Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deadly dust contagion?  (Read 1260 times)

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deadly dust contagion?
« on: November 15, 2011, 09:28:46 am »

I, a while back, happened to fight a FB with deadly dust. the battle was quick, and in my favor, but a few of my legendary soldiers suffered unconciousness, total paralysis, and full body rot.

A few months later, I noticed two dwarves passing out. They didn't have the exact same symptoms (no paralysis), but had body rot, and eventually bled out. Were these related? Does deadly dust stay around (i.e forgotten beast extract/ichor)?

I purged the area around my wells with magma, but then df crashed. I want to prevent this syndrome from spreading. So, any ideas?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deadly dust contagion?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 