Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Anybody like youtube and/or online freedom?  (Read 15699 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: Anybody like youtube and/or online freedom?
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2011, 11:37:01 pm »

In related news, Senator Ron Wyden is threatening to filibuster (Non-stop talking to obstruct and delay the bill) by reading a giant list of names of people against the two bills if they come up for voting.

Source
Awesome.

He actually filibustered PROTECT IP last year as well, to the point where it killed it for that year.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2011, 11:40:19 pm »

In related news, Senator Ron Wyden is threatening to filibuster (Non-stop talking to obstruct and delay the bill) by reading a giant list of names of people against the two bills if they come up for voting.

Source
Awesome.

He actually filibustered PROTECT IP last year as well, to the point where it killed it for that year.
It was around this time of year as well, so the same thing may happen. Therefore making Ron Wyden to be the only Senator who is also a troll.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2011, 11:41:49 pm »

But an awesome troll at that. I'd kinda wondered why all the news about it suddenly stopped last year.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2011, 11:42:42 pm »

Source
Awesome.

It was around this time of year as well, so the same thing may happen. Therefore making Ron Wyden to be the only Senator who is also a troll.
I am glad to have him representing my state for that :)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2011, 01:06:27 am »

I wish my state had a Ron Wyden. Maybe my senators will finally do something important, I dunno.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2011, 06:03:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Picture certainly fits here.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2011, 04:11:34 pm »

My idea. I thought up the whole meshnet thing, and everybody told me I was insane.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2011, 03:21:48 pm »

the NY Times and the LA times, of all things, have come out generally against SOPA, with suggestions.

Not as directly related.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2011, 07:01:38 pm »

Picture certainly fits here.
Considering the bills are concerned with protection of intellectual property primarily (or at least claim to be so) I'm not entirely sure how this comic is relevant, but people keep bringing it up so I have to wonder if I'm missing something.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2011, 08:07:21 pm »

What the bills claim to be, and what their overly broad unnecessary wording actually shows them to be is two different things entirely. If the bills were actually what they claimed to be then they should've been more open to the idea of the people who actually know what they are talking about fixing them so that they won't break the internet because the lords of copyright aren't doing as profitably as they want to and blame piracy again.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2011, 01:49:21 am »

This grants a very large amount of power to the Department of Justice by allowing them to cherrypick which cases will be pursued.

From a post of mine in another topic:

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h3261/show

Who gets to decide what 'limited use' other than infringement means?

I mean, are there precedents for this or does it give them the opportunity to say, for example, that talking about video games are of 'limited use' to the public?

If that is the case, the 'other than infringement' part is able to be used, perhaps after the first time someone posts a link to something that would infringe. This means theoretically you could hire a firm to go around spamming pirate links on websites you want to be shut down; if it's as vague as it seems.

Finally: It would also make unauthorized web streaming of copyrighted content a felony with a possible penalty up to five years in prison.

Five years in prison?! Also, by 'web-streaming', is it me or is that worded strangely in a way that could be interpreted as 'streaming' either way? Thus possibly opening the door to 5 year prison terms for viewing such a 'stream.'

Also, this was a letter I wrote but didn't send,

One thing I should add is that any form of control over the internet is extremely unpopular with people who use the internet. Feel free to copy and paste the following link into your browser to see a discussion.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=96564.0

In addition, while this law mentions penalties quite specifically; however the description of the crime itself is quite vague. 'Streaming' could be interpreted as not only uploads (meaning being the one person to place for instance a copywrited video for others to view online) but also downloads (meaning you are one of many people simply viewing the video)

This means that it would be extremely easy to post what are called 'blind links' (http: links disguised as something else, aka blue text links) and direct a large amount of internet traffic to infringing sites; possibly after causing the site to infringe by your own actions or through an (overseas?) third party.

In this way an interested party could not only give the justification required to remove a website they do not agree with, but ALSO by choosing their target location for the blind link, they theoretically could send (part of) that locations 'audience' or userbase to prison for five years as felons. They could also do this without being tracked by IP address as far as I'm aware, by using a program called The onion Relay. If you don't like that, blame the military as the IP system loophole was and is for their security.

Also, the wording on this section is worrying: "The DoJ or the copyright owner would be able to commence a legal action against any site they deem to have "only limited purpose or use other than infringement," and the DoJ would be allowed to demand that search engines, social networking sites and domain name services block access to the targeted site."

Not only does it give a copyright owner the right to force expensive legal fees upon any site that users could infringe on if that site has 'limited purpose', but also limited purpose is not clearly defined. If a website is made for talking about video games, and a user infringes upon it, does only being created to talk about video games define 'limited purpose?' Does a political forum have only 'limited purpose?" In addition it would allow the DoJ to cherry pick which sites with infringers would be punished or not.

Finally, I leave you with a final irony. The Congressman who supports this bill also supports loosening laws that have a side effect of allowing large entertainment corporations to pirate music from individual copywrite holders that it 'cannot determine the identities of after a reasonable search.' http://www.opencongress.org/wiki/Orphan_works_legislation

Internet identities being what they are and having become necessary to protect oneself from those who collect information, they shouldn't be able to find out a person's identity after a reasonable search, which wasn't clearly defined.

