Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forcing to haul garbage to stockpiles/garbage zone  (Read 471 times)

Syncing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forcing to haul garbage to stockpiles/garbage zone
« on: November 16, 2011, 02:54:21 am »

Hey there,

As the title says, can I force one or two dwarfs to haul the garbage to the garbage zone? Because when I mark rat remains inside the fortress, e.g. in the meeting hall, one dwarf cleans it up (nearly instantly), but if I mark rat remains outside the fortress like near my walls or fortifications they nearly never do it.
Same thing with corpses. I had a goblin ambush and some of their corpses began to rot. I have a refuse/corpses stockpiles too, but my dorfs barely bring the corpses to it.

Thanks in advance
~Sync

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
Re: Forcing to haul garbage to stockpiles/garbage zone
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 03:36:58 am »

[ o ] rders menu.  [ r ] efuse settings. [ o ] and/or [ v ] to toggle refuse outside, and vermin remains.

Have you configured these rules?
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Syncing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 06:02:24 am »

Hey thanks, I'm gonna try it. I'm not that experienced, so I didn't even know that menu exists  :o

~Sync

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 06:47:21 am »

there's also something there in F(orbid), claim used amunition. Lets you collect amunition used by your hunters
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 09:14:55 pm »

Although all of that ammunition will be in one-bolt stacks. Which will generate a lot of jobs when those stacks are gathered. I prefer to do periodic sweeps using mass-dumping. Fairly quick, if one uses the stocks screen to mark the spent bolts/arrows.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 12:37:36 am »

Although all of that ammunition will be in one-bolt stacks. Which will generate a lot of jobs when those stacks are gathered. I prefer to do periodic sweeps using mass-dumping. Fairly quick, if one uses the stocks screen to mark the spent bolts/arrows.

Can you elaborate?  I understand the problem that spent bolts are in one-bolt stacks, but what is your solution to consolodate them again?
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 02:18:40 am »

O, I don't mean to imply that they are gathered into stacks or anything of that sort. Once they're all gathered in one place, though, the spent shot can be fairly quickly melted down. The fate of wooden and bone stuff depends on my mood; it can be forwarded to a destruction area, or left as a "training exercise" for the marksdwarves.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 07:27:35 pm »

A dwarf will put multiple stacks of bolts in a quiver, so the singletons can be used. I've read that an earlier version had a bug that only let dwarves put one stack in a quiver, so stacks of one were a problem. They'd "fill" their quiver with one bolt, run off to the battle, fire one bolt, then either charge into battle swinging their xbow, or else run back to refill their quiver (probably with just one bolt again).

The problem now with single bolts is that each bolt is a "Store item in stockpile" job, so it's a lot of hauling. And it's almost certainly hauling in a potentially dangerous place (or else why would bolts have been fired there?).

I leave used ammunition forbidden in the options (It's the default, but can be changed with o-F-p) and when I'm fairly certain that no threats are around, I'll claim them with d-b-c. But there is always the danger that a bunch of haulers will fan out to get the bolts and an ambush will uncloak between them and the fort's entrance. Been there, done that, lost haulers.

Fortunately, haulers are a renewable resource.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.