Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pop cap not working?  (Read 2169 times)

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
pop cap not working?
« on: November 17, 2011, 10:44:33 pm »

I went into my d_int files and put the pop cap at 120 a while back... and migrants put me over 150.

Anyway later I made a new fort and wanted to see if I could run with 12 dwarves and set my cap to 12... now im over that limit.

It looks like this in the d_int file:

You can set the maximum population of your fortress here.  Keep in mind that your population must be at least 80 to get a king and 100 to obtain the current game features.

[POPULATION_CAP:12]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: pop cap not working?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:58:43 pm »

a) The game checks your population cap when your home civ's liaison arrives, so you can get migrants between setting the pop cap and the dwarven caravan's arrival.
b) The game won't shut off migrants mid-wave if the cap is reached - you'll get the entire wave.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 11:34:13 pm »

Also I believe that if your civilization is far enough away form your fort then there might be a migration wave or two "in transit" from the civilization to your fort that will still show up even though you are over.

As for the 12 dwarves, remember that the first two waves of migrants are hardcoded and will show up no matter what your settings are, and will even show up if your civilization is dead. Also I think there is a hardcoded population minimum (20 maybe) that you will receive migrants under regardless of settings.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 11:36:56 pm »

Actually, like I said, the game waits for the first caravan - my current fort is made by a modded civ with caravans in the summer and only the first wave is guaranteed there.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 03:53:18 am »

Ah, so the check against the cap happens upon the arrival of the liaison? That makes quite a lot of sense. Thanks for the heads up!
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 11:33:02 am »

From what I understand, the child cap is a percentage of current population, so your fortress could slowly grow to a large number of dwarves over the years, as children grow into adults, freeing up a slot for another child (and gradually producing more slots for future children, if total population rises in spite of moods/invaders/tantrums/magma/etc.).

You could still become the capital...in 50 or 100 years...

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 02:43:32 pm »

Actually, one can also set a hard cap. The more stringent of the two conditions (hard or percent cap) is met.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 02:49:28 pm »

the 120  cap on the one fort seemed to work after our liason came. as for the fort with 12, i got bored with that one and wanted to use that world for adventuring!

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 09:30:16 pm »

the 120  cap on the one fort seemed to work after our liason came. as for the fort with 12, i got bored with that one and wanted to use that world for adventuring!

well some advice.
if 10+ above pop cap is a problem just put the little buggers on a draw bridge over 10 z lvls(1 z per dwarf) and just let the magic happen as your lil dwarfies fly away.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 11:05:41 pm »

Also I think there is a hardcoded population minimum (20 maybe) that you will receive migrants under regardless of settings.
The hardcoded waves have a minimum of 2 dwarves each, which makes the minimum population 11.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 11:23:14 pm »

Also I think there is a hardcoded population minimum (20 maybe) that you will receive migrants under regardless of settings.
The hardcoded waves have a minimum of 2 dwarves each, which makes the minimum population 11.

well some advice.
if 10+ above pop cap is a problem just put the little buggers on a draw bridge over 10 z lvls(1 z per dwarf) and just let the magic happen as your lil dwarfies fly away.

pop=7 agean.

I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms