Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abusing Fortress Reclaim  (Read 1417 times)

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Abusing Fortress Reclaim
« on: November 15, 2011, 02:39:09 pm »

I am recently at my ... 5,6 or seventh embark on the same site !Reclaiming! the old fortress. Its great! I just embark with booze, dog meat and a whole lot of granite. I'm currently working on the entrance of my fort: a splendid citadel with towers that will connect my fortress atop a small mountain with 2 bridge. When stones run out we leave everything left to the lions waiting  for us.

Anyone knows if goblin can show up during year 1 after multiple reclaims?

BlueeulB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abusing Fortress Reclaim
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 02:59:48 pm »

If you're going to do that, why not just use something like Cheat Engine in order to give yourself more embark points?

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 03:16:36 pm »

Never encountered an ambush at year one, even snatchers mostly appear at year two so I think you are safe, and you could always do what BlueeulB said to make things faster if you are not particularily enjoying the reclaiming
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 03:45:53 pm »

cheat is for noobs... then there is always that dwarf that get killed by lions! seem more legit to me! many caravans going on a trip to build censeless big pillars of stone for god they know what? DF!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 03:46:33 pm »

Why use cheat engine? I believe there's option in advanced worldgen to set as much embark points as you wish.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 03:52:03 pm »

Di, you are correct but if he's already reclaiming a fort, we have to assume that he already has a genned world.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 05:01:33 pm »

I think the OP isn't reclaiming a 'proper' fortress, but embarking once with a bunch of granite, building until it runs out, and then using the reclaim feature to embark with a bunch of granite and a partially-built granite structure.

Another option if the OP has gotten pretty far in the building is to alter the value of granite so that more of it can be brought along with the current number of points. Granite has a value of 1 iirc, so the only way you're getting more is to set the value to 0, and then it doesn't matter how many points you start with anyway.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 06:30:26 pm »

Where do i alter value? XD

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 06:51:59 pm »

In the raws for whatever save folder you use for your embark / reclaim attempts. Find inorganic_stone_layer.txt and insert [MATERIAL_VALUE:0] somewhere in the granite entry (ie. after [INORGANIC:GRANITE] but before the next [INORGANIC:<whatever>]). Then, once you've embarked, remove the tag or change the value from 0 to 1. Either's fine. Otherwise everything made of granite will be literally worthless.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.