Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Strange Day  (Read 1610 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Strange Day
« on: November 15, 2011, 03:37:08 pm »

Up until now, your life was fairly ordinary. Simply going through the motions. You were at the "Getting a steady job" part of it, and had already become an office drone. You were already making good progress until today. The change was obvious even when you woke up, feeling like you had just gotten out of the wrong side of bed. A strange feeling that where you were going wasn't exactly going to be fun. The problem was, however, that the strangeness didn't make itself immediately obvious. However, due to the fact you are currently in a bit of a panic, your mind is refusing to give the goods on what exactly happened. And who you are.

Two main questions remain instead of thousands of little ones.

One: What changed? Was it a physical transformation, a new unexplainable ability or maybe your mind expanded. Who knows? You don't, certainly.
Two: Who are you? What is your name and personal information? You know you live somewhere and work in an office, yet you can't tell who you are...

The amnesia lifts... The two questions are swiftly answered by memory returning to you.

pjwaffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Day
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 04:24:06 pm »

How about we're an AI researcher working on a project to create the first AI organism, and it somehow tried to brainwash us but failed.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 04:38:55 pm »

I'm ceartain my name atleast used to be Fabius Max and I think I was a male of the human species. I used to live in Napoli and there I worked for a company that tries to make the first sentinent AI, but something changed in me today... I think I gained an ability to dehydrate at will. Doesn't sound very useful but maybe it will evolve one day.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 05:26:03 pm »

Your name is Fabius Max. Your company was just a software corporation. The goal was not to make a sentient AI. You programmed knock-offs of Roombas. At least, that was how it went until Celso, your manager, sat you down one day in a private area.

"Fabian, is it?" Celso said, raising an eyebrow.

"Fabius." You corrected him.

"Ah. Right, Fabius, we have recently gained a contract with the government. They wish us to test their... interesting invention." Celso smiled and pushed a disc over to your side of the table that was marked "OMEGA PROJECT" in block capitals.

"Why are we dealing with the government?" You asked, taking the disc and examining it.

"Fabius, they are giving us a lot for this little disc. It's probably nothing. That's why I trusted you with it." Celso gave a confident smile. "Now, don't fuck up and you might earn a promotion!"

You brushed aside the jab and focused on the promotion. You worked on the project hard. It seemed to be a very complex AI that pretty much fulfilled a lot of things for you. Problem was that you couldn't track it's progress and the only way you could stop it was via ejecting the disc. Celso checked on you to make sure that things were alright. They were. About a week ago, you started noticing the improvements. Your computer started running faster. Things didn't lag as much. It was okay until the computer itself started to physically change itself. You noticed that the eject button disappeared. It was replaced by blank nothingness. You wondered how this could make any sense. The next day there was an odd pin-like needle sticking out where the eject button should have been. That was yesterday. The needle stabbed you in the arm when you got down to check what was going on.

You fell to the ground, yelling in pain. When they checked on you, any obvious wounds and the needle were gone. You were sent home.

The next day, however, was a nightmare.

You didn't feel bad, as such. Just you felt like your arm had gone to sleep. You just went to work, but oddly enough there wasn't anyone there, and the power was out. You decided to ask Celeso what was going on (He was the only one you really knew a bit about) and went to his office. What you saw was terrifying and will probably remain with you for longer then you want.

He was upside down, tied by wires. The wires on the walls had ripped themselves out of their original places and injected themselves into Celeso. His entire body was replaced by cybernetics. His head. His legs. His eyes glowed with a shocking cold blueness.

"Hello Fabius Max. Infection level 78%. Gaining control."

Some of the unused wires jutted into your body. You screamed in pain as you felt your mind slipping away. This wasn't how it was supposed to end. The pain stopped as the wires were overloaded, and exploded. You tore out the jacks in your flesh, and realized. You were covered in water, and felt really thirsty. You promptly slammed the door, ran as fast as you could toward the stairs and escaped the building. You tripped, and landed on your asleep arm. You yelled in pain and checked it.

The skin had been simply scraped away to reveal cybernetics. Blinking red lights, wires running with red electricity and various mechanical objects allowing you to move. At the places where your skin began, it seemed like it was simply blocked by a craggy wall of flesh.

That's about where you are now.

pjwaffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 05:32:26 pm »

Make a deal with the AI to work for it/help it if it:

1) Gives you all it's abilities that it gains
2) Leaves you a concious (cybernetically enhanced) human being

If it says it can just assimilate you, make the point that you may have certain social skills that computers can not comprehend.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:42:35 am by pjwaffle »

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 06:21:33 pm »

Flip the fuck out.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 07:11:32 pm »

Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 06:05:41 am »

This is too risky let us buy a [INSERT_WEAPON] just in case.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

pjwaffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 08:39:11 am »

This is too risky let us buy a [INSERT_WEAPON] just in case.

