Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should it rot?  Cheese?

Yes.
- 6 (24%)
No.
- 5 (20%)
I heard there was going to be pudding cups later.
- 7 (28%)
Knutor's a cheesehead.
- 3 (12%)
Option 2 and Option 4, both
- 4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: February 06, 2012, 10:34:30 pm

Author Topic: Should Cheese Rot?  (Read 1300 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Should Cheese Rot?
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:34:30 pm »

I was eating some blue(rotten) cheese when I saw miasma in my fortress.  So I narrowed in on its source, it was cheese.  Low and behold, cheese.  While I am a fan of miasma, I cannot see why food such as cheese, which has a very long shelf life should go bad.
Milk however, I have had rotten milk and it is no joy.  No JOY!  That I can understand. 

*Toast*  Here's hoping this pole comes out more accurate than the 2012 Presidential nominees.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Should Cheese Rot?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:42:05 pm »

One side note.  I forgot to mention.   The coder could kill two stones with one bird.  If cheese were changed to unrot, and traps were set to accept cheese instead of food, the bug that causes indoor bait to produce miasma would be forever fixed.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 10:47:42 pm »

the bug that causes indoor bait to produce miasma would be forever fixed.
Indoor bait producing miasma is perfectly normal - if you set the trap and nothing takes the bait, the bait is eventually going to rot.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:49:15 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:49:46 pm »

You could actually do this fairly easily by editing the raws. Simple remove the [ROTS] token from the CREATURE_CHEESE_TEMPLATE in the material_template_default.txt and then your cheeses will no longer rot.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 11:10:34 pm »

Cheese does indeed go bad IRL, especially soft cheeses.

*had some queso not-so-fresco a few weeks ago and isn't keen on repeating the experience*

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 10:30:41 am »

Thats all true.  I don't deny certain types of cheeses rot.  But inside the 4-5yrs of gameplay, the marjority of old world created wheel cheeses that hang from the ceiling prior to the invention of the refrigerators, shouldn't rot as quickly as the game portrays.  Heck, at one time, cheese was used to bargain, as currency.  So was meat, so I guess that doesn't prove anything.  HA! 

In my view, a cheeses shelf life is longer than any lifespan of one dwarf should be.  But by the looks of the poll, I'm not going to be elected President of United Cheeses of DF.

Its all well in good that food would rot in an inside trap, however, the food in a stockpile doesn't and its certainly indoors and on the floor the exact same fashion as food in a trap.  The logic works in your favor, Q, because you want it too.  Not because its logical or precise.

What new devilry is this i2amroy? if I dig into the code, like you mention with those tokens, I might awaken a creature from the old world.  For the sake of dwarf children, I will not upset a big horned demon. 

The demon's in the details.  HEHE!

Sincerely,
Knutor

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 11:53:57 am »

The main issue is that [ROTS] is binary, and is turned of completely by putting whatever it is in a stockpile. So really, cheese is only going to be rotting if it hasn't been stored properly. It'd be nice if we could declare separate rotting levels, like having organs rot quickly, then meat, then plants, then cheese.
And don't worry about changing something in the raws, things either go horribly wrong and force you to undo it, or they go more or less fine, and removing a [ROTS] token isn't going to be the end of the world. Mind you, this is coming from a man who just made 48 statues out of crimson banana flour gateau, worth about ☼10000 to ☼60000 each, and is probably going to get the best Goblin Diomedian Pony Christmas ever.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 03:20:21 pm »

The main issue is that [ROTS] is binary, and is turned of completely by putting whatever it is in a stockpile. So really, cheese is only going to be rotting if it hasn't been stored properly. It'd be nice if we could declare separate rotting levels, like having organs rot quickly, then meat, then plants, then cheese.
And don't worry about changing something in the raws, things either go horribly wrong and force you to undo it, or they go more or less fine, and removing a [ROTS] token isn't going to be the end of the world. Mind you, this is coming from a man who just made 48 statues out of crimson banana flour gateau, worth about ☼10000 to ☼60000 each, and is probably going to get the best Goblin Diomedian Pony Christmas ever.

I don't agree. I think if something is stockpiled, we can legitimately assume the dwarves have thus prepared it and stored it in a way where it will keep, much as humans have managed for thousands of years. If you store your cheese correctly, it doesn't rot. If you store your meat correctly, it doesn't rot (dried, smoked, pickled, etc.). If your dumbass dwarfs leave it out in the magmatic heat of your fortress, or in the sun on the surface, rot will accelerate. I don't see any logical inconsistency here. So, cheese should rot unless it's in a stockpile.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 04:49:20 pm »

Cheese shouldn't rot, it should mature. Still emits miasma, but becomes more delicious.

Granted, not applicable to all... but I picture dwarves to enjoy mature, strong-smelling cheeses best.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 04:50:35 pm »

This is a blank sig.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 05:07:45 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

Argument over.

Ah, but now the question arises: Should dwarves be able to eat rotting cheese?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 05:10:17 pm »

Or should the be able to collect fly eggs and make casu marzu? After all, casu marzu isn't random, it's deliberately cultivating the larvae in cheese.