Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Reclamation of Failcannon[Succession/Community fortress try 2]  (Read 3325 times)

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile

When I came across this place, It was a shrewd mess of. . . . . junk. Death and trade goods littered the floors. The place was visibly haunted by creatures from realms unknown.  It looked almost exactly like BattledFailed next door. A deadly cavern to hell. But, on closer inspection, the mess and mass death looked like heap of raw adamantine.
That’s why I dragged my seven companions with me. To be fair to them, we weren’t really companions, just some dwarves that saw a common sight of a legend that was formed by those of whom had claimed to come from there, tales of its seemingly prosperous rise yet quick and spiraling downfall.

When we got there, we tried to get a good look around. We could still hear the frightening howls of the dead and dying, and decided that, for the sake of not scaring ourselves away so quickly, we would give it a few more months to clear out. At the very least, though, we stayed for three days. What a regretful time that was. We awoke the first day, after deciding that it would be best not to draw attention to the fact that we were here by making a camp, to a kobold looter trying to steal our cloths off our backs, mistaking us for the piles of rotting and putrid bodies that littered the area. It was only due to of the others quick thinking with the sword that I was able to survive its disappointed rage. Unfortunately for me, I did not survive intact. I woke up the next day near the entrance of the place that we held as so magnificent yet torturous. All I knew was that there was a sharp pain in my back and I all I could see was red.
From what I was told, they were lucky to have a dwarf with any medical experience, or I would have bleed out right then and there, and the scouting would have failed. While I was being tended too, two of the others took the time to scout the area and see if we would personally need any supplies. The others came to the conclusion that it might be better if they bring as little as possible so we can get set up right away. I understood the other reason, though. We were each poor in our own respects, and therefore had little to contribute to our taking over this place.

But I digress back to where I left off initially. I awoke the next day patched up yet unable to move the lower half of my body. Bored and mostly alone I took the time to look at some of the bodies nearby. It was a ghastly sight, once you really paid attention. There was no meat on any of the bones, many of which were broken in horrific fashions. It was not long before I heard it. The horrific moans. The frantic panting. The frenzied scratching at the floors. And then nothing. It was all quiet once more. When the others came back from their searching, I prepared to tell them that I wanted to call it quits, but the swordsman that saved my life showed me the item that made my heart stop. It was the most beautifully decorated notebook that I have ever seen, and I knew that there had to be more like it. In the mean time, I wrote this. My accounting of the reclamation of Failcannon.

Yah, Thats right, i am answering the challenge. I am going to host a reclaim of Failcannon. I am not going to pretend to be the best at this, but I am going to give it a shot. It took me a half a dozen thousand tries and computer crashes just to stop the pulling of the lever. I never did dismantle it, though, for sake of F-F-F-FUN.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Reclamation of Failcannon[Succession/Community fortress try 2]
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 05:44:34 pm »

Available for dwarfing:

Male Miner

Female Craftsdwarf

Female Doctor

Female Speardwarf

Male Trader/manager/bookkeep (reserved)

To be dwarfed list:

UmbrageOfSnow- mason/mechanic

Gizogin(male) - crossbowdwarf with custom profession of Rawmancer First Class

Darvi (male) - Bookkeep

Dwarfed list: [Alive]   [Dead]

Grov (male) - sworddwarf

Varsar (male)- Hammerdwarf

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:09:37 pm by zomara0292 »
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 05:49:52 pm »

Turn list: [Yet to have a turn] [Current turn] [Completed Turn] [Skipped]

• Zomara0292
  • UmbrageOfSnow
  • Darvi
  • Gizogin
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:21:57 pm by zomara0292 »

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 05:56:23 pm »

Can I go next?  I need a break from NaNoWriMo!
Also, if there are any mechanics/masons, I'd like to be Dorfed please.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 07:05:17 pm »

Can I go next?  I need a break from NaNoWriMo!
Also, if there are any mechanics/masons, I'd like to be Dorfed please.
Sure, your up. and so will be the first part of my year in a minute. The first year may take some time, though. In am running on 8 FPS when it is the only program I have up (other than word).

