Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feasibility study  (Read 765 times)

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Feasibility study
« on: November 16, 2011, 03:30:30 am »

Hi i'm currently in the midst of a test to see how long I can make a fort last and I thought I would do some Science along the way.

I am on the 11th year of the fort currently. I have 76 dwarves and have yet to been sieged. My military consists of 11 axelords and 5 marksdwarfs. I set the pop cap to 50 and have been breeding my way up.

So far I found out these things:

Dwarves that let their skill rust out for too long will eventually lose the skill altogether. In my fortress of no migrants I had a 66 year old peasant. When checking her stats i'm fairly sure she was my shearer. As she had no other job this is how I was alerted to her. It seems that if you wait 8 or so years without improving a skill they lose that skill. As of yet no word on if this also applies to legendary dwarfs.

Turning off Weather and Temperature is a good thing to do. I went from a FPS of 40 all the way up to 100.

If you can it's a good idea to forbid all your wood before a caravan comes as they will bring a lot of it.

Roving animals seem to disappear. Is this because I killed them all or because they don't want to show up past a certain year?

What i'm trying to find out:

Will caravans become larger each year? After starting at about three animals and then moving up to 6 they don't seem to change. Is it influenced by how much you offer or sell?

Do dwarves inherit possessions of their parents? Does this include titles?

I'm open to more suggestions of what I can learn or check up on. I'm fairly sure some people already know what i'm looking into but  it's my first attempt at !!SCIENCE!! so I thought i'd do something basic.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feasibility study
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:52:06 am »

A heads up on the wood thing, the wood's weight takes up wagon space that would have gone to other goods. Just dig out and irrigate a tree farm.

Siege is at 80 pop and some number of created/exported wealth.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 10:04:45 am »

The goods they bring is influenced by the profit's from the last caravan that civ sent.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 10:12:34 am »

You can depopulate the wildlife, including the migrating wildlife from an embark area over time.

They'll /eventually/ come back.  Martin, when he was making the Worlds Most Interesting Dwarf, saw migrating wildlife back after several decades. (Like 80% sure here.)

Your fort is getting up in years. I'd say go look for moss growing on your fort walls.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 10:18:31 am »

it seems they bring more animals and goods depending on last years profit. It was 4 animals they had last time and a tidy 17000 profit, 2 animals before and 3000 profit, so i wonder what the next one will bring

turning off the weather will stop murky pools refilling, so unless you have a river or other refilling water supply, it could cause a problem. Turning off temperature makes magma useless as trap or forge help, since it doesnt have a temperature anymore

Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 12:27:02 pm »

AFAIK, dwarves don't have anything to be inherited.  Rooms become free when the occupants die, pets just lose their owner (and are then able to be slaughtered), and clothing can't be claimed.  Titles will only be inherited if the position is inheritable.  Only the baron/duke/count and king positions are inheritable, and I think if they die without having an heir, the position is just left empty.