Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Healing with saltwater?  (Read 3658 times)

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Healing with saltwater?
« on: November 18, 2011, 01:00:56 pm »

On of my unlucky woodcutters got mauled to death by a giant badger. He even had an iron axe and actually knew how to use it, but reading the combat report I saw that it jumped on him, charging, and got him by surprise. The poor guy didn't even have a chance to defend himself, and managed to retaliate, and miss, only once, a few seconds before his death. That was the last message, beside him bleeding to death.

I'm also building a cistern as I have only saltwater. My masons got assaulted by the badgers, but noone has been killed, miraculously.

My rather decent militia (only a few waves of migrants, some were quite good soldiers). Proceed to chase them away. They kill them, and only one dwarf gets her head cut and later torn open, but she survived without any internal injuries.

Another wave of badgers appears and manages to injure many of my soldiers. They all have only one or two cuts that aren't that horrible, but they all get bedridden and must drink only water, that is salty. One of them luckily healed on his own, but his body is still dented. He is incredibly quick to heal, though.

I don't know if I can finish the cistern in time, and I'd hate losing them to such minor cuts, especially while having about three great doctors and lots of cloth and thread (drowned the elven traders :P)

The water in the cavern's pools are also salty.  :( Do I have any options besides finishing the cistern?

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Healing with saltwater?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 01:21:23 pm »

build a well?

i've heard that wells have the same water purification properties of a screw pump.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 01:31:55 pm »

See this thread:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95811.msg2732917

In short, wells don't desalinate water, but dwarves are perfectly willing to use salty water from a well to drink and clean wounds.  Build one or more wells over a salt water source and have some spare buckets, and you should be fine.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 10:18:41 am »

Oh, thank Armok! Didn't expect it to be so... easy. I thought I'll have to build some dorfy project in order to get fresh water. I tried the crew pump method, but it would take too much time, the time that the wounded don't actually have.

I'll go build a well of two asap, and the doctors can start treating the poor soldiers. Thank you very much guys!

On a more grim note, as the militia was driving the giant badgers away, one of them attacked an unlucky civilian near the blacksmith area. The civilian dodged the attack... into a volcano .___.

You have discovered a great magma sea.
Then messages of various metals I have "struck" aka what he discovered while falling down.
Tukstis Monalahdo, Fish Cleaner, has bled to death.

The poor guy didn't even fall to the bottom, if there even is a bottom... He slowly melted in the magma while falling for hundreds of Z-levels (155 to be exact).

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 03:33:50 pm »

Then messages of various metals I have "struck" aka what he discovered while falling down.

The poor guy didn't even fall to the bottom, if there even is a bottom... He slowly melted in the magma while falling for hundreds of Z-levels (155 to be exact).

Ouch.  I could see it though:

"Hey guys, there's tetrahedrite!  Now some gold...oh hey now there's some silver!  And some platinum just flashed by, oh wait, that's my life."
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 04:04:16 pm »

"Hey guys, there's tetrahedrite!  Now some gold...oh hey now there's some silver!  And some platinum just flashed by, oh wait, that's my life."
Guys, you have to see this!  Guys?  Guys?!  Damn, but its getting hot in here ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 09:16:20 pm »

At least the last thing he saw was a shiny native gold wall :P

And this got me thinking... Is there any end to a volcano? How deep can creatures drop in there? I'm actually tempted to drop animals peasants elves in order to find candy veins more easily. But I'm afraid elves won't reveal the dark tiles, as they're not a part of my fortress.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 09:56:55 pm »

Depending on what they are wearing, I believe they can fall/sink all the way to the bottom of Necro910's swimming pool the magma sea before dying of blood-loss from the burning.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 01:24:25 pm »

Well, bottomless pits in 40d had no bottom to them, you could fall for IRL days and never hit the end. Maybe volcanoes are the same.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Iren

• Bay Watcher
  • I BREW THE BEER I DRINK
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 02:10:35 pm »

Ha! I had dropped this annoying mayor who kept asking for rat bone items down a volcano and he even found the candy veins when he reached the bottom magma seas. Then survived for a few clicks with major bone wounds and bled himself to death.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 02:55:42 pm »

Depending on what they are wearing, I believe they can fall/sink all the way to the bottom of the magma sea before dying of blood-loss from the burning.
If you drop a creature into a volcano, it will fall all the way down to the bottom before it starts burning.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 05:30:25 pm »

Ha! I had dropped this annoying mayor who kept asking for rat bone items down a volcano and he even found the candy veins when he reached the bottom magma seas. Then survived for a few clicks with major bone wounds and bled himself to death.

I thought falls greater than 10 z-levels are always fatal and instant-kill.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 05:33:15 pm »

Falling through liquid doesn't count, and falling through Z-levels of liquid will actually partly negate levels fallen through air.  Bizarrely, water and magma seem to both work equally well.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 07:19:23 pm »

Falling through liquid doesn't count, and falling through Z-levels of liquid will actually partly negate levels fallen through air.  Bizarrely, water and magma seem to both work equally well.
There's a few threads about Dwarves falling 150 z lvls down a volcano through the lava, and actually bleeding to death before melting, or even breaking bones and stuff.
Makes you wonder, if you fell down a volcano....

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 09:38:14 pm »

You should always design your wells to be non-accessible once filled, and always fill them with a screw pump. Best not to make them too elaborate. Dwarves always seem to panic to spew blood and pus everywhere once they get wind of a project to build a well.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.