Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quern vs Millstone?  (Read 13431 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quern vs Millstone?
« on: November 16, 2011, 11:27:33 pm »

Are millstones noticeably faster since the power is provided by an external source?  On that note, do querns train strength, since the dwarf has to provide the power?  Which do you all use?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Quern vs Millstone?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 11:33:05 pm »

Personally I don't know the difference. I think millstones are faster somehow but I don't know by how much. In any case I use querns because they're more simple and cheaper.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 11:53:06 pm »

I have noticed that millstones are quite faster in my fortress.  My dwarves live off of dwarven sugar, meat, and flour.  Even running at 30 fps, my millers hardly touch the millstone to complete their tasks

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 12:06:20 am »

Even running at 30 fps, my millers hardly touch the millstone to complete their tasks

Came here to say something like that. At a millstone, even a relatively unskilled miller seems to work as quickly as a legendary one at a quern. For me this does not necessarily justify the hassle of transferring wind or water power* deep underground, but I guess this depends on how close to the surface you settle and how much milling is done at your place.

*I'm talking about rivers here, not perpetual motion "water reactors" that could be build wherever.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 12:20:44 am »

I think it really depends on how many dwarves you have. If you have a fortress of 150 and 1 milller then its a good idea to have a millstone. If you don't mind having 3 dwarves working on querns then you won't notice.

I usually only build querns because its something for my dwarves to do.

May the mass times acceleration be with you

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 02:28:21 am »

i have 30 out of 85 workers doing nothing, taking longer on the milling wont hurt them
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 11:00:48 am »

Most of my forts tend not to use any power anyway, so I'm fine with a quern.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 12:07:18 pm »

I build exceedingly vertical forts which have both magma industries deep below and surface industries right above. Windmills don't care that I built them in an impenetrable dome.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

SebbyTheFreak

• Bay Watcher
  • Gold for the Gold God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 06:46:20 pm »

Dwarf Manor (or outpost)

Edit your RAWS to limit yourself to 10 dwarves (possibly no migrants, so just children, protect yer wimminz!), and embark somewhere pretty nice, like an evil forest or something.
Would be cool.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 07:02:58 pm »

i have 30 out of 85 workers doing nothing, taking longer on the milling wont hurt them
Keynesian spotted

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 07:08:21 pm »

Is 30 fps for a well developed fort with 3 cavern layers opened good or bad?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 09:09:59 pm »

It has already been scienced:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79621.0

TLDR: Millstones take less time than querns, but that doesn't matter for most players since they don't have massive milling industries. Well, maybe the clothing sweatshops that produce their own dye powders might care.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 11:16:37 am »

When I make an above-ground fort I like there to be a windmill. And what is a windmill without the millstone? That stuff makes it all idyllical and neighbourly! and it gives trolls something to crush and dragons something to burn. What's not to love?

When I build below ground I ALSO like to make windmills. Huge power farms of windmills on the surface with gears reaching into the bowels of the earth ... to power water systems and millstones and all kinds of things. The more elaborate the better!

I just wish that dwarves would get hurt when trying to path through the damn gears. First time I built them I made walkways and all kinds of stuff that wasn't needed...

Querns, you say? I don't see any place for one in dwarven society. Maybe the olmmen wouldn't mind having that outdated and bland technology but I do!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 01:28:23 pm »

It has already been scienced:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79621.0

TLDR: Millstones take less time than querns, but that doesn't matter for most players since they don't have massive milling industries. Well, maybe the clothing sweatshops that produce their own dye powders might care.
I've noticed that "Mill Barrels" full of flour sell for quite a bit. Maybe even enough to replace the mug industry, now that I think about it. Have stonecrafters churn out pots(not sure if they can store flour like wood barrels) to store the stuff.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 01:39:59 pm »

Mill industry is insanely profitable. 4 sweet pod seeds = stack of 20 sugar roasts.
Homegrown, woven, and dyed cloth is worth lots more than the stuff from the caravans.

Sweet pod, cave wheat, dimple cup = PROFIT

Millstones are a Dwarfy way to automate a profitable industry. Hooray!
Pages: [1] 2