Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 2 questions  (Read 2370 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
2 questions
« on: November 16, 2011, 06:17:32 pm »

i have 2 questions

1 is an adamantine axe good and is a adamantine crossbow good

2 hwo do i check my forsts age
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 06:21:19 pm »

Never played around with adamantine, but you can figure out your fort's age by pressing z, where I think it tells you the current year at the top of the screen. then you can see how many years have passed since your fort was founded. If you don't know what year your fort was founded, statues and engravings tend to reference it a lot.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 06:29:51 pm »

King DZA pretty much answered the second one. Yes, adamantine axes are incredibly good (and the sharpest you can get, but don't waste them on woodcutting) - for best effect, make sure you created them with a legendary weaponsmith. Adamantine crossbows are good only if you want your Captain of the Guard to wield a crossbow so he won't brain one of your dwarves. Adamantine is worthless in bashing weapons - you might as well be using Styrofoam. Adamantine is best used in swords, axes, and armor.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 06:32:52 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 06:43:38 pm »

King DZA pretty much answered the second one. Yes, adamantine axes are incredibly good (and the sharpest you can get, but don't waste them on woodcutting) - for best effect, make sure you created them with a legendary weaponsmith. Adamantine crossbows are good only if you want your Captain of the Guard to wield a crossbow so he won't brain one of your dwarves. Adamantine is worthless in bashing weapons - you might as well be using Styrofoam. Adamantine is best used in swords, axes, and armor.

are adamantine spears good as well. and im not useing cross bows so that my legandary marks dwarf can hit some goblin in the head, i want to know if the metal effects the guns acauracy and stoping power

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 06:55:34 pm »

Adamantine makes for sharp, lightweight weapons, and strong, lightweight armor. As far as I know, it won't make your crossbows any better at all. Spears are a yes - but they don't have as large of an edge on them. It'll still make them more powerful. But unless you want to give it to your Captain of the Guard, don't make any crossbows from it. lol
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 07:23:08 pm »

are adamantine spears good as well. and im not useing cross bows so that my legandary marks dwarf can hit some goblin in the head, i want to know if the metal effects the guns acauracy and stoping power

Only quality of the crossbow effects the accuracy of the shot, its material does nothing (but something heavy like iron, bronze or silver is a good idea incase the marksdwarf ever gets in a close up fight. You can never be to paranoid.). The material of bolts effects what they will pierce and to some extent how much damage they will do, ie a feather wood bolt will most likely give your target a nasty bruise, a copper one will break bones and tear organs and a steel one will do all that through nearly any kind of amour you're likely to come across.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 07:48:01 pm »

Only quality of the crossbow effects the accuracy of the shot, its material does nothing (but something heavy like iron, bronze or silver is a good idea incase the marksdwarf ever gets in a close up fight. You can never be to paranoid.). The material of bolts effects what they will pierce and to some extent how much damage they will do, ie a feather wood bolt will most likely give your target a nasty bruise, a copper one will break bones and tear organs and a steel one will do all that through nearly any kind of amour you're likely to come across.

ok so iron c-bows are the best

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 10:43:28 pm »

Silver would actually be the best that you could make them out of, with gold and other heavier materials being even better, but requiring things like strange moods to create.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 03:03:33 am »

wouldnt bronze or iron crossbows work better, because of slightly lower density but much higher impact yield/fracture?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 07:34:55 am »

Crossbows make shit melee weapons anyways. Basically, get whatever highest quality crossbows you can make. For me, that usually happens to be bone due to an abundance of legendary bone carvers. Quality modifier is responsible for ranged damage, not material.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 07:56:31 am »

Technically that's three questions, but I'll let it slide this time. :X

Adamantine axe = best darn weapon you're likely to get. Adamantine is incredibly sharp, so much so that if it were real it would cut anything placed on it with no effort.
Adamantine cbow = as long as it's artifact/masterwork, it's good. absolutely useless in melee due to Adamantine's tiny density.
Fort's age = Z, then calculate it from when you started, or check some engravings.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 12:41:05 pm »

wouldnt bronze or iron crossbows work better, because of slightly lower density but much higher impact yield/fracture?
Not really. Steel will come about even with silver, but with anything else silver's density beats their other stats. You can find a list of how materials work in armor, blunt weapons, and edged weapons on the weapons page on the wiki. (Scroll down a little from that link to see the table.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 01:10:37 pm »

Top Tip: crossbows are best made of wood and bone, then given to your fortress guard. This way, you have the lethality via the bolts when baddies rrive, and a lack of dead dwarves when beatings are dished out. Best of both worlds... :)
This is a blank sig.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 01:13:00 pm »

artifact bone crossbow ftw :D
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 01:20:46 pm »

Yea, thier rate of fire/accuracy is a good thing
This is a blank sig.
Pages: [1] 2 3