Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom Worldnaming  (Read 927 times)

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom Worldnaming
« on: November 16, 2011, 10:13:10 pm »

So I was genning a new world today and realized that it'd be kinda cool to be able to name worlds like fortresses, groups, and adventurers instead of just getting a random name or putting in something that doesn't get a translation.

Also, exactly what decides which language worldgen will name it in and what stops it from having five different (one for each race) names?
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Worldnaming
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 11:31:15 pm »

You can do this from advanced world gen. Copy a parameter set and press 'n' to use a custom name. To revert to random name press 'N'.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 11:38:51 pm »

Yup, but that world naming command is not as detailed as the naming commands for the embark and fortress.  There is much more detail there in embark and fortress naming, than in the world naming.  A sneaky player could always open two windows.  Generate an embark or fortress name, and then set that as his world name, in the other window, by typing it in as a custom name.  That seems like a lot to do tho. 

So I offer my naming system. HEH!  Its always a company brochure day in Bad Ass Mountains.  I always use Bad Ass Mountains, Discworld.  It would be kinda neat to translate that into black speech.  That converter still around?  There was a link to translate stuff, but then the Tolkien foundation made the host take that translater down. :(

Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 11:51:24 pm »

It chooses naming language randomly. Might just be me but it is almost never dwarven.

You can do this from advanced world gen. Copy a parameter set and press 'n' to use a custom name. To revert to random name press 'N'.
Right now you can't get a name like Smaksmo Ustra, "The Realm of Forever".

Instead, you will get either Smaksmo Ustra, "Smaksmo Ustra" or The Realm of Forever, "The Realm of Forever".
Such custom naming is unacceptable, unless you name your world something like Kurumbureengus.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:02:13 am »

I dont think name of the world makes any difference really

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 03:38:42 pm »

I dont think name of the world makes any difference really
Nope. It's just cosmetic. But it doesn't seem like it would take that much effort to change, and it'd be great for those of us who are picky about our worlds. :)
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.