Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trapping question  (Read 673 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
trapping question
« on: November 18, 2011, 09:45:43 pm »

how the hell do i capture a fucking elephant.

P.S. tell me how to use animal traps
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: trapping question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 09:54:44 pm »

Animal traps are for catching vermin only and right now they don't even really do that. If you want to capture an elephant then you will need to use a cage trap that requires a cage and one mechanism. The you just set it up and wait for the elephant to wander into it. Also note that you won't be able to keep your elephant alive without modding however, as they currently can not eat enough food to stop from starving to death with the vanilla raws.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:59:47 pm »

1. Animal traps are to capture rats and stuff like that. Imagine trying to catch elephants with a mousetrap.

2. To catch elephants, you need a cage trap, which requires mechanisms, which require a. stone, b. a mechanic, and c. a mechanic's workshop, which require a. a miner, b. a spare dwarf, and c. something to build it with and a place to put it. To load the cage trap, you need a (usually wooden) cage; wood cages require a. wood, b. a carpenter, and c. a carpenter's workshop, which require a. a woodcutter, b. a spare dwarf, and c. something to build it with and a place to put it. (b)uild a (T)rap, selecting a (c)age trap and using the arrow keys to put it where you want it to go. Your mechanic will build and then load the trap if you have mechanisms and a cage. To get the elephants in the cage requires them to step on it, which requires luck and probably some specially arranged walls around it to funnel in animals.

3. You can't tame elephants without removing the _EXOTIC from their [PET_EXOTIC] tag, can't trade them, and even if you make or buy a tame elephant, it literally can't feed itself fast enough not to starve.

Hopefully helpful and sufficiently in-depth...and ninja'd, of course.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 10:11:49 pm »

it literally can't feed itself fast enough not to starve.

That can be modded as well: if you give "unfeedable" animals like elephants or yaks grazer values comparable to those of cows or horses then they should be able to survive. I don't know if this requires generating a new world though.

Animal traps are for catching vermin only and right now they don't even really do that.

Animal traps placed like buildings may be broken (haven't even tested them in .31) but the catch live land animal job at the kennel seems to be suitable for getting rid of any rats or lizards found in your stockpiles.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:26:31 pm »

That can be modded as well: if you give "unfeedable" animals like elephants or yaks grazer values comparable to those of cows or horses then they should be able to survive. I don't know if this requires generating a new world though.
Yeah, but I didn't want to overwhelm him...not sure how well I did on that...

Animal traps are for catching vermin only and right now they don't even really do that.

Animal traps placed like buildings may be broken (haven't even tested them in .31) but the catch live land animal job at the kennel seems to be suitable for getting rid of any rats or lizards found in your stockpiles.
Hm, interesting...I'll research trapping.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 10:59:39 pm »

Yeah, but I didn't want to overwhelm him...not sure how well I did on that...

Hm, interesting...I'll research trapping.

im aware of this but will elephants die if they are tame? cuase i want war elephants

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 02:08:52 am »

unless you change the raws, yes they will die
unless you change the raws you can only get tame elephant from a trader
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 02:23:26 pm »

unless you change the raws, yes they will die
unless you change the raws you can only get tame elephant from a trader

were in the raws do i do that?
and no they can be tame i know this as a fact

i also want to do this for koblods and rihnos
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 02:44:38 pm by jaxler »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 05:13:47 pm »

Go into the creature_large_tropical.txt file an change [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET] and [MOUNT_EXOTIC] to [MOUNT] to allow taming. Then change [GRAZER:12] into a higher number, such as [GRAZER:30]. The higher the number the less they need to eat in order to stay alive. At a number of about 25 it becomes extremely difficult (requiring huge grazing areas and a little luck) to keep them alive, and at 20 it becomes physically impossible to keep them alive.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 07:37:31 pm »

Go into the creature_large_tropical.txt file an change [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET] and [MOUNT_EXOTIC] to [MOUNT] to allow taming. Then change [GRAZER:12] into a higher number, such as [GRAZER:30]. The higher the number the less they need to eat in order to stay alive. At a number of about 25 it becomes extremely difficult (requiring huge grazing areas and a little luck) to keep them alive, and at 20 it becomes physically impossible to keep them alive.

cool thanks u helped a lot