Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange dwarf behavior in the circus [SPOILERS]  (Read 1356 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange dwarf behavior in the circus [SPOILERS]
« on: November 17, 2011, 05:35:07 pm »

WARNING: Many SPOILERS here!!!

I've been attempting to build my first outpost in Hell, and I've been stymied by my dwarfs being stupider than normal. The primary problem is that dwarfs with no job seem to decide that Hell is a great place to hang out - literally dozens of them go running out into Hell with no goal or task. Naturally they get slaughtered.  Burrows don't help, because the dwarfs don't have jobs, they're just wandering.  Any advice on how to keep the morons under control while still letting the masons down to build the walls?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Strange dwarf behavior in the circus [SPOILERS]
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 06:16:02 pm »

Make them all masons so they'll help build the walls faster.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 06:23:41 pm »

If they're assigned to a burrow they should stay there even when not on a job...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 08:53:33 pm »

Do you have a meeting area set up? If you don't have one then dwarves are free to hang out wherever they want, but with one they should tend to congregate there.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 10:03:45 pm »

Do you have a meeting area set up? If you don't have one then dwarves are free to hang out wherever they want, but with one they should tend to congregate there.

Yep, a gigantic dining room (set as meeting hall), a zoo, and a statue garden.  That's what makes this so odd - they don't go running around outside or in the caverns this way, but something about Hell makes them giddy!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 01:41:02 am »

Have you tried marking the place as d-o-(r)erstricted traffic? That way only dwarfs with jobs should go there.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 07:17:40 am »

Have you tried marking the place as d-o-(r)erstricted traffic? That way only dwarfs with jobs should go there.

wouldn't that only keep them from going there en route to somewhere else? It's the end of the line, so to speak.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 08:06:06 am »

That's strange for dwarves with no jobs to hang out in such a manner. Please double check that you really do have a defined accessible meeting area or if every dwarf has a personal room to hang in. If that doesn't help, mass enlist them either in army or in some popular labour, like smoothing a couple levels.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 08:23:13 am »

Yep, a gigantic dining room (set as meeting hall), a zoo, and a statue garden.  That's what makes this so odd - they don't go running around outside or in the caverns this way, but something about Hell makes them giddy!
Set as a meeting hall allows dwarves to use it for parties. Do you also have a meeting area zone defined in your dining room? (I don't normally set the meeting hall status in my dining room, but I always create the meeting hall zone, as stray animals and idle dwarves will congregate there to let me know I have assignments (cages, pastures and jobs) to deal with.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 09:25:34 am »

Set as a meeting hall allows dwarves to use it for parties. Do you also have a meeting area zone defined in your dining room?

Is this a real distinction? I didn't realize.  I've never had any trouble with migrants and such using my dining hall as a gathering point.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 10:29:12 am »

All meeting halls implicitly function as meeting zones - the only reason you would ever want to define a meeting zone is if you either cannot define a meeting hall from a piece of furniture (since it's not there) or if you don't want to (because of the resulting parties).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 10:24:44 pm »

Maybe it's a feature? I mean, given how weird dwarves are, I can easily imagine them going on a vacation to a monster-filled glowing cavern with bottomless pits and walls of unholy stone. It would be just like home, only with more unholy stone.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.