Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Old RTS Games?  (Read 4997 times)

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
Re: Old RTS Games?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 01:32:15 pm »

Heh. Computer class seemed to consist of that too at our school. Of course, one year my computer teacher also taught American History- I had him twice a day and he ended the year making everyone play AAA (Axis And Allies, IIRC)- even the American Hist kids.

Since I'm bored, wanna play AoE? Only thing I have an ISO of right now.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 01:44:45 pm »

Age of Empires 2. Nothing better than that.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 01:53:34 pm »

Age of Empires 2. Nothing better than that.
Aye. It's a pretty good game. 'Course, haven't played it more than two or three times.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 02:08:34 pm »

It's nostalgia speaking, of course, but it's definitely the best historic RTS of all time. OF ALL TIME!
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 02:17:15 pm »

Someone did manage to instal AoE Rise of Rome on the master server, and we'd play a game or two after school in the "daycare" thing.  I would always pwn just by sitting silently and building an army of ~40 elephants and steamrolling everyone else.  Add a handful of monks and some mounted archers (horse, usually, not elephant archers) in case the enemy had caught on that "oh god when I stand still I get raped by this elephant because it's the strongest, slowest unit ever!"  Eventually some would try to kit me with mounted archers, so I'd produce my own, or just ransack their less mobile structures and pull back.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 03:26:45 pm »

I have not been able to get CnC Generals to work at all through Lan. Also, for some of the games, lan play seems...disabled for "The First Decade". I'm assuming you can't play The First Decade through Lan at all, unfortunately. If you can get at least one of the games to work, I'll be all ears. Remember that games in The First Decade are updated, therefore having a different version.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

White Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Puppeh? (also stabs)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 08:57:37 pm »

I have not been able to get CnC Generals to work at all through Lan. Also, for some of the games, lan play seems...disabled for "The First Decade". I'm assuming you can't play The First Decade through Lan at all, unfortunately. If you can get at least one of the games to work, I'll be all ears. Remember that games in The First Decade are updated, therefore having a different version.

You'll need the unofficial patch to play the first four games on lan, as windows no longer supports ipx networks.
I don't remember ever trying renegade multiplayer, but generals *should* work fine.
HUNGRY PROGRAMMER NEEDS BANDWIDTH. FOOD UNIMPORTANT.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2011, 03:57:15 am »

This thread is SOOO win.

things to say:

1: this makes me want to pull out my old RTS games now.
2: war 3 is still up, battlenet and all, just... mostly empty..
3: I'd put a game on our school image, if I thought I could get away with it, maybe next year as a senior I might though. (I'm in line to work it anyway)
4: these games with lan... that's how we spend class. "you get the work done?" "yes" "show me your paperwork" "here" "online test?" "sent" ... "ok guys, what game today?  generals, tibeian sun, C&C, RA1, RA2, war3, starcraft, age of empires, or something else?"

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 04:08:54 am »

War 3? Warcraft? That isn't empty at all. Its just full of DotA :)

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 07:52:20 am »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:50:54 pm by Stany »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 08:34:32 am »

I may be one of the only people left on Earth that still has a registered Kali client.  :P

I still have my AoE I and II disks floating around somewhere. What I'd really like to get a match of going is Magic Carpet (1 or 2, although I did like 2 slightly better). In a lot of ways, it was a proto-DotA: you had a nexus/turret (your castle, which also had archers defending it), all the players started out weak and had to farm mobs to build up mana, and combat was a lot of skirmishing early on until people started getting built up. Late-game, you were hurling meteors around and reshaping the landscape.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 08:51:45 am »

I tried AoK online, it seems in 1v1s Huns are almost always chosen and you get rushed in the Feudal Age by skirmishers. I was fine with that, until I got abused for being noob. :/ This was on Voobly, I heard GameRanger's community is better, albeit smaller.
Meh.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 10:55:14 am »

I don't know if this counts as old but I just played through the cybran campaign for the original supreme commander, its online is also pretty dead, FA has users though.

Also have tiberian sun, and the original C&C.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 11:19:18 am »

I'm going to try out the GameRanger thing. Putting up a game of Star Wars: Clone Campaigns.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 12:03:10 pm »

oh, i almost forgot! Tiberium sun. still good, now it's freeware, and it works on Win 7 (win 7, Home edition) without the funny colour thing. at least for me, that is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3