Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: kitty cat problem!  (Read 4062 times)

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
kitty cat problem!
« on: November 18, 2011, 10:57:44 am »

So a while back a kitty cat came to my fortress and had kittens...

and about three-4 years later i counted and now have 50 kitties! cool i love cats!

this also presents a problem; i only ever butchered one cat for a quick artifact making dwarf. but i imagine eventaully my 8k of "other" food will run down and i might butcher kitties sometime in the future for a totalyl closed off fort, but i love kitties!

should i do it, or find other ways of food? i got cats everywehre! the ratio of cats to dwarfs is 1:3!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: kitty cat problem!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 11:17:39 am »

Congrats, sounds like you've undergone your first catsplosion.

You could put them all in a single cage - that would work. If you want to utilize them, make sure you put the cage near an entrance, with a pressure plate linked to it, right beside it. Troll comes in, kitties say hi. Troll fights off 50+ cats while your army gets ready.

Don't use it as anything but a last-ditch line of defense, or you will have lots and lots of fun.
...actually, if you use it as your first line of defense, that would effectively solve your cat problem.  :D
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 11:26:13 am »

This is a blank sig.

Kijiro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 11:33:28 am »

The more cats you have in your fortress, the more they will multiply. This can cause major  performance issues with the game. I try to keep my cat population around 10. Even if you really like cats, it isn't worth the potential problems having too many cats can cause.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Catsplosion

In my opinion, you should start marking most of them for slaughter, or cram them into a cage before it's too late.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 11:40:52 am »

Well if you have 8k food, and still have a pretty low amount of dwarves, food will probably be the least of your worries for quite some time. I never intentionally slaughter my cats, the sieges and ambushes take care of that already. Keep in mind though, that if the cats take a particular liking to a certain dwarf, he or she may very well end up going bonkers if they meet an untimely end. This is especially dangerous for militia dwarves.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 12:55:42 pm »

I once had a dwarf that owned 36 cats. They followed her everywhere. She was the cat lady of the fortress.

I only brought two cats at embark. They just multiply, and multiply, and multiply... until you have more cats than you have dwarves.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 02:54:39 pm »

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-518-nuclearcatsplosion

Solved.

WHAT??!

But I love kitties!

Oh, can to train cats for war? That would be cool. I could use them to get rid of those pesky forgotten beasts. they are never much trouble for a relatively decent squad.

Also i've never had a dwarf go bonkers over lossing a pet. Every siege we easily lose around 1-2 kitties. Could I just cage them and then sell them? I would hate to kill cats; I'm really a cat person.

Also I have 143 or so dwarves, we lost a few militia men in two seiges that came close together. I forgot to take borrow restrictions off and and guys with like only a broken arm sat until they died of thirst >.>

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 03:28:39 pm »

The loss of a single pet is pretty easy to recover from, depending on how developed you fort is. It's when a dwarf animal hoarder loses half of the little kitten clan that they've built up over the years that you should probably start worrying for their sanity.

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 03:35:14 pm »

Read OP and thought this is DF Troll gold. Good luck my friend ... good luck.

On a serious note the above posts pretty much say what I would. Remember super heating cats can be harmful to your dorfs health.
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 03:38:55 pm »

OMG FULL VERSION OF MINECRAFT IS RELEASED TODAY! THE ADVENTURE UPDATE WIL LBE COMPLETE, SCREW THIS!

sorry i just heard!

anyway, on topic...

is there any tangible wayI could use kitties for war? would they actually fight?

Read OP and thought this is DF Troll gold.

I can give you screenshots if you do not believe that i have 50 cats... I just do not like the idea of killing them off. dwarves? sure im probably fine with that. but there is a certain instinctual urge for people to not want to kill cute things. dunno why but the idea of killing domesticated animals that are pets in real life really disturbs me even in a game.

like, does no one ever feel this way? its weird we can kill a bunch of dwarves but it feels just wrong to kill a cat in a game

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 03:51:19 pm »

like, does no one ever feel this way? its weird we can kill a bunch of dwarves but it feels just wrong to kill a cat in a game
You see, the one thing everyone is united on hating is FPS death. Some players can cope with diabolically slow FPS, most just quit and start afresh. Exactly how slow is "too slow" is different from people to people but most people have a threshold below which they will not tolerate unless their fort has something really awesome going for it.

Cats accelerate the FPS death of a fort. Furthermore, they hypnotise dwarves into becoming their owners and become a fuse for tantrums when lots of cats attach to one dwarf and they all die in some horrible accident or attack. Therefore, measures are taken to limit them. Killing is the most convenient way of doing this, but locking them up in cages are another option. Tell you what though, the best option is to go to the raws and disable the infamous "cat adopts dwarf" behaviour. Then you can let the cats do whatever and see whether you can tolerate the FPS death without having to worry about the tantrum risk of having so many cats.

If this was Elona instead of DF, you would instead be heavily penalised in-game for killing cats. Different games, different attitudes.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 04:33:42 pm »

I never(intentionally)kill anything outside of what my policy allows. What kind of omnipotent god-king would I be if I went around carelessly taking life without reason?

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 05:03:53 pm »

I never(intentionally)kill anything outside of what my policy allows. What kind of omnipotent god-king would I be if I went around carelessly taking life without reason?
The feared and capricious kind.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 05:25:00 pm »

Does "for fun" count as a reason?

Anyway, if you really think killing cats in DF is wrong, well... I guess you haven't been around the forums for too long.

Anyone cares to link the mermaid extractor? (or whatever was it's name)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 05:38:05 pm »

Does "for fun" count as a reason?

Anyway, if you really think killing cats in DF is wrong, well... I guess you haven't been around the forums for too long.

Anyone cares to link the mermaid extractor? (or whatever was it's name)

Mermaids...
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25967.0

And there is another thread about a supersoldier-baby training room with 'rabid' dogs and magma showers... but as for some one who is against killing hypnokittens, you may not want to read it. It made me laugh and cringe in horror at the same time - it is the epitome of dwarven !!SCIENCE!!.
(a>b) ? false : true
Pages: [1] 2 3