Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a (hopeful) water question  (Read 375 times)

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a (hopeful) water question
« on: November 15, 2011, 05:36:43 pm »

Got an embark I was really intriguied with - embarked on a river, and just as I embarked I had several cave in messages and thought oh, no, not again; normally when I see that I'm in for continuous hitting of the space bar as unending cavern collapse pauses finally convince me to just abandon and restart. This time, I was pleasantly surprised to only have a handful of messages...

...and when I looked around, I was delighted to find that the collapses had opened up the caverns below to the surface. In the area right behind my wagon, the collapse had brought tunnel tubes to the surface, and the ground in places was dotted with other varieties of underground trees. The river had been bisected in a couple of places, and (as I had paused it) appeared to be cascading into the caverns. I had to go, with no chance to play the new map, but I was kinda looking forward to it - wondering if the caverns would fill up and I'd end up with huge underwater caves and tunnels, and what I'd do with the network of exposed caverns.

I started it up today and (as more experienced players probably guessed would happen) was immedietly crushed by a 1 FPS rate (and, though the program indicates 1, if it's reaching 1 it's a very generous count...)  It must be all the water calculations, with the river in several places cascading into the caverns...  At first I thought I'd try to ride it out - after all, maybe when the rivers filled the caverns, the FPS would stabilize a bit - but I'm worried now, as there is a section of cavern exposed with water already in it that goes off the map edge - and my understanding is that this will act as an infinite drain and so water will never actually fill the caverns, it'll just make the biggest craziest waterfall series I've ever seen, and unfortunately never allow the FPS to recover.

So, is my understanding correct - is the water in the cavern off the edge essentially an infinite drain? Is my intriguing embark doomed to a 1 FPS abandonment?

Good news, in the 5 minutes or so that it took me to type this, my miners have mined one more square of sand....  :(  I'm sad, as I don't think this is going to end up playable...

TheIcelandicManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a (hopeful) water question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 05:41:58 pm »

If you really want to keep this just take DF hacks and the lava maker and drop some lava to make obisidan and by that you will cut off the Infinite drain thing.
You should then have a massive lake then but i advise you to try to cut the waterfall to half by making somesort of a tunnel or something so the waterfall will not be lagging you to death with the myst generator and endless water calculations.

Oh yea i allso think you can make al liquids stuck so they never move with the DF hack module but my memory is somewhat queasy but there should be something like that there.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:50:03 pm by TheIcelandicManiac »
Urist McHappy has entered a fit of euphoria!
Urist McHappy hugs the Fish Cleaner in the upper body, jamming his love through the brain and warming his callous heart!
The Fish Cleaner has been taught the value of friendship!
Sigged

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: a (hopeful) water question
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:59:12 pm »

I'd recommend exporting your world's worldgen parameters, regenerating it, then embarking in the same location again - chances are, it'll turn out "normal" instead of the glitchy/corrupted world you've got right now.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.