Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I accidentally crippled Dwarfkind's greatest hope.  (Read 1472 times)

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I accidentally crippled Dwarfkind's greatest hope.
« on: November 17, 2011, 09:54:05 pm »

So I got the danger room going, sent the soldiers in, turned it on. What I had forgotten was that my two finest soldiers (an axe lord and a sword lord) were unfortunately not intelligent enough not to bring their new arrival with them. On closer examination, the kid is near the perfect soldier (strong, tough, fast...), all in all the son of his parents. His brief stint in the danger room, however, didn't treat him well. Broken spine, broken arms... bruised everything... he'll never walk again.

So what do I do with the kid now? I'm terrified to send mom and dad back into the danger room for fear he'll die and I'll have the two most badass dwarves in the fort go nuts.

WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: I accidentally crippled Dwarfkind's greatest hope.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:03:04 pm »

Broken spine? ..

Oh dear. Hm. You can build him a room far to the edge of the map and hope he gets kidnapped. I don't think parents get a very bad thought from that and you won't have to feed him for the next hundred years.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 10:06:23 pm »

How well-stocked is your hospital? We may yet be able to save him. Broken spines don't automatically mean permanent loss of walking. If the nervous tissue is damaged beyond bruising, though, he's buggered.

Also, I find it's never a good idea to have both halves of a married couple in the military at once. If either one of them dies, you have a very not-happy military dwarf, as opposed to the more likely unhappy civilian if only one of them is militarized.
くコ:彡

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 10:06:38 pm »

This. Calls. For. SURGICAL MAGMA IMPLANTATIONS.

SebbyTheFreak

• Bay Watcher
  • Gold for the Gold God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 10:11:09 pm »

Broken spine? ..

Oh dear. Hm. You can build him a room far to the edge of the map and hope he gets kidnapped. I don't think parents get a very bad thought from that and you won't have to feed him for the next hundred years.

And then one day, in another fort... one of the goblin sieger will be a quadraplegic dwarf...

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 10:20:17 pm »

He just died of infection. His mum wouldn't put him down to seek medical attention. Which I suppose is rather heartwrenching, but still annoying.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 10:25:54 pm »

And neither of them went insane.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 10:44:22 pm »

So I got the danger room going, sent the soldiers in, turned it on. What I had forgotten was that my two finest soldiers (an axe lord and a sword lord) were unfortunately not intelligent enough not to bring their new arrival with them. On closer examination, the kid is near the perfect soldier (strong, tough, fast...), all in all the son of his parents. His brief stint in the danger room, however, didn't treat him well. Broken spine, broken arms... bruised everything... he'll never walk again.

So what do I do with the kid now? I'm terrified to send mom and dad back into the danger room for fear he'll die and I'll have the two most badass dwarves in the fort go nuts.

If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly.

If he's likely to die, you should kill him immediately, assuming he was born very recently. The positive thought a dwarf gets from having a baby is more powerful than the negative one from a child dying, so it's best to kill the baby as soon after birth as possible. I've had new mothers lose their kids and still be "ecstatic" over having had kids in the first place.

EDIT: oog, I should really have read the later updates in this thread before writing.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:49:52 pm by zzedar »
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 12:15:25 am »

Make him a soldier anyway. Back in a community fort I played, a couple of recruits lost both the use of a leg and one of their arms due to an unfortunate accident at the local arena. I jokingly recruited them back into the military as cannon fodder in spite of this, and lo and behold 6 years later the crutchwalking, one-armed axedwarf is one of the finest soldiers we have.

Granted I think you need both legs to crutch-walk, but with diligence he shall overcome.

Edit: Oh, and you have to be alive. That too.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:19:02 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 12:17:23 am »

It's hard to draft a corpse.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 12:39:10 am »

Until necromancy, anyway...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 01:04:08 am »

Which wouldn't necessarily permit one to draft the dead, just have the undead wandering around, probably attacking just about anything they see. Some degree of cunning may be necessary to properly utilize them...

But yeah, don't let married women work in the military. Or men, for that matter. Or anyone with friends... Just expect that anyone involved with the military needs to be expendable, because they're most likely going to die at the worst possible time.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 02:46:38 am »

I've found a good use for this sort of thing.

Check their preferences. Injured dwarves with good preferences get stuck in the dining hall if at all possible, to get them elected to nobles. Enjoy silver and warhammers? Can do!

I thought it would be a great idea to promote a dwarf with no arms to captain of the guard, once. Until a noble got pissed off and turned him into Urist McBruceLee.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:48:09 am by Deus Machina »
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.