Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Perhaps the game is becoming too realistic... (Progressing realism?)  (Read 2653 times)

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This was partially prompted by Captaintastics descriptions of the game, being Gamer, Simulator, and constructionist.

He missed me at least.  Perhaps he missed others.

I sort of think that one of the neat things about Dwarf fortress .40d above this version is the way the stories are made.  The heroes are ridiculous, the enemies even more so, but in the latest version (And 2010 in general) I feel less like as if I am in the land of legends or a storybook, and more like a realistic person.

I believe dwarf fortress has 3 or 4 main components to the art, you may disagree, but anyways my complaint is on the story part of it.

So, .40d was still ridiculously realistic.  Don't get me wrong, but I want the game to act like that too.  I mean, .40d FELT like the age of Myth.  The warriors could launch goblins, a hero could recover from wounds, and holistic detective walked through lava. 

It felt like a tale, I mean, when you talk about battles long ago the tales do become bloated.  But the tales were ridiculous.  But the damage was real, there was still damage to the heart and the lungs....

They were said to be ridiculously strong.  And the hero, only after slaying a thousand goblins cut the enemy right in the heart, slaying the general, his body flying in the air for a minute, everyone watching it until it fell, landing in the lava, slowly melting away.  And he was promoted to king, and for a thousand years he ruled his kingdom.

But 2010 sort of feels more like real life.  Even though there are dragons the fighting doesn't seem to be overblown.  There isn't too much goblin launching.  And I dislike this.  It doesn't feel like as if there are heroes.  It feels more like as if they are people.  With a personality and problems.  These people aren't King Arthur, they may be good warriors, but they aren't gods on earth!

Perhaps what the game should do, is make the realism be progressive.  So for instance, in the age of myth a champion would have no issue slaying a thousand, because the player is probably in the age of fairytales, and when your grandpa reads you a story about the fort your in, it's going to be ridiculous.  Everything important will be much more bloated than it was, and everything unimportant won't matter at all. 

But as you approach a realistic time, perhaps the game should narrow the boundaries set by stuff.  Important things should still feel important but not legendary.  Real life stuff should matter more, the small, unimportant stuff should mean things.  Heroes should be less of gods and actually have problems.  Maybe people won't even realize their importance until they die of old age.

I know I explained this bad, but does anyone agree, disagree?
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Perhaps the game is becoming too realistic... (Progressing realism?)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:58:23 pm »

I understand what you're saying, though I must admit I never played 40d. It would be interesting (and indeed, enjoyable) to experience something like what you describe - it would definitely make it a lot easier to write your own legends - the game would sound like a legend already. However, from what I gather, many (if not most) people like how it's becoming more realistic (i.e. digging enemies in sieges, more accurate cave-in physics, destroyable walls, etc.), myself included. I agree that it would be great to experience the game like this, but I think if anything is done, the game shouldn't be completely reverted back to its previous state, with flying goblins and superdwarves. Perhaps a realism slider would be in order, but knowing first-hand how difficult it is to implement that sort of thing in a game (and I can't imagine how hard it would be to implement it in something as complex as Dwarf Fortress), I can't say I hold out too much hope for it.
That's my two cents.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 01:23:14 pm »

I could see that, Scaling factor tied to world state, perhaps in the stat boost for achieving legendary. so, in myth, even a farmer can grab a hammer, and in one swing, win the battle, and invent golf. but as the world passes into later ages, you won;t quite get as awesome, at least without hard work and good luck.
maybe 2x the bouns for myth, 1.3 for legend, and so on until in endstage worlds, being a legend doesn't count for much except nice furniture.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 03:03:40 pm »

huh. It seems like a cool idea, but it would be ridiculous to do. However, there are plans for implementation for the next decade, I'm sure there will be time.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 03:31:38 pm »

There is something more gratifying though.

Seeing your fortress, burning in the night.

The humble soap maker, hefts his hammer high.