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 07:14:35 pm »

Bloody Amok, 8 FPS.  My computer tends to be even slower, looks like I'll be playing this on borrowed girlfriend's computer if I want to get anywhere fast.  Then again, I'm good at the playing while paused, and letting it run for a few hours without much management...  I do other things.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 07:14:38 pm »

Eh count me in or something.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 09:37:01 pm »

Eh count me in or something.
Done. and i will have the first moths part up in the morning or sooner, if I can finish cleaning up my writing before I pass out. I might even throw in some pictures.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 02:50:41 am »

I'd like to be a part of this.  Hopefully it'll be less intensive than trying to do a solo reclaim, and by the time my turn rolls around my exams will most likely be over.
For my dwarf, he'll need to be a crossbowdwarf named Gizogin, with the custom profession of Rawmancer First Class.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 03:21:30 am »

Dwarf me as Grov. Not fussed about details.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 06:04:50 am »

It was a couple of months after that day, just at the end of winter,  when we came back. Our supply list was simple, enough booze to last them a year and an equal amount of food. We also brought a fresh sword, hammer, and spear, just in case we met any opposition right away. We chose to bring more livestalk than anything else just in case we decided to stay for the long haul or find ourselves in need of food. I, personally, am having second thoughts about my decision. The sounds of the panting, moaning, and scratching, still played fresh in my mind. But, I was here, so I might as well make the best of it all. We managed to pass through though the entryways traps and settled in an exposed exterior. It was filthy like the rest of the place. Sitting on top of the supply wagon; I could not make head or tail of what to do next. It took the others hours to clear some of the mess from in front of what looked like a glass doorway. Vucar, went down first, though he wasn’t down there but for a few seconds. It was apparently flooded with no way to get down there, at the moment. We would need far more Dwarfpower than what was available. We scanned the area for no short time after that, and stumbled upon a door that was staring us in the face all along. I felt pathetic. All I had to do was turn around and we could have saved nearly a day’s worth of looking at failing entrance after failing entrance. Behind the door was wet and muddy and lacked no shortage of concerning puddles of water, but down the slopes was a large and spacious room. Rather, it would be spacious if there weren’t looted clothing and blocks and other. . . . . .things littering the ground. Either way it perfect for what we needed it for.
We took a couple of minutes to count our supplies. How fortunate that such waste of time proved to be as a benefit for us. Unbeknownst to us, there was a newt sleeping under the piles of clothing. How one could have missed it was a wonder, but, as a group of confused Trolls led by a starving goblin walked by, it stirred. At least, that’s how I would image that it all came about. I could not be sure, for all I have are second hand events of the fight. Vucar went back down there when he heard sound of a fiery blast and panicked screams.
He told me that, as he watched, more cloths and other things began to move on their own, a large spiral shell being seen every odd movement until, more and more hideous beasts began to appear out of their hiding places.  He was down there, for what, to him, felt like hours watching beast after hideous beast pop up from their sleeping place. He described to me how they slaughtered the poor creatures in ways that made even the most goblin hating dwarf feel pity for them.
He ran back up, passing confused and bruised looking trolls and goblins to relay what he saw to me. Not long after he had finished, I heard the sound of something sliding and then falling. Not wanting to take the risk, I ordered everyone to grab whatever armor they could find and pick up whatever could be used as a weapon. I turned to be met by what I expected to meet. To the left of where we were, across the only lowered bridge that we could find, there was a slug beast doing battle with a group of trolls and goblins. I told them to take this opportunity while it was distracted and to get whatever they could find. I didn’t want to be left without guards in this hell.
I watched the Trolls fight the beast. It made me wonder how the ones in the room were doing. It took us a long while to figure out that the residents of this place meant us no harm. In fact, the way we knew was by the fact that one of the trolls walked up to us and dropped food right in front of my face. We were all shocked, but. . . . . . I think it could be used to our advantage.

3rd Granite, Early Spring
Year 541
We struck a deal with the goblins up top and they promised to relay the message to as many as they possibly could. We give them portions of the food that we make, so that they no longer have to eat meat scraps from dead bodies, and they protect us with their lives. With the local goblin threat out of the way, I had a little time to think about how to clean up this place, so we can find a way inside. In the mean time, everyone agreed that it would be best to pick up as many of the small things that can fit into bags as possible. Everyone but me, that is. I wanted to take this time to find a way in, but, they outnumber me and are doing all the work, so, I’ll let them have their fun.

12th Granite, Early Spring
Year 451
It’s been sometime since I wrote in here last. I finally put my foot down and told Vucar that we needed to know what we have first and foremost. Well, not so much as told as brow beat my words into him.  It worked and he put down the seeds and got straight on to counting. I even made him get me a crutch so I wouldn’t be stuck in this wagon all the time. He left in a huff of course (don’t know why they care about seeds that much) but brought me a crutch with a hand still attached and pull up the closet chair he could find, and got started. What can I say? You try sitting in one place for a couple of days, wanting something done but not seeing any progress for what is being done.
17th Granite, Early Spring
Year 451
A day or two ago, One of the guys said that they could hear rushing water below them when they slept. I checked the area that was flooded below to find, to my great surprise, there was nothing left but mud. I went further down to find the same with few pools of water. It looked like the halls down there were slowly draining into a cavern or a cistern or something. With a little bit or wall inspection, I found out that there was water behind the doors of some of the hallways. In order to “help” drain the area, I am going to check around to see if removing them might help. That, though, will have to be left for tomorrow.

