Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: let us burn corpses in wood and magma furnaces, plz  (Read 1455 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
let us burn corpses in wood and magma furnaces, plz
« on: November 15, 2011, 02:07:26 pm »

Hello,

I've got lotsa clutter to clear out in my corpse stockpile.  Is there anyway we could get a MELT option on remains and corpse items?  That'd be a huge bonus to the game, IMHO.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: let us burn corpses in wood and magma furnaces, plz
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 02:08:21 pm »

If you have a magma furnace, you have magma. Just dump the bodies in the magma.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 02:17:56 pm »

I'd prefer it to be a /R task, sorta automated.  But until I get that feature, if I do.. haha.   I'll do what you told me to do.  Thank you for the pro tip, I never knew I could do that.  This is my very first magma fortress.  I had to flood the last workspace because my magma drained off the map, WAY too fast and I couldn't keep it under the craft stations.  It sizzled right thru my floodgate, was a disaster.  Just glad I have time to rebuild. 

Now I have lotsa Obsidian for what its worth. 

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 03:50:28 pm »

Its fairly automated. Just set a garbage zone around a pit full of magma and designate the bodies for dumping. Your way would be pretty much the same amount of effort.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 03:57:23 pm »

You'd still have to deal with the ghosts, and if you destroy the bodies you'll need slabs, which require far more effort than coffins.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 04:13:14 pm »

You'd still have to deal with the ghosts, and if you destroy the bodies you'll need slabs, which require far more effort than coffins.

If non-dwarf sentients had ghosts, any decent fort would be covered in ectoplasm.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 04:19:28 pm »

Yes but that is true either way, until cremation-by-magma is a recognized form of disposal which doesn't create ghosts.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 05:48:07 pm »

What happens if you bury them in wooden coffins a chamber you periodically fill with magma? Do they stay put to rest or something?

TheIcelandicManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 05:52:49 pm »

I did that with nobles a couple of times but they just decided to go all ghost on my ass, dont advise you to do that but on the other hand i was able to make a massive stack of Coffins by making water move them away.
Urist McHappy has entered a fit of euphoria!
Urist McHappy hugs the Fish Cleaner in the upper body, jamming his love through the brain and warming his callous heart!
The Fish Cleaner has been taught the value of friendship!
Sigged

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 07:39:58 pm »

What happens if you bury them in wooden coffins a chamber you periodically fill with magma? Do they stay put to rest or something?

Coffins are destroyed... along with the bodies. Ghosts pop in shortly after.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 07:40:58 pm »

I always try to put an engraved memorial slab at the head of each coffin anyway so these things are never a problem for me.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 05:52:44 am »

Being "consigned to magma" should be an honorable... no, a desirable method of 'burial' for a dwarf!

Like burial at sea for sailors!

The game should be designed so that no ghost should appear if the dwarf's remains are consigned to MAGMAAAAAA.

Once again: MAGMAAAAAA

(Even better if it involves being dropped into the magma sea from at least 50 Z-levels above.)
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 06:21:35 am »

maybe you dont want to make it a garbage zone, since i use those if i want to sort my stockpiles (dump what i want seperated, make special stock, forbid it in the others, reclaim) but i think you can "pit" it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 11:41:13 am »

Coffins are destroyed... along with the bodies. Ghosts pop in shortly after.
I did that with nobles a couple of times but they just decided to go all ghost on my ass, dont advise you to do that but on the other hand i was able to make a massive stack of Coffins by making water move them away.

Thanks.

Oh, this should probably have been mentioned already, but it should be pretty easy to make a reaction that uses corpses. Of the top of my head, you could add this to reaction_smelter.txt:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:CORPSE_BURNING]
[NAME:burn corpse to ash]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:CORPSE:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:ASH:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

And add this to the entity file:

Code: [Select]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:CORPSE_BURNING]
Unfortunately, having just tried that in my current game(I replaced the bituminous coal to coke reaction's workings) my little ponies seemed to be picking up any old thing, like odd bits of diorite or the copper bars they just smelted. Nothing in the errorlog relating to it, just the usual word selector and pathing spam. I suppose you could cludge it by making the reaction deliberately take any old thing and lock the furnace operator in with corpses, or repost in the modding forum and see if anyone can fix it.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 08:46:28 am »

From the wiki in the "cheating" section:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"
Pages: [1] 2