Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarven Necropoli  (Read 5429 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Necropoli
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2011, 01:16:56 pm »

flying mount goblins in vanilla tend to get stuck, since the rider is plotting along the ground and the mount through the air
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2011, 01:20:53 pm »

I think I'm going to try something new out in my next fort.

Dig a channel, stuff the coffin in it, and bury the dorf in it.
When he/she is put inside, the floor above the coffin is floored over.

This could prove interesting if I do it in the dining room or something.

"You see that floor that doesn't match the rest of the stone in the room?  That's where my wife is buried, Urist.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2011, 02:10:08 pm »

I can see the next logical[1] step there.  Put it in an obsidian-casting zone, mine the resulting obsidian, create a new sarcophagus from that obsidian.

I can't see any problems with that at all!!!!

[1] FCVO...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2011, 02:17:05 pm »

I think I'm going to try something new out in my next fort.

Dig a channel, stuff the coffin in it, and bury the dorf in it.
When he/she is put inside, the floor above the coffin is floored over.

This could prove interesting if I do it in the dining room or something.

"You see that floor that doesn't match the rest of the stone in the room?  That's where my wife is buried, Urist.
It's like what we do with cathedrals only a little more pervasive!

I personally tend to set up a ton of 3x3 rooms on a floor and make tombs/burial sites out of them. My important dwarves then get bigger (usually 7x7) tombs and any especially favorite dwarves (starting 7 + a tiny amount of others) have personalized tombs linked to from the entrance hallway that are sealed off by a statue of them doing something epic (I tend to place the other 1000 statues built in the process of getting statues of them elsewhere around my fort. The make great "fortress wing designators". "Urist report to the 2 Cheese-Minotaur Bedroom Hallway now." :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2011, 03:47:19 pm »

I don't usually have catacombs, as such.  The vast majority of my dwarves who die (outside of fortress-ending catastrophes), die while involved in construction projects.  Especially magma and water related projects, but occasionally while testing bridges too.  So I put the tombs in some inaccessible-when-finished part of whatever they were working on.  A lot of coffins in my water drainage areas, magma reservoirs, and walled-up in the middle of sealed miner extraction tunnels.  I recently stuck a tomb on the outside of a tower as the one remaining bit of scaffolding 20 floors up.

In the event that dwarves die a dishonorable death not working on big projects, or not in the right timeframe to fit with the others in the water tank, I let them become ghosts.  I engrave a slab for them, and when the ghost gets too uppity, I place the slab over a boulder or other non-plant-growing surface in whatever above-ground pasture/farms I've walled off from the outside world.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2011, 04:04:56 pm »

I know I'm probably more OCD about these things, but I can't help wonder how you manage to regularly lose dwarfs in bridge-testing experiments and... pretty much all those other regular fortress-making activities.

I don't lose dwarfs when I tap magma, I don't lose dwarfs when I'm digging wells, I don't lose dwarfs because they put themselves on the wrong side of walls[1].  I've long since stopped (regularly, inevitably) losing dwarfs to hunger, the reason for my current nom de clavier, although I do sometimes get dangerously close to death-by-dehydration when I'm too busy digging, or something, and forgetting about the rather restrictive burrows and the two few buckets and potential bucket-carriers.

Deaths (such as I get) are most often from enemy (and xenofaunal) action.  And I even then I mitigate against this.  I know there's fun to be had knocking the Lego city over, and all, so I don't say you shouldn't be doing it, but if it's not intentional that they happen then you needn't be suffering such deaths.

This is one reason why I can only really tell you what I used to do about tombs.  I realise that I'm missing out from having never had a haunting, since they first came in, or even the threat of one.  Perhaps this control-freak aspect to my persona is one reason I have trepidations about the upcoming vampiric aspects.

But when I do start to get dry-sucked corpses discovered, around my fortress.  I absolutely know that the tombs I shall build will be rooms in 3x4, 5x5 or 11x11 sizes.  One per sarcophagus (or other-material equivalent, thereof), across a layer (or a series of contiguous layers, other events permitting) somewhere in the middle of an inter-cavern rock volume.

