Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Old RTS Games?  (Read 4990 times)

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
Old RTS Games?
« on: November 17, 2011, 08:14:08 pm »

So as I perused my mound of disks, (to try and somehow find my Supreme Commander thing) I discovered that I had a huge amount of games just piled up. Is there any way to actually play half of those online? I'm talking about games like Age of Empires (the first!) and Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. They seem to be old enough that the official lobbies would have been shut down by now. Is there anyone who is able/wants to play any of those old games? I tried to search around, but couldn't find any threads that haven't been dead for a while.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: Old RTS Games?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 08:16:39 pm »

Try Tunngle

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 08:20:49 pm »

Most of them, you could actually find a product key online as they've been abandoned.  As an extension, the official servers are more than likely down, but that won't change the direct IP connection games.  Looking over my disks (ordered up on top of my desk): ORB Off-World Resource Base, Conquest: Frontier Wars, Populous: The Beginning, Battlezone II: Combat Commander, Shogun: Total War, Homeworld 2, and Warcraft 3 - these are readily available, though I've got a handful more somewhere and could probably pirate some others because no one cares about the old ones.

Super-points if someone has Metal Fatigue and can hook me up with an iso!

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 08:29:39 pm »

I'm not sure whats considered old, but I would certainly be up for any old Command and Conquer games, or Homeworld 1. Though I could never get CnC games to work through Lan.

Also: Use Hamachi, not Tunngle. More of us have Hamachi, and I've found Tunngle to be a headache to get working.

Actually, now that I think of it, getting an MP Homeworld 1 game going would be epic.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 08:35:34 pm »

I've been meaning to play a multiplayer game of AoE or SW:GB against someone online.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 08:53:39 pm »

GameRanger. It's good.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 10:04:48 pm »

I remember the first RTS game I played online was Empire Dawn of the Modern World.  It was a lot of fun and I have been addicted to online gaming ever since.

And I second the recomendation of Gameranger, it is a great way to get old games to work.  Used it on Age of Empires 2 myself along with a couple of other games I cant remember.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 11:25:41 am »

OOoh. That Gameranger thing looks fascinating. The question is, does it serve the function of Hamachi? Or is it serving the function of an organization tool?

I'm definitely up for a game of SW:GB. I used to play those a whole bunch with my little siblings. I recently tried playing them, but it turns out that really young children are not as good at RTS games as I thought. Ahh... I remember the first time I got SW:GB working with more than two computers. It was like- YyyyeeaaaAAAHH!

And then one of them would crash midgame.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 11:46:14 am »

Gameranger servers both purposes. It organizes people who want to play a game, and then when its time to play it does its little VPN wizardry and hooks you up. Actually goes into autopilot and takes over the game for a second to get it all set up, if I recall correctly.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 11:58:29 am »

Gameranger servers both purposes. It organizes people who want to play a game, and then when its time to play it does its little VPN wizardry and hooks you up. Actually goes into autopilot and takes over the game for a second to get it all set up, if I recall correctly.
Whoa. Fancy. Now I just need to ISO all my old games and find some new key codes.

Edit: Don't leave your computer and talk to someone else. People may enjoy leaving messages in your stead.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:01:09 pm by Edio »

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 12:35:55 pm »

red alert 1, and 2. the first RTS games that i played. and RA2 is still good. i havea the soviet disc, and have completed the campaign for many times. good days...

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 12:40:10 pm »

I really liked Dune 2000.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 12:49:59 pm »

Oh shit Dune 2000 :D  I loved that game, but installed it on so many school computers that I burned out the disk :P

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 01:20:22 pm »

Heh. Slip Dune into the image before Tech reimages all the computers. Watch ALL of the computers be imaged with it.

Hm. Does C&C:1st Decade work with standalone versions?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 01:26:39 pm »

My school didn't have that, it was a private school and we didn't use any crummy backups!  There was no one computer-literate enough hack a computer, much less back up from a master image.  For real, in 9th grade we had a class on typing and saving things to floppy disks, where the teacher was learning from the book as she went.

Regardless, I never got into C&C, probably my first issue of "everyone loves this, so I'm going to hate it".  Mostly because I got tired of hearing about it.  "hey what's up?" "well I was on C&C last night-" "nevermind."
Pages: [1] 2 3