Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FPS for a well developed fort  (Read 2126 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FPS for a well developed fort
« on: November 18, 2011, 08:38:05 pm »

Mine hovers around 30 for a 180 dwarf, developed fort, standard embark size with all cavern levels breached.

I began to wonder if this was good or bad, figured the community would know.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: FPS for a well developed fort
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 08:54:41 pm »

Better than mine. 4x4 embark, Caverns breached, Magma sea reached, 200+ dwarves, LOTS of animals, shitloads of goblinite, weather and temperature on, and my FPS hovers around 17.

So yeah,  I'd say you're doing good.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:17:31 pm »

I find my 5 year plus forts hover around 20 Fps so thirty isn't bad. Regardless of how good your computer is DF has the potential to bring it to it's knees in terms of proccessing requirements.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 09:28:28 pm »

Don't know about you guys, but with 200-ish dwarves, low animals (slaughter time! :D ), about 450 overall z levels (advanced world parameters), 6x6-8x8 embark, all caverns breached, volcano, river, no HFS, I run anywhere from 30-50.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:57:08 pm »

I have a fort at 7-8 years, which has maintained ~120 dwarves over the years (goblins and no craft industry has kept the numbers down), has one cavern layer (openness 80-100), and only ~50 stone/soil levels, and is 5x5 with no river.

its dropped to 17 fps during the last year (with zero new immigrants, mind you) from 30.

I'm trying a new fort with all clothes modded out (just erased the raw files for every clothing type that can degrade), because supposedly those are the biggest fps-killers in the game due to outstanding bugs. I'll tell y'all how its fps fares after its reached a similar stage as the fort above.

btw, that fort was EPIC until it started freeze-dieing.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 11:07:45 pm »

Congrats azure - as far as I can remember you've had the highest new-thread-to-time ratio I've seen in a long time... I think you peaked at 6 threads on page 1 at one point.

Not complaining - this forum isn't nearly big enough to have clutter issues - just pointing out your accomplishment for what it's worth.

now to the OP

I have a smoking-hot machine that can run a 250-dwarf fort while still maintaining 80-90 fps with temp off, 50 with temp on.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 01:50:36 am »

Well you know what they say, it's great to learn! Cause knowledge is power!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 01:53:05 am »

I'm hovering at around 35-40fps with temperature on, a five year old fort and 90 dwarves (thought at 180 the fps was not really changed). I use DFhack to remove ownership on clothes of dead dwarves, then atomise them. Temp's on, two caverns uncovered. Not much else.

dyllionaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 02:12:55 am »

I currently have 214 Dwarves and 15 animals all running around my fort merrily with a constant FPS of 100. The only time it dips below is when I mass dump 1000 pieces of stone or something. My personal trick is to create a nudist colony, dumping all the clothing into the magma sea. I have thousands of different types of items and a running river. The only thing is that I turned off Temperature and Weather. Temperature does little in terms of gameplay for my current fort and drops my FPS about 40-50 FPS when I breach the magma sea.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 02:40:09 am »

Well you know what they say, it's great to learn! Cause knowledge is power!
Schoolhouse rock... Haven't heard that in years. :)

OP: 175 dwarves, 100 z-levels, 4x4 embark and too many pets (I can't seem to cage them fast enough >.>) gives me about 17 FPS. Note I'm on a laptop.

With a pump stack of 40 pumps drawing up magma from the sea, I get a FPS of 0 (0). If it wasn't so well documented, I might almost think it a bug. lol
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 02:44:28 am »

Schoolhouse Rock? Goddamn it, now I have Elbow Room stuck in my head.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 04:41:37 am »

Default embark size, shit-crap-mega-carp-magma load of grey beastmen bodies and clothes everywhere all caverns breached spoiler sea found, 133 dwarfs 60~90 FPS.(and a brook)
Is this good?
Embark size cripples FPS to much or I can try a bigger embark?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 05:45:39 am »

I usually limit my dwarf population so that I have around 80-100 dwarves, with 4x4 embark and first cave uncovered, then I turn temperature off, lock animals into cage and mantain around 80fps with my ancient PC. One of the biggest things that drop my fps after that is all the trash items I create and the armors/weapons/cloths from sieges which I usually just atmosmash. Maybe its time to buy a new computer so I can enjoy the game to its fullest.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 05:48:45 am »

Hmmm. With all features on, and breached caverns, and dwarves around 120-150 in the 4x4 fort, I get FPS somewhere along then 25-30 range.

Which is playable for me :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

dyllionaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 04:49:36 pm »

I'm really surprised at how slow most people are running the game at  :o
I have a pretty cheap, older computer and I'm much over 200 Dwarves right now with thousands of items everywhere and I'm still at 100.
What are the main computer components that determine FPS in Dwarf Fortress? I don't know much about computing, but I would imagine it's the CPU and RAM. Anyone know? 
Pages: [1] 2