[1] Mainly because I put the walls down so that they don't do that.  Which I acknowledge is more something to do with me than the dwarfs themselves.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2011, 04:14:35 pm »

Most of the inhabitants of my burial chambers are there as a result of battle. I can normally save most of my dwarves from their own stupidity.

Although, to be fair, a few of the corpses weren't dwarves native to my fortress.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2011, 04:19:53 pm »

I don't actually have all that many deaths.  I just meant that when they do happen, that is how.  I sometimes get careless or impatient and don't want to designate walls 1 segment at a time to make sure they build them in the right order, I always like to test all my levers, to make sure everything hooked up to the right thing (I'm one of those players with 40 odd levers, 30 bridegs, a hundred floodgates, and hatches, doors, etc all linked, I like each lever to control multiple things if reasonable.  So I test everything, and I don't always remember to cease all the hauling tasks or whatever, so sometimes the bridge comes down on top of a stone hauler.

I also enjoy building towers and other constructions outside or in the caverns, and parts of the build team may be attacked.  When a couple masons are eaten by a troll, shot by goblins, or just dodge an enraged moose into a pond (recent true story), I count them as build-related, because they were masons and not hoping to be attacked, just unlucky.

Honestly, part of the reason I take risks to build outside is to recover from my old compulsion to just wall in the whole surface for anything I wanted to build up there.  Now I only wall in 50% or so...

Also, magma breaching can be tough on a tube.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2011, 04:39:27 pm »

Also, magma breaching can be tough on a tube.
  • Send potential magmaduct towards a spot where the final breach will be on a diagonal,
  • Smooth that patch of the wall[1],
  • Set up a magmasafe floodgate at this end, with similarly suitable connection to an external lever,
  • Set the final gap to be Fortified, and open the floodgate so someone can do it,
  • When breach is made, switch gate to closed while dwarf exits at leisure,
  • Seal up the final magmaduct side-entrance[2] when the dwarf is exited,
  • Open the floodgate,
  • Optionally, wait until the magmaduct is totally 7/7ths, then close the floodgate again.

Slower to do, but I've never had any deaths (from magma, magma creatures, sealings-in, etc) when I've done that.  And it also looks nice, IMO.

Can be modified to create a controllable magma-flow towards as-yet-unbuilt spur magmaducts, but I tend to do one snake-like duct under a whole lot of magmaworkshops.

[1] I generally smooth all the walls/floors of a magmaduct, anyway, and replace gaps where ores/gems have been harvested with blocks of the appropriate rock and clean the whole place of loose rock spoil.  Like I said, OCD.

[2]Or build over the ramp leading out of it, at the spot the magmaworkshop is going to tap the future magmaflow, depending on how you got your final ingress/egress sorted.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2011, 04:41:55 pm »

Actually, now that I think about it, over half of the sarcophagi in my burial chamber likely contain animal remains...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2011, 04:43:58 pm »

Actually, now that I think about it, over half of the sarcophagi in my burial chamber likely contain animal remains...
Coffins are explicitly for citizens only and need my express approval before I award one to someone's pet's corpse. Case by case basis. This way, they get the crappy coffins while dwarves get respectable ones.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2011, 04:46:53 pm »

I'm finishing my necropoli, tomorrow or after tomorrow I'll post pics.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2011, 05:32:55 pm »

I wall-in the crazies, dumpp corpses in pits with lot of cadavers and shit!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2011, 05:40:01 pm »

Coffins are explicitly for citizens only and need my express approval before I award one to someone's pet's corpse. Case by case basis. This way, they get the crappy coffins while dwarves get respectable ones.
I put the coffins/sarcophagi into place, but never make them active until I need to.  Achieves the same end result. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2011, 06:55:10 pm »

These days, even commoners(and their pets) get high quality iron sarcophagi, normally masterwork or exceptional. As anyone under my rule deserves a nice place to spent the rest of eternity.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4