Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Share some good battle stories  (Read 4513 times)

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
Re: Share some good battle stories
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2011, 11:53:31 am »

Wildnesspaged was a moat-surrounded tower, accessible only via retractable bridge.

The embark was in the happiest, most magical place imaginable: clouds of pixies, wandering unicorns, fluffy wamblers and all that jazz. It was an unrecognizable wasteland of ash, blood and stone by the time we were through with it.

We had decided to dig down in search of raw adamantine but, knowing Terrible Things lurked in the depths of the world, our entrance to the caverns below was far from the main fortress. Strategic levers and bridges ensured nothing would escape or get through without our knowing, and for a time it worked.

No fewer than five forgotten beasts were wandering the depths while the fortress went about its daily business, oblivious and happy. The military of Wildnesspaged was incredibly hardened, with its fair share of completely desensitized legendary marksdwarfs. Eventually, we decided we needed to move down into those caverns, so the first step was to clear out the beasts.

A "killing floor" was set up for the FB's to wander into, along with live bait (chained gobos). The lure part worked, but not the killing part. All five FB's blew past the defenses and made it out onto the surface of the world.

One of these FB's was a blob made of fire. When it emerged onto the surface, the grassy hills went up in flames. The clouds of pixies evaporated. Everything turned to ash. The framerate dropped until it was nigh unplayable, but I waited for the fires to die down.

The military had retreated to the main tower of Wildnesspaged and, from the safety of the other side of the retractable bridge, fired on the FB's that snarled and gnashed their many mouths with impotent fury.

One dwarf hadn't made it in time: Olom, one of the newest recruits and a marksdwarf. Instead, she stood on the hill next to Wildnesspaged and sniped the FB's. She shot the blob of fire in the "heart" and it exploded, melting the skin off the giant serpent-like FB next to it.

The serpent-beast, now skinless, turned and attachked Olom, and the two of them fought while the ground around them continued to burn. I had never seen anything so epic.

Unfortunately for Olom, the FB killed her when it struck her with its tail and sent her flying into a boulder. She hit it with such force that she exploded, and some of her limbs were never recovered. The FB, however, died from its wounds, so her death had not been in vain.

The next time an elven caravan arrived, it had to ride past the river where there floated rotting unicorn carcasses that had unicorn-bone bolts sticking out of them, into a field of ash and blood where once were verdant fields with pixies and fluffy wamblers, choking their way through the chimneys that vented clouds of miasma from my refuse and graveyard stockpiles just beneath the surface.

Damn it feels good to be a dwarf.
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Share some good battle stories
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 12:16:30 pm »

Goblin ambush came. Mopped them down, 0 casualties. But wait, I was wrong, there was one casualty. Lo and behold, my new marksdorf had such great aim he shot my militia commander in the back of the head with his crossbow, piercing the iron helmet, and killing him instantly. He had no other kills. I burrowed him to the caverns, and he wrestles 3 GCS to death. Still kicking, Armok bless his soul. I dropped him a training axe and now he's getting herbalist experience while brewing his own booze.

I was under the impression that marksdwarves didn't create friendly fire incidents.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart
Pages: 1 2 [3]