Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My first forgotten beast...  (Read 1661 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first forgotten beast...
« on: November 17, 2011, 03:00:13 am »

A "noseless squirrel that squirms and fidgets, beware it's webs"....

Lmao i thought i was in for some !fun! when i read the forgotten beast has come, then i got to the description. I may eat my words, but i don't see this thing as being all that dangerous.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: My first forgotten beast...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 03:01:34 am »

My first and(so far)only FB was Idash, a blob of snow with a tail...

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 03:11:49 am »

Did it put up a fight?

It seems the procedurally generated beasts can either really screw you over, or their just completely nonsensical.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 03:15:46 am »

i once fought a blob of water with water wings...

Though one time there was a sort of worm with a venomous stinger, but he entertained himself by slaughtering swallowmen/women, who tried to kill it by hitting it with their blowguns
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

theguruofreason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 03:22:23 am »

My most hilarious beast was a blob made of steam. A random weaver, looking for webs, happened across it in the caverns. It proceeded to chase him for days, having its punches be deflected by his clothing. The dwarf actually almost died of simply being annoyed by it, since he refused to stop running from it to go eat or drink.

Scheming Koala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 03:49:06 am »

I remember my first forgotten beast, it was a Humanoid made of vomit that had shell.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 04:00:37 am »

I remember my first forgotten beast, it was a Humanoid made of vomit that had shell.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 04:00:57 am »

This FB sounds like armok made one of those lazy artifacts.
"Ah, i'll just dump a puddle of water with some water wings floating on it, and call it a forgotten beast"
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 04:27:09 am »

Zing! Mine undulated rhythmically.
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 06:53:03 am »

My first FB was boring. A giant bug. Don't remember what bug exactly.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 07:15:34 am »

Did it put up a fight?

It seems the procedurally generated beasts can either really screw you over, or their just completely nonsensical.

It actually spent most of its time wandering around in a cavern lake, before treading to close to the hill that the olm people had made their home. They shot at it with poison darts to draw in into combat, it then proceeded to push one of them to near death before one of the olm people managed to get a killing blow. It was never any threat to my fortress whatsoever.

Although, I wish there was a way I could honor that brave olm woman, who had to suffer through being repeatedly pelted by a giant snowball. She later died from her injuries and her body now rests in my butchery stockpile.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 09:47:40 am »

A giant Jay with a shell and a poison sting flew out of the depths and engaged a single marksdwarf that was just going down to the water purification plant for a drink. The Jay got a broken wing and shell, and tried to slowly crawl up the stairs towards my catacombs. My dwarf dodged off a cliff and landed in the reservoir with just a few bruises and tried to chase it... but died a few dozen steps later from the poison sting. He now has his own memorial slab for singlehandedly crippling a forgotten beast and really slowing it down.

It managed to land a couple of more fatal stings on my military but was cut to pieces without much difficulty. More or less the same thing happened with the next forgotten beast despite it being a much-cooler-sounding ceratopsid with eight legs, exposed ribs and poison spittle. The critters themselves are pushovers. It's their syndromes.

Still trying to picture a bluejay with a shell.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 10:01:59 am »

I never found one of this bad-ass forgotten beast. :'(
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 11:04:59 am »

I got a flying water flea. No big deal. I'll just leave it in the caverns for a bit while I deal with some other projects. A few minutes later, I get interrupted spam. I look to see a flying water flea coming up through my cavern access shaft - I forgot to floor over an area. I mobilize my military but the flea is already blasting cavein dust in my meeting hall... It gets its head punched off, but not after dusting half of my dwarves with longterm systemic paralysis.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 01:07:29 am »

A flea, no big deal? :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Argh, spoilers! protect the fleet!.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: [1] 2