Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Anybody like youtube and/or online freedom?  (Read 15674 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody like youtube and/or online freedom?
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2012, 11:04:39 am »

They should do that, so that the government can realize that what they're trying to do is nuke a galaxy-sized archive of etcetera.

I don't mind not being able to use the net for a day.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2012, 02:27:47 am »

Well Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, Amazon and other big companies rooted in the internet are going to rage quit for a day to protest. They're willing to lose BILLIONS to protect the internet. But is this going to be enough? If anything, it's probably going to turn into another way to extort money from extremely wealthy companies for the sole purpose of political gain :/

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2012, 04:39:25 am »

That'll be pretty damn effective if they replace their stuff with anti-SOPA splash pages. Sure they'd piss off some idiotic customers, but less than just stopping services for a day.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2012, 03:28:09 pm »

Yeah, if they do the same thing that Mozilla and co. did with the WEBSITE BLOCKED messages SOPA awareness would skyrocket. The bill would have no chance of passing, and the media would have no choice but to cut their losses and try to make money off the story while SOPA dies in Congress.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2012, 03:42:23 pm »

But what about PIPA during all this?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2012, 10:26:54 am »

Haven't seen news of anywhere else actively saying they're going for it, but Reddit is.

January 18th from 8am–8pm EST (1300–0100 UTC).
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2012, 12:18:31 pm »

USA congress by itself sets a law that justifies them global rights?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2012, 03:20:46 pm »

SOPA won't have American agents flying to Sweden to shut down the Pirate Bay servers. SOPA is designed to cut Americans off from sites that give out pirated content so that they'll have to keep buying from the entertainment media conglomerates that sponsor this bill.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2012, 03:44:40 pm »

SOPA won't have American agents flying to Sweden to shut down the Pirate Bay servers. SOPA is designed to cut Americans off from sites that give out pirated content so that they'll have to keep buying from the entertainment media conglomerates that sponsor this bill.

Still, there is still a reason USA is pressing on Spain to start listening ... or else...

Anywho, derailing just a tad here, but still a precedent for dutch residents. Ziggo & Xs4all (two dutch ISPs) stepped up and got smacked by BREIN (our version of MAFIAA) to block the piratebay dns and ips on their network.

The arguments given by brein (brain in dutch *barf*) that thepiratebay is used to *upload* (./golfclap) copyrighted material. (Thats not how it works).

The major thing here that makes it look as a mini-dutch-sopa act is that they have given a list of domains that should be locked, 3 ips and have the rights to *ADD* others to that list.

BREIN is known/suspect to be pretty *sketchy at best* with evidence from previous encounters.

Judges are also known for going in to "(L)User MODE" after shouting 3 or more technical terms at them within 20 seconds.

BREIN has already made it clear they will take this ruling to other ISPs.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 04:05:50 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2012, 11:25:13 am »

The fuckity fuck?

US extraditing british teen for "copyright infringement" committed in england, note that he didn't even host or distribute copies of the supposed files.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/01/13/1548214/us-government-seeks-extradition-of-uk-student-for-file-sharing
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2012, 12:26:36 pm »

Our government is goddamn retarded about things like this because of the MPAA/RIAA being idiots with lots of lobbyists. Sorry. :-\
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2012, 12:30:25 pm »

The fuckity fuck?

US extraditing british teen for "copyright infringement" committed in england, note that he didn't even host or distribute copies of the supposed files.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/01/13/1548214/us-government-seeks-extradition-of-uk-student-for-file-sharing

WAHT THE HELL

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2012, 12:38:51 pm »

Just for the sake of the other side of the story, he did make over a hundred thousand pounds 'not hosting' copyrighted material.

Frankly, it's a very worrying test case. If it works then it has far deeper implications for the internet than SOPA.

As for the extradition angle, that's business as usual. The UK has a very generous extradition treaty with the US, where if an arrest warrant is held as legal in a US court then they may be extradited to the other party (note that UK > US or US > UK still requires the US standard; UK judges only assess the legality of the extradition request, not the case behind it). It's similar to the strength of EU arrest warrants, where any charges in one EU country are grounds for extradition from any other.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2012, 12:42:11 pm »

Making money off of it is a different thing entirely, I think. From the link name it just sounded like he shared some things for free and the US wanted to yell at him because of that.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]