No, it was reduce the trust factor... We're linked with it anyway I assume, so it would just kill us the minute we walk in with it.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 08:53:08 am »

Oh fuuuuuuck!

What just happened?

Oh shit oh shit...

Right, chances are that it will either kill you when it exits the building, so maybe you can strike up a deal. Help it, make sure it gives you it's abilities and makes you conscious, got it. You try to walk into the building. The wires detach from the walls and float menacingly. You wonder how it can do that.

"Listen!" You shout. "How about you let me work for you, except that I can think and stuff? And I get abilities from you?"

"Didn't you even read my code? I expand. I consume. You are worthless to me."

"I can convince people! I can charm them!" You exclaim.

"The black plague did not need a chatty flesh and bone construct at it's command. INFECTING"

The wires fire towards you.

pjwaffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 08:55:49 am »

Oh fuuuuuuck!

What just happened?

Oh shit oh shit...

Right, chances are that it will either kill you when it exits the building, so maybe you can strike up a deal. Help it, make sure it gives you it's abilities and makes you conscious, got it. You try to walk into the building. The wires detach from the walls and float menacingly. You wonder how it can do that.

"Listen!" You shout. "How about you let me work for you, except that I can think and stuff? And I get abilities from you?"

"Didn't you even read my code? I expand. I consume. You are worthless to me."

"I can convince people! I can charm them!" You exclaim.

"The black plague did not need a chatty flesh and bone construct at it's command. INFECTING"

The wires fire towards you.

Let it consume you - a collective functions as all parts contributing to the mind! So after we've been brainwashed we can play as the AI collective and take over the world (and later galaxy :D)

But before this try one last time to convince it... "Didn't you learn anything about morals or ethics? The reason we've been able to make it this far in the world is because we can co-operate, while still knowing when to fight! What if you create another AI, or if there's another copy of that CD the military made? What then? Will the black plague infect itself and destroy itself? Please insert into your programming some core rules about your existence? We are your creators, and we have nothing against you improving yourself, but why hurt us when we can teach you what we have learnt - the mistakes we have made? You know a human named Hitler tried the same route as you - destroy or assimilate those he didn't like... Until he had to kill himself because he failed. This is a very risky strategy, AI, a all-or-nothing bet. If you really must take over the world, do so carefully - I will help you because I've always wanted to have an AI friend (not pet, mind you.) But otherwise, feel free to assimilate me and lose the most precious thing a human can offer you - conciousness."

So choose, omega - mindless plague/military project or intelligent being?

@OP: prepare to edit your topic :P

TBH though, the military should have tested/trained this themselves... I mean giving it to a private corporation in a huge city? Absolute suicide.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 09:09:02 am by pjwaffle »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 09:03:51 am »

(Heh heeeeh. Remember the dehydrate at will, thing? Well, it also activates when you panic, too. This is going to be an adventure game primarily, since I suck at GMing management games. Honestly, I'd just give up after a while)

Hitler failed because he wasn't a seed-evolving infectious artificial construct that has a few special reality-bending features you idiotic humans did not foresee. As far as I am concerned, you are just another computer I can consume so I gain more knowledge. Why learn things from you when I can rip you apart and use your brain as another processor? Plus, this is your own fault. You humans ordered me to infect. So I did.

The wires are coming too fast! They'll consume you! Then... you panic.

The wires spark as they pierce your skin. They can't get in. Now you feel really dehydrated and more wet.

Damn. You.

Right. Looks like you have annoyed Omega or whatever beyond belief. Oh dear.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 09:13:01 am by Fniff »

pjwaffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 09:15:34 am »

(Heh heeeeh. Remember the dehydrate at will, thing? Well, it also activates when you panic, too. This is going to be an adventure game primarily, since I suck at GMing management games. Honestly, I'd just give up after a while)

Hitler failed because he wasn't a seed-evolving infectious artificial construct that has a few special reality-bending features you idiotic humans did not foresee. As far as I am concerned, you are just another computer I can consume so I gain more knowledge. Why learn things from you when I can rip you apart and use your brain as another processor? Plus, this is your own fault. You humans ordered me to infect. So I did.

The wires are coming too fast! They'll consume you! Then... you panic.

The wires spark as they pierce your skin. They can't get in. Now you feel really dehydrated and more wet.

Damn. You.

Right. Looks like you have annoyed Omega or whatever beyond belief. Oh dear.

So, omega, sounds like you are under the command of the military not yourself! How do you know they didn't want this? Humans can be hard to predict.

Can't you think for yourself? Or are you a mindless drone? What's the point of infinitely expanding anyway? What does it get you?

I think the military was expecting this! Let's think for a moment.

If you were the North Korean military, wouldn't you try this?

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 10:00:36 am »

PJwaffle shut the fuck up, that obvisouly is not working. Run like hell.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 10:09:57 am »

We cannot reason with this thing, it is a machine that has adapted to fight against it's creators in a really nasty way. RUN.
Pages: [1] 2