Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Perhaps the game is becoming too realistic... (Progressing realism?)  (Read 2651 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: Perhaps the game is becoming too realistic... (Progressing realism?)
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 12:05:33 am »

I'm talking about fortress mode...

I rarely play adventure mode...

Same here.  I'd probably play adventure mode more often, if I was able to play on the enemy side against an operational fortress, one I made in fortress mode.  I gave adventure mode thirty minutes; I couldn't get over a river, and gave it up.  If I could load in as a troll, with say six friendlies on the fringe of my old fortress, with them covering me with their blowguns. Playing as a creep on the sieges could be fun.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 03:18:43 pm »

Magic and artifacts with powers ought to make the game more fantasyish.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 04:02:21 pm »

ya but i dont know if magic should be in the game. i think tody is not going for the world of warcraft simulator
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 04:21:54 pm »

Planned, may be implemented after Caravan Arc (that probably will end around 2020)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 06:30:56 pm »

Look, I'll sum my opinion up with this.

The age of legends and heroes in human mythos was the age when individual warriors fought for their own glory and honour, immortalised in name. They were just incredibly skilled fighters, feats magnified by exaggeration and legend.

Why should it be any more different for dwarves? :P

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 11:34:15 pm »

Well, in the Shannara books, the Dwarfs were a superpower and humans a 3rd world race.  After the post apocalyptic fall of mankind, which stole man's compounded technological achievements, the Trolls and Gnomes took over.  Only the Dwarfs and the Elfs were able to resist their reign, and only when combined with the Druids.  Mankind would have gone extinct in Shannara's world without the aid of Dwarfs.

Why should it be any more different for dwarves? :P

Its different for Dwarfs because they are subterranean by nature.  In Shannara, they mutated from mankind, as a result of going down underground, to avoid the nukes and what not.  They evolved stubby legs to traverse vertically better, and increased eye capacity to see in pitch black.  As denizens of the earth, they were forced to develop the ability to do more with less.  This made them fierce battlefield tacticians and potent adversaries.  But in Shannara, the true power of the Dwarf was Hunting.  There was no more skillful hunters in the Shannara world than a Dwarf.  His low frame and earthy smell cloaked him from most predators, allowing almost invisible passage through areas other races disturbed without even knowing so.  Dwarfs are built for both ambush and the long hunt.

That is just one world of many with Dwarfs.  I don't know if it shines any light on anything.  I imagine mods exist to tweak DF more like certain worlds.  I sorta like the Dwarfs in Discworld.  There aren't many mentions of them, but they are tinkerers and hoarders.  There is magic all over that world tho.  From the center at Unseen University to the edge of its flat world as the four elephants spray back up water, into its oceans.  To the twinkle in the world turtle's eye.

I used to like Middle Earth, and Moria, until the MMO ruined my impression of the book's verbal imagery.  Give me fantasy over reality any day of the week. 

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 05:43:50 pm »

Nothing about that particularly screams god-like power though :P
Pages: 1 [2]