Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 2 questions  (Read 2377 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
Re: 2 questions
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 04:44:10 pm »

wouldent bismith be the best. bismith is the heviest non radioactive element so it should make the heviest metal
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 04:46:50 pm »

Cant make weapons from it though, barring some random luck in a mood.
This is a blank sig.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 06:48:46 pm »

wouldent bismith be the best. bismith is the heviest non radioactive element so it should make the heviest metal

Bismuth has a density of 9.78, which is below silver (10.49), lead (11.34), gold (19.32) and platinum (21.40). Plus sterling silver (10.49) and rose gold (19.32) if you want to include alloys. This is teh second time I've heard someone say that bismuth has a high density, I wonder why?

BTW, the densest element in Real Life is osmium (22.59), but iridium (22.56) comes close. Both have naturally occurring, stable isotopes.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 08:26:12 pm »

bismuth bronze has same stat for weapons as normal bronze, before anyone brings it up
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 04:27:46 pm »

Bismuth has a density of 9.78, which is below silver (10.49), lead (11.34), gold (19.32) and platinum (21.40). Plus sterling silver (10.49) and rose gold (19.32) if you want to include alloys. This is teh second time I've heard someone say that bismuth has a high density, I wonder why?

BTW, the densest element in Real Life is osmium (22.59), but iridium (22.56) comes close. Both have naturally occurring, stable isotopes.

in REAL LIFE bismith has an atomic waight of 208.tfffffft AU which makes it the MOST haevy stable ATOM so if bismith was made into a 1cmx1cmx1cm cube it would be heavier then a cube of the same size and atom count of silver.

so in real lie the heaviest element that is stable is bismith.  but now what if a plutonium hammer was made??? Armok save us

and desity of something really doest mater when one could by all means make a sigularity with enough pressure. desity is (to my knowledge) not relevent as it can change through artifical means (in the year 4000). so naturaly ya bismith is not going to be the heaviest but 500 atoms of irridium as not going to be as heavy as 500 bismith ones. and my good sir whomes knowledge is quite substancial in the field of science i must say you do have a good point. but my point is that bismith sould be heavier that silver!! and theoredicly one could make make a super dense block of bismith that waighed more than a block of same size made of irridum
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 04:37:04 pm by jaxler »

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 04:32:26 pm »

Density is determined by more than atomic weight.  The atom-to-atom spacing also matters.  Iridium and Osmium both have higher bulk densities than Bismuth (about 22.6 g/cc for Iridium, 22.5 g/cc for Osmium, versus 9.80 g/cc for Bismuth) because their atoms are more tightly packed.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 09:09:49 pm »

Let's just say, that given our knowledge of DF's physics/science, that Bismuth is lighter than most of the other elements.
We can already access infinite power source with perpetual motion...

Cut DF's science a little slack. :P

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 09:44:35 pm »

Density is determined by more than atomic weight.  The atom-to-atom spacing also matters.  Iridium and Osmium both have higher bulk densities than Bismuth (about 22.6 g/cc for Iridium, 22.5 g/cc for Osmium, versus 9.80 g/cc for Bismuth) because their atoms are more tightly packed.

but im saying given enough presure (just below that required to cause fusion) you could get the atoms them selfs to move closer and thus causing increesed density. so if bismith was under that kind of presure it would be heavier than irridium or osmith because i can use presure to creat increesed desity so under this super high attoms almost bonding presure bismith would be heavier. why you say? i can presure 500 atoms of bismith to the same density as osmith wile taking up the same volume of space.

and i never said that bismith was the most dense i said it was the heaviest. and in a atom to waight ratio i would be right. but for all realistic and moderly posible reasons osmith is the heaviest

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 10:12:34 pm »

Osmith?
What is that?

Assuming dwarves had access to Osmium and Iridium, it's doubtful they'd know how to smelt it, let alone compress something so tightly as you said.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 10:25:37 pm »

but im saying given enough presure (just below that required to cause fusion) you could get the atoms them selfs to move closer and thus causing increesed density.

That's really completely irrelevant.  At standard pressure and temperature, there are many elements more dense than bismuth.  You could compress bismuth to be more dense than osmium is at standard pressure, but if you compressed osmium with the same pressure, it would be denser than bismuth.  And the moment you released the pressure, they'd both go back to their normal density.

and i never said that bismith was the most dense i said it was the heaviest.