Sleepy. and need to head off to school. I will add you guys later.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 04:15:02 pm »

18th Granite, Early Spring
Year 451
I went back down today with Nomal so he could check out what’s behind those walls. He told me, before we got to Failcannon, that he knew an old miners trick that allowed him to see past walls. I thought I was going to prove him to be a legendary tall tale spinner, but,  he not only came to the same conclusion I got, he also told me exactly how many items there were behind each door and how big each room was. He was so detailed with his description that I was able to make a diagram

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He did it all by putting his beard on the wall and humming. I am still a bit skeptical, but that will be clarified when we break open one of these doors. We sat on it for a couple of minutes, and, after double checking, decided that the northern most door would be our fastest and best bet, considering the fact that it was draining faster than the others anyway.

20th Granite, Early Spring
Year 451
More and more problems seem to pop up. Yesterday all the doors leading downstairs jammed up. I blame the sea mist. I think it corroded the hinges. Anyway, we had to spend all of that day just unhinging the doors. If the mist did that to these doors, then we might have to tear down everything that is here and place it all back. Hopefully we won’t have to worry about things trying to kill us in the process.

23rd Granite, Early Spring
Year 451
Danm that Nomal. He just went off and did his own thing, taking apart doors before they ought to have been. Oh well. On the bright side, he revealed an area that had two tanners shops. Of course, we will be tearing those shops down. We won’t be needing them for a good while, but we can use the space to store some of the furniture we found out here. I tried to convince our goblin and troll friends to help us out, considering the fact that we are so short handed, but the idiots just stood there and looked at me like I were a purring maggot. As well, I guess they would do better in battle that anywhere else.

1st Slate, Mid-Spring
Year 451
While waiting for the water to drain out, we did some probing. I felt like I knew so little about this places history. That and there were dozens of levers just on the levels we could reach. I didn’t know what any one of them did, so I pulled the two nearest to the place we came in through. There were creaks and groans. The roof above our head shook violently, and I thought I was causing a collapse. I just pulled the levers again, hoping that it would keep the roof from collapsing. Which it did. It took me a couple of hours to figure out that it just caused an aquifer that was apparently located above head to drain itself of its contents. It was this Fortresses cleaver and self refilling anti-sedge trap. I was intrigued at its mechanics. Whatever overseer thought it up must have been one hell of a dwarf.

3rd Slate, Mid-Spring
Year 451
I had Udil, our speardwarf, Go down the hole and see if it had finished draining today. It hadn’t. I had been waiting far too long and my patience was getting thin, so I had Nomal see what he could do. He went down with his pick ax and came pack in less than ten minutes. He desecrated this places integrity by mining right through the wall. Once I get this place set back up, I will have to repair that. At least he got us access to a larger area. Actually, now that I think about it, that gives me an Idea.

7th Slate, Mid-Spring,
Year 451
Today is a good day. Even the beasts roaming below our feet seemed quieter than usual. We just found an area big enough to start piling away the junk that we have in a neat and orderly fashion.  The waters had even drained down enough that I was able to help a bit. But that’s not even the best part. For the most part, the room was soaked all the way down to the rocks core, but under all the gook and mud was the last record for the stalk piles. We now know exactly how much of everything there should be here. In fact, if these numbers are accurate, we have enough useless clothing that we can afford to not make any trade goods for a couple of years and I was smart enough to tell some friends send a message out for me in the event that I went missing for a month or more. But that will be for later. In the mean time, work needs doing. I am going to see if I can hold a council. We all already agree that this is now our fort, but what are we going to do with it? Who will be our leader? We have been here a month, surviving of the only booze we brought in and plants that don’t look like they will last much longer. We need to have a proper plan.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 12:51:41 am »

Just how infested is this place with monsters?  Should we be walling off each section as we reclaim it, or is it safe enough?  Honestly, is the goal to make use of all the sections of the old fort, or slowly build up a smaller, walled-off working fort within the ruins?

Varsar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 12:21:05 pm »

I'd like to be dorfed as the hammerdwarf

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 04:39:32 pm »

Just how infested is this place with monsters?  Should we be walling off each section as we reclaim it, or is it safe enough?  Honestly, is the goal to make use of all the sections of the old fort, or slowly build up a smaller, walled-off working fort within the ruins?
I THINK we might be fine in doing a blind reclaim, thanks to the fact that the goblins and trolls don't seem to breath (been running across them everywhere I have breached thus far) and that them darn beasties all seem to be in MY future raw food storage room.
I'd like to be dorfed as the hammerdwarf
Perfict timing, now just let me rewrite what I have written and post it before I have to leave for the day, in like 30 minutes.

Pages: [1] 2