And the beginning of the end comes nigh.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Then he, you know, smashes his way to the surface to rip the heart out of that Godzilla-Haunted Mountain titan with his bare hands, before a dwarf pulls the lever.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 05:04:36 pm »

Same thoughts here, Whisper.  That's just how I read Capt's posts, too.  Give me more fantasy, not realism in dwarf fortress.  While I like the deepness, and map generation, there is no way I want to sit here and look in a mirror of real life.  I have enough to memorize as it is.  I don't wanna keep looking up stuff on wiki to keep up with trap trends.  I want to figure them out myself.  We certainly won't be able to that if things become more realistic.  How many of you can read an electronics schematic or building blueprint?  I cannot, nor do I want to.  Yeah, I agree with you, before any considerations as to the design become anymore realistic, the basics of it being entertainment first and foremost, must be fleshed out.  Its not fun moving a squad, and not having it 'move' in a timely fashion.  Losing dwarfs to their own dumb AI decisions.  Don't get me wrong it is, but its not if its foolishly easy and unavoidable.  Nor is it not fun seeing unrealistic long floors built out from the sides of stairways to infinity without stilts, or supports.  While they are handy to have, they don't add enjoyment to the process, they add, clutter.  We should be able to mass pit without a pit.  Air tight room, anyone?  Or simply dunking cages in a murky pool.  Pits are fun, but it shouldn't be the ONLY way.  When the clutter is removed and fat trimmed, then I hope they move ahead.  I am in no way interested in this reputation system, Toady mentions for the future of DF.  Every single game I ever was involved in; that added reputation points, added micro transaction and CC purchases.  If a Civie likes me, good.  If it doesn't so what?  They can dance on these spears, its what I put them there for.  Just give me a way to make them happy or sad, I don't need to know the awful reputation points involved behind it.  The unrealist question should not be answered without atleast one unrealistic answer and one realistic answer.  One sidedness is bad design.  We can't initiate trade when our stockpiles are filled to the brim, we HAVE to wait until a foreigner comes.  Is that real?  Heck no.  Let us initiate more stuff.  There is fun in freedom.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Rage Against Dying of Light: Burritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 06:48:42 pm »

I'm actively practicing being more succinct, so I'll just add one sentence to this thread:  I usually like things to start out believable and get gradually & progressively more surreal.
It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

Also, valkyries are cooler then angels...

Vember

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 03:22:30 am »

Sorry, it is hard for me too see you point.

With all the modes out there, I believe you easily find the balance of realism personally suited for you. The greatest thing about DF is that it is soooo customizable.

As for me, I thoroughly embrace realism. I love the Legends mode, and I have probably spent more time analyzing the histories of conflicts in my generated worlds than actually playing fortress mode.

That said, I recently got astonished by a story of one Vamari (arctic-fox-like ice-dwelling people from Civilization Forge mod). He had been abducted by goblins as a cub, got brainwashed, then sent on the frontlines as sword fodder, became a Warlord (!) of the Goblin civilization, commanded (and won) something about 2 dozen battles, and managed to personally slay 8000 (!!!) enemies. Most of them were Vamari as well. He died of old age when he was around 50.

Morale:Heroes are still there.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 10:59:27 am »

I wasn't thinking it would be that hard.  Just for age of myth make it so that the Strength agility and toughness are still upgradeable stats, so people have a possibility of becoming impossibly powerful.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 11:51:29 am »

I think the reason you're not liking adventure mode is due to how weak the current demigods are. Demigods, as chlidren of the gods, should ideally be able to launch goblins into orbit with mauls. Instead, they are only slightly beefed up peasants. I hope that this gets fixed when toady rewrites adventurer roles.

Also, a better way to accomplish your goal is to make characters level to legendary and past only when they fight legendary enemies. Skills past legendary should give unproportionally large bonuses. So the effect is: as the amount of megabeasts dwindles with time, (and you enter a mundane age) so does the number of superlegendary actors.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 12:18:59 pm »

I think the reason you're not liking adventure mode is due to how weak the current demigods are. Demigods, as chlidren of the gods, should ideally be able to launch goblins into orbit with mauls. Instead, they are only slightly beefed up peasants. I hope that this gets fixed when toady rewrites adventurer roles.

Also, a better way to accomplish your goal is to make characters level to legendary and past only when they fight legendary enemies. Skills past legendary should give unproportionally large bonuses. So the effect is: as the amount of megabeasts dwindles with time, (and you enter a mundane age) so does the number of superlegendary actors.

There are 5 legendary levels, this disproportionate awesomeness already exists ;]

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 12:22:11 pm »

I'm talking about fortress mode...

I rarely play adventure mode...

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 01:28:36 pm »

I'm talking about fortress mode...

I rarely play adventure mode...
It still applies. Maybe your fort will naturally draw demigod immigrants when rich enough. Maybe you can attract enough big baddies to train up your peasants to pure awesome status.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 11:13:45 pm »

You just know if that were ever implemented, they would be abused the crap out of :P

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 11:16:04 pm »

maybe the realistic stuff got more realist wile the fantasy stuff got more fantasy-y

though i think plegue would be a nice add on
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms
Pages: [1] 2