Actually, you said that a 1cmx1cmx1cm cube of bismuth would be heavier than one of silver or any other element, which is incorrect.  You then went back and edited your post to mention atom count after it was pointed out that you were wrong.  Of course, a 1cmx1cmx1cm cube of bismuth will contain far fewer atoms than a 1cmx1cmx1cm cube of silver, which is why silver has a higher density than bismuth despite bismuth having a higher atomic mass.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 10:58:18 pm »

but im saying given enough presure (just below that required to cause fusion) you could get the atoms them selfs to move closer and thus causing increesed density.

That's really completely irrelevant.  At standard pressure and temperature, there are many elements more dense than bismuth.  You could compress bismuth to be more dense than osmium is at standard pressure, but if you compressed osmium with the same pressure, it would be denser than bismuth.  And the moment you released the pressure, they'd both go back to their normal density.

Actually, you said that a 1cmx1cmx1cm cube of bismuth would be heavier than one of silver or any other element, which is incorrect.  You then went back and edited your post to mention atom count after it was pointed out that you were wrong.  Of course, a 1cmx1cmx1cm cube of bismuth will contain far fewer atoms than a 1cmx1cmx1cm cube of silver, which is why silver has a higher density than bismuth despite bismuth having a higher atomic mass.

i siad 1x1x1 cube made of the same number of atoms.

and ya but still irrelence is relvent in theorectical science. and it would work

no the heat would not cause melting because presure makes shit solid (though bose-einstein condensate is possible) and yes im no longer talking aobut dwarf fotress

my point being that under the proper conditions bismith is heavier than iridium. so but in my opion we are all right. im talking hypothedically wile u are talking realistically.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 11:03:18 pm »

im no longer talking aobut dwarf fotress

This is the DF Gameplay questions. Take your 'non dwarf fortress' talk and your illiteracy to a section of the forum where it's allowed.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 11:08:35 pm »

Not in your original post, you didn't.  You went back and edited it once your error was pointed out.  And it's a moot point since under equivalent circumstances a same size cube won't have the same number of atoms, and under the same circumstances other elements will always be more dense than bismuth.  It's also irrelevant to the discussion anyway.  Bismuth, lead, and silver can all be smelted by dwarves, unlike iridium or osmium.  And silver and lead, at normal pressures and temperatures, will always be more dense than bismuth.

And what does a bose-einstein condensate have to do with it?  Were you planning to make the bismuth into a diffuse gas and then cool it to just above absolute zero?  It won't form a bose-einstein condensate anyway, since bismuth atoms have an odd number of fermions, and therefore isn't a boson and can't form a bose-einstein condensate.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 11:23:21 pm »

Not in your original post, you didn't.  You went back and edited it once your error was pointed out.  And it's a moot point since under equivalent circumstances a same size cube won't have the same number of atoms, and under the same circumstances other elements will always be more dense than bismuth.  It's also irrelevant to the discussion anyway.  Bismuth, lead, and silver can all be smelted by dwarves, unlike iridium or osmium.  And silver and lead, at normal pressures and temperatures, will always be more dense than bismuth.

And what does a bose-einstein condensate have to do with it?  Were you planning to make the bismuth into a diffuse gas and then cool it to just above absolute zero?  It won't form a bose-einstein condensate anyway, since bismuth atoms have an odd number of fermions, and therefore isn't a boson and can't form a bose-einstein condensate.

1st of. im about 11 1/2 quarters into ICP and i watch discovery sometimes. i have a veary thin cover all knowlaedge about every thing. i assume knowledge based of facts. and i have not looked into BEC to much ok. and ya im saying that bismith is heavier. AND IT FUCKING IS. but im wrong on desity and yes i am wrong and bismith would not be heavy. but could one make an alloy of using bismith that could be denser that pure iridium?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 11:35:45 pm »

Guys, take this thread/argument/whatever somewhere else.
DF has no place for Bose-Einstein Condensates or anything like that.
Bismuth is lighter/less dense than Silver.

ARGUMENT OVER.
Pages: 1 [2] 3