Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Benefits of becoming a Barony, Country, Duchy and Mountainhome  (Read 10630 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Benefits of becoming a Barony, Country, Duchy and Mountainhome
« on: November 17, 2011, 05:23:54 am »

What are they?

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Benefits of becoming a Barony, Country, Duchy and Mountainhome
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 05:32:05 am »

You get more nobles, and subsequently Fun
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 05:43:02 am »

The dwarf that used to be your semi-useful expedition leader will become a Baron, and will perform no task other than maybe talking to diplomats and traders, if he feels like it.  He will also flip right out and tantrum if you give anyone a nicer room than his.

Other than that, I suppose you could feel pride in being a Barony.  I tried it, didn't really care for it.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 05:44:40 am »

The dwarf that used to be your semi-useful expedition leader will become a Baron ....

Note that the baron one elects does not need to be the expedition leader; the positions are distinct and any ol' mook can be chosen for the former.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 05:56:04 am »

I once had a baroness who sadly died in an accident. (Yees, it WAS an accident.) After that there wasn't a new baron(ess) appointed. How do you get another one if the former died? Seriously, I was quite sad because I took time to browse all my dorfs for selecting a suitable candidate. And she was a very happy baroness.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 06:39:44 am »

Once a baron dies with no children, it's over. The baron position has the [SUCCESSION:BY_HEIR] tag.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 06:53:44 am »

When I chose my baron, it was the most useless dorf in the fortress at the time, a cheesemaker, turns out he couldn't handle the stress associated with the life of a noble.  He tantrumed over Armok-knows-what, went into melancholy and died of dehydration three months after his ascension, I still dont know - or care - why, but now, the only layabout I have to put up with is the mayor and his love of blue jay bone items.  {yes, they're vermin and leave no useable body parts so my fort has dozens of production violation criminals who have served time in jail}

Darkening Kaos, CIS, LUH.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 07:15:06 am »

Game mechanics wise, there are only drawbacks. More demands, more hissy fits and more useless dwarves.

How the player feels when he has achieved these things and how it affects his playing experience is another thing altogether.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 07:20:46 am »

will perform no task other than maybe talking to diplomats and traders, if he feels like it. 

O RLY?  Then why is my duchess not only my best doctor but also an unusually responsible broker, besides performing her usual representative duties?  Before the fortress' healthcare requirements rose in the current crescendo, she was a dutiful stoneworker, too.  It is a myth that nobles are useless dwarves.

However, they are difficult to keep happy, especially if they request crystal glass items... as this one does.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 07:50:07 am »

The hell....why would Toady make no benefits to becoming a barony or higher? Seems like a waste of energy and work to add nobles for shits and giggles. They don't appoint cool new positions or anything?

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 08:01:44 am »

The benefit is you cannot become the mountainhome until you have a duke (plus some other stuff), and becoming the mountainhome is one of the few built-in goals/achievements you can aim for. Sure it means even more nobles, but you are then the center of your civilization.

But no, nothing incredibly useful. They (well, the monarch at least) used to allow a larger variety of nobles to appear, but that is currently not happening. Included was a royal guard of relatively highly trained warriors. Toady will probably re-implement all/some of them in the future.

I always pick someone for elevation whose major like is stone or metal statues. That way, it is no skin off my back to produce mandate fulfilling items.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 08:46:23 am »

When you have a Baron/Count/Duke, civilizations with the diplomat position will send a diplomat to speak with you every year.  In vanilla DF this only means the humans, but you can easily mod the game to have the elves send a diplomat as well.  You can then if you so desire easily trigger war with that civilization by killing their diplomat, or end a war by speaking with the diplomat and agreeing to peace.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 09:13:35 am »

Just to dispel some myths here:

Barons can still be assigned jobs and will do them like normal dwarves. They are not "useless".

You do not need to have a duke to become a Mountainhome. The queen arrived at my fort while I was still a barony.

But yeah, there's no real benefit, other than getting your favourite dwarf a cool title, and having an excuse to design large and impressive throne rooms. I suspect that Toady intends to add advantages like making the fort get more trade or something, but it hasn't been implemented yet.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 09:17:25 am »

Each time you reject becoming a barony the dwarfen diplomat will not talk about next years caravan with you. So you do not get to tell him what to bring.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 09:27:12 am »

Barons have been observed to continue working after appointment. Mine has the pleasure of fulfilling most of his own mandates for crowns and figurines, and helping to engrave the walls of his own room and tomb. He's a self-made dwarf.

The mayor seems useless, and if he continues to demand high boots and block the export of figurines he may find himself with a new and exciting career in one of the non-elite units of my military.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.
Pages: [1] 2