Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which race is the least intelligent?

Dwarves
Elves

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Least intelligent race?  (Read 5920 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Least intelligent race?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 01:56:21 am »

Gnomes and Gremlins. At least Kobolds are smart enough to gather into groups and steal weaponry.

But not food or drink...

You gotta admit, when your main problem with survival, is that you forget how to eat, it's safe to say that you may not have the highest I.Q. in the land.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 06:05:06 am »

Gnomes and Gremlins. At least Kobolds are smart enough to gather into groups and steal weaponry.

But not food or drink...

You gotta admit, when your main problem with survival, is that you forget how to eat, it's safe to say that you may not have the highest I.Q. in the land.
Actually, practical concerns like that have pretty much nothing to do with IQ.

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
  • Update Stockpile Records
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 03:25:00 pm »

kobold's can't food, which I think pretty much sums it up all

intelligence is basically a thingie developed by living organisms (instead of bulky bodymass and sharp claws) to accomplish two main goals: get by for long enough to breed and... all right never mind me just one. if you aren't able even to do THAT ONE THING right, you aren't all that sharp  ;)
I recorded happiness levels, pulled the lever and recorded them again.
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 09:00:55 pm »

If you think about it, the elves most likely are well recived by every other race in the world, or at least are respected. They are, after all, immortal, so humans idolise them and they are probably on iffy terms with the goblins, due to there mutral lifespands. They have no real reason to fear the kobalds, and the others ( like animal men) are servents and are on generaly friendly terms with them.  As such, they would have no reason to think the short, hairy, rock-dwelling idiots would put up any resistance to there demands. Heck, they may think that said short, hairy, rock-dwelling idiots would bend over backwords to please them.

Oh boy, are they wrong. ;)
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 09:15:31 pm »

I say dwarves. They get happy thoughts from killing ANYTHING! The females drink while pregnant, hell, they don't even KNOW their pregnant.... Their race as a whole is alcohol dependent (different from just liking a good party)...
In my mind, a dwarf begins its life as a well adjusted being, but after mere months of decadence they revert back into animals.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 02:28:18 am »

Elves, only those tree huggers are dumb enough to charge into mortal combat wielding a wooden sword.
Also no caravan guards in a wold terrorized by goblins is just plain stupid.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 03:34:54 am »

kobold's can't food, which I think pretty much sums it up all

intelligence is basically a thingie developed by living organisms (instead of bulky bodymass and sharp claws) to accomplish two main goals: get by for long enough to breed and... all right never mind me just one. if you aren't able even to do THAT ONE THING right, you aren't all that sharp  ;)
I didn't say anything about being "sharp" or even "intelligent". Practical concerns have pretty much nothing to do with IQ. IQ is a number designed to measure a certain sort of intelligence, which excludes other areas of mental proficiency, and is pretty culturally oriented.

In fact, no race in DF would have a very high IQ even if we disregard that they're programming constructs rather than sentient beings, as their mindsets would be that of premodern people, and not at all like the sort that IQ tests are designed for.

If you think about it, the elves most likely are well recived by every other race in the world, or at least are respected. They are, after all, immortal, so humans idolise them and they are probably on iffy terms with the goblins, due to there mutral lifespands. They have no real reason to fear the kobalds, and the others ( like animal men) are servents and are on generaly friendly terms with them.  As such, they would have no reason to think the short, hairy, rock-dwelling idiots would put up any resistance to there demands. Heck, they may think that said short, hairy, rock-dwelling idiots would bend over backwords to please them.

Oh boy, are they wrong. ;)
Why would humans or goblins like elves based on lifespan? That seems pretty immaterial to me, at most it might inspire resentment.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 03:58:01 am »

We've mastered the art of steel.

Versus their wood.

That we burn to make our steel.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 01:43:56 pm »

Elves are less intelligent than dwarves. They do not appreciate systematic slaughter of trees and cute fluffy animals. Senseless cruelty is the way to measure intelligence. And dwarves are very cruel. At least mine are.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 02:05:40 pm »

Kobolds get the number one idiots award :D

Although the elves are murderous hypocrites "refined, fair people that have the higher moral ground" and so, I think it's very primitive to live on trees and eat other sapient beings.

Dwarves may occasionally wall themselves outside while building a wall, and their stupidity sometimes knows no boundaries, but they also have moments of incredible brilliance. The strange moods and, to a lesser extent, martial trances show us how much a simple dorf can achieve with determination and skill.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 09:23:57 am »

I'm tempted to say dorfs, but then i realized that all races would perform such incredible feats of stupidity when controlled. Then i thought about trolls. They could punch the shit out of goblins, but instead they let themselves get sheared and sent to their untimely deaths by the gobs. Oh, and they charge into battle without even demanding a fuggin club.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 05:58:14 pm »

I'm tempted to say dorfs, but then i realized that all races would perform such incredible feats of stupidity when controlled. Then i thought about trolls. They could punch the shit out of goblins, but instead they let themselves get sheared and sent to their untimely deaths by the gobs. Oh, and they charge into battle without even demanding a fuggin club.
Its symbiosis, the goblins shave the trolls pubes, the trolls are more likely to mate, and the goblins get capes. WIN WIN!
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 04:54:59 am »

Its symbiosis, the goblins shave the trolls pubes, the trolls are more likely to mate, and the goblins get capes. WIN WIN!

You didn't just say that. The mental image of goblins running around in clothes made by weaving pube hairs is just to disturbing.  :-X

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 12:13:00 pm »

Elves:   Smart enough to survive on the surface.
Elves:   Dumb enough to purposely live on the surface.

Hard to say...
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 10:44:53 pm »

Elves might reject metal and love trees, but there is one thing they triumph in.

You know how hard it is to get elves mad at you? You pretty much have to kill them, violate their corpses, AND profane their holy woods.
Why? It's not pacifism. It's self-preservation. Dwarves kill each other over petty crimes and/or in fits of rage, or due to negligence, or by sloth, or by poor design, yet dwarves still live together. Elves just come, sell their spare critters, wood, and (sometimes) cloth, buy up dwarven fashions or metal/stone crafts or whatever, and GTFO before the trade depot explodes.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2] 3