From that message board forums above:

Campaign Contributions

This is a list of the top 10 industries giving campaign contributions to Lamar Smith in 2009-2010, the most recent fundraising cycle for which we have campaign contribution data.*
Industry   Individual   PAC   Total
TV/Movies/Music   $16,650   $49,000   $65,650
Retired   $59,225   $0   $59,225
Accountants   $2,000   $36,500   $38,500
Lawyers/Law Firms   $25,750   $12,500   $38,250
Employer Listed/Category Unknown   $35,400   $0   $35,400
Pharmaceuticals/Health Products   $1,000   $30,500   $31,500
Insurance   $11,850   $18,500   $30,350
Health Professionals   $20,550   $8,750   $29,300
Oil & Gas   $12,700   $16,400   $29,100
Commercial Banks   $7,650   $20,500   $28,150

Also, this guy proposed this as well a few years back: http://www.opencongress.org/wiki/Orphan_works_legislation

Basically at first it sounds like a decent law, until you realize that in some cases it would allow the major music producers to pirate music from people who post their music on the internet! (probably for use as a sample, you can do all kinds of things to make music sound different much easier than it is to actually make different music)

Finally, while they might have done what they claim was a reasonable search to try to determine someone's real name, who gets to say what's reasonable or not? A judge? I probably can't afford that even if that were the case.

From above link:

Copyright law in the U.S.
Copyright law in the United States is essentially based on a “form of protection” provided to “original works of authorship,” including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works. These laws include a doctrine of “fair use,” which was established via the courts and specifies four factors for determining whether a use is fair: 1) the purpose and character of the use, 2) the nature of the copyrighted material, 3) the amount of the work used in proportion to the entire work and 4) the effect of the use on the value of the copyrighted work. [1] [1]

Works which are considered to be in the “public domain” indicate that no person can claim ownership rights or retain proprietary interests over a particular work. [1]

As stated above, orphan works are copyrighted works whose owners cannot be identified. Because many archivists, libraries, film restorers, artists, scholars, educators, publishers, and others simply disregard works unless they are definitively in the public domain, orphan works are often not made available to the public due to uncertainty over their copyright status (despite the fact that no one is claiming ownership of them). [1]

Movement to address problems with orphan works
Beginning in the late 1990s, interested parties and organizations representing copyright owners and users pushed for copyright reform that would address the problems of orphan works. This pressure eventually led to a challenge of the 1998 Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act (H.R. 1621) which extended “protection from life of the author plus fifty years to life of the author plus seventy years.” The measure, signed into law by President Clinton, included “provisions applied to works under copyright on the date of its implementation...An exception permits libraries, archives, and non-profit educational institutions to treat copyrighted works in their last twenty years of protection as if they were in the public domain for non-commercial purposes.” [1] The challenge was defeated in 2003 when the Supreme Court upheld the Bono copyright law as constitutional by a vote of 7-2 in Eldred v. Ashcroft. [1]

Mostly what would be useful to know before I send it is if 'Streaming' constitutes both uploads and downloads in the legal sense of SOPA.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:26:38 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2011, 02:49:28 am »

My predictions:

40% The bill will fail with support; both sides support the bill(s), but are too stagnant to do anything about it. This is politically expedient since it will appease the masses of the people, since the bill didn't get passed, and it will appease the special interests, since it surely would have been passed if not for the Dems/Reps on the other side. Most likely passes the house and fails the senate.

20% The bill will pass, the wheels of the legislature significantly greased by millions of dollars of bribes. The super-majority of representatives feel that streaming web content is simply not a big issue for the vast majority of Americans, and the educated internet population that actually does care is too small to be politically relevant.

10% The bill will fail resoundingly as former supporters defect en mass to be seen as "good guys". Only likely if the movement leaves the internet.

30% Something unpredictable happens.

So I'd give it at least a 50% chance of failing and at very least a good 20% chance of passing. Frankly the fact that it's still floating around is a bad sign, since given all the internet publicity you'd think that senators would be fleeing like rats from a sinking ship. Presumably, they count on TV media to put the whole thing in a good light- which makes some sense, since TV is part of the group paying for it. I might give "pass" an extra 10 points just since it's still around. Still, If I had to place a bet, I'd put it on failure by default.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2011, 12:26:50 pm »

Some guy made a really damn big, but pretty much complete article about SOPA & PIPA. Its here if anyone ants to see it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2011, 03:36:34 pm »

Just made this point not long ago in another thread. Copied the whole quote for context. Seems rather appropriate, especially the bolded/ABBR'd part, considering the content.

Seeing as some of these, actually pretty good one-liners, are being rejected; I suppose we'll have to resort to Seltzer & Friedberg level witticisms.

"KIM KARDASHIAN?!?!"

Ugh. That hurt to write down. -_- Felt like what fragments of my dignity were left have given up on life and committed sepukku.

Speaking of which... God, if you are truly all-loving and omnipotent, please show us mercy, and unleash the fires of Hell upon this Earth and call forth the Apocalypse. I beg of you O Lord, as your noble follower: Show us mercy.

The government is more than willing to censor the internet, yet is also perfectly willing to protect these guys from copyright infringement. There is no justice left in the world.

A special place in Hell is reserved for these guys and anybody who wholeheartedly supports them. They must live, for eternity, in their movies; not as directors, but as themselves "parodied" by themselves as characters that regularly get killed and inexplicably revived and killed by their own "jokes" near-constantly. This is their punishment for their crimes against humanity. The only way out to repent: make God laugh, or at least 95% of the universe. Have fun.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 03:39:02 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9