Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disk won't play because the center ring is cracked? I just found your fix. [ERR]  (Read 7533 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

It all started a week ago, when my Soulcalibur IV disk, as disks are prone to do, had a crack in its center ring go all the way through said center ring. It then would not even register as a disk, much less play. So, I went on the internet for research, and found that the center ring is involved in making the laser bounce as it reads data, and if a crack goes all the way through it at any point the bounce fails. However, the ring contains no actual data, it is but plastic.

Everything I found said that this could never be fixed.

They were wrong.

Using a needle, a pair of pliers (to hold the needle because of the next item), and a lighter, I heated said needle to above the point at which it could melt plastic and melted the crack back together. The game started working fine again on the first attempt, and I didn't even fully seal the crack, just a section of it. I hope this helps some of you, because I know this problem was very annoying for me. I'm going to go fix my other ring damaged disk in a bit, now that I know this actually works.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:15:00 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disk won't play because the center ring is cracked? I just found your fix.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 04:32:30 pm »

That is an awesome fix, but let me state an obvious warning to everyone who tries. Triple check to make sure that the finished work is smoothed and that there are no tiny pieces of plastic left on it as this WILL destroy your system.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 04:35:12 pm »

I have quite a few disks damaged like that and they don't stop working until the crack reaches through to the data bit.

Or until the disk shatters in the drive...  Happened twice in this drive so far, both times my fault...  Little pieces of sharp disk are nasty...

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 07:17:50 pm »

Crazy! I always thought the answer was torrents...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:59:13 pm »

I've... never actually had a disk crack.

What do you people do with them? use them as coasters when you're not playing them?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 09:03:48 pm »

What do you people do with them? use them as coasters when you're not playing them?

+1. Even my Starcraft, Halo 3, and AoE II discs, each of which saw easily thousands of hours of use, never got any sort of cracks or scratches.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I really don't know what happened to it.

So....I've run into a snag. My parents are divorced, and so I have an Xbox at both houses and just transfer the hard drive, but at the place I'm at now the Soulcalibur IV disk suddenly isn't working.

I'm thinking that I may have not identified the correct problem. I think one of my Xboxs is rejecting the disc for some reason. Strange.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I really don't know what happened to it.

So....I've run into a snag. My parents are divorced, and so I have an Xbox at both houses and just transfer the hard drive, but at the place I'm at now the Soulcalibur IV disk suddenly isn't working.

I'm thinking that I may have not identified the correct problem. I think one of my Xboxs is rejecting the disc for some reason. Strange.

For the past few years I've been having trouble getting my Xbox to read discs. The only solution I've found is to rapidly open and close the tray manually until you hear the reader starting up. I'm not sure if this is what is happening to you, but if it just sits on the dashboard and doesn't register that there is a disc in the tray, it might be. Generally once mine has read a disc, it will start up reliably as long as I leave the disc in the tray when I turn it off.

3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

But it is this specific disk. No others.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Does it have that condition where a ring was scratched into it by the reader? Because apart from that, I don't know what it might be.

3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

No. It's a just a crack, a crack that is now sealed with plastic. Very odd.
No Gods, No Masters.