Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: To any who were curious about war with elves  (Read 5955 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
To any who were curious about war with elves
« on: November 16, 2011, 09:09:21 pm »

It isn't to be taken *too* lightly. I'm sure my experiences would be quite different for good/expert players, but damn their war animals can cause some damage.

Their hails of wooden arrows can get lucky shots in, but what really hurt me was the arrival of 40 elf siege parties, except they are treated essentially as ambushes, so you don't know they are there until someone spots them, giving no time to react like a typical siege. Also, each squad is not revealed until spotted, so you can misjudge the force you are facing and make inappropriate decisions. Each elf was always riding a war gigantic panda, or a war giant cat of some kind. Those giant war animals frequently bit dwarves which only bruised muscle through their armor, however they then proceed to shake the dwarf around by the limb and tear it off. Not pretty.

So yea, war with elves is primarily dangerous due to:
 - Stealth
 - Hordes of war beasts

At least in my experience!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: To any who were curious about war with elves
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:23:47 pm »

Nothing magma can't fix.
Honestly, who cares about burning the countryside? It'll serve to be a horrible death for elves, as the nature they're protecting burns them to death.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

nymall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 09:39:52 pm »

Are you kidding?! Set up cage traps and start an arena! Plus, those animals are mighty tasty when rended into little meaty bits!  :D

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 09:52:54 pm »

Hehe i don't use cage traps at all, they seem to be too broken to me.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 09:58:52 pm »

They're not [TRAPAVOID], they're not fireproof, they have weak weaponry. And their animals are tasty.

i.e. Cage Trap/Weapon Trap 'em all, MAGMA, metal bolts against melee squads and checkerboard battlegrounds against bow-elves. (ask if you don't know what that is - will explain)

To azure - I have modded in a goblin clone (called nilbogs, very original) that are the duplicate of goblins but they have [TRAPAVOID] and have a higher trigger. It forces me to put together a military eventually.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 10:40:35 pm »

Am I the only fucking person on the forum that doesn't have a fetish for killing elves?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 10:41:52 pm »

You're not the only one. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 10:47:47 pm »

Am I the only fucking person on the forum that doesn't have a fetish for killing elves?

I like trading with them. They bring me plenty of wood for my furnaces/carpentry.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 11:11:19 pm »

I like trading with them. They bring me plenty of wood for my furnaces/carpentry.

I normally trade with them since I can trade off tons of masterwork gold goblets for only the stuff I need, not useless crap as I get with killing them.

But if they're hostile toward me...
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 11:15:11 pm »

They are the best way to train my army, so I like (To kill them.) I mean, they are not as tough as the kobalds even!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 12:03:11 am »

I like the elves, they tend to be really helpful. I've never been at war with them, and I hate any unnecessary loss of life, so I tend to avoid killing them. The again, I've never used magma in my life, and I'm vegetarian.

Some dwarf I am...

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 12:52:55 am »

I like the elves, they tend to be really helpful. I've never been at war with them, and I hate any unnecessary loss of life, so I tend to avoid killing them. The again, I've never used magma in my life, and I'm vegetarian.

Some dwarf I am...

Harsh but you are doing it wrong

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 02:01:02 am »

Same here. Especially since I am too paranoid to actually send dwarfs outside (especially since I use Fortress Defense mod, in which only one in five caravans actually makes it into the fort). Also giant eagles.

Harsh but you are doing it wrong
It may be a crime against the nature of dorfdom, but are crimes against nature not dorfy in and of themselves?
Soaplent green is goblins!

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 02:27:38 am »

I didn't start the war, my parent civ was at war when i embarked.

I do miss being able to buy cool tamed pets, but that said, the elves have proven to be good training for my military when i don't underestimate them. When they send a force of unmounted swordsman, it's really a gift to my army. They literally cannot make a dent in any kind of metal armor.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 05:35:02 am »

Close to it, sorry.

I was willing to deal with them being dirty, cannibalistic hippies that wore hemp(sorry, "rope reed") clothes and rode into my fort on camels every now and then, but then I purchased a cage from them, put a cat in it(trying to prevent catsplosion humanely) and tried to sell it back, and they left in disgust.  It was a breaking point for me, and I fully look forward to each and every elf christmas.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.
Pages: [1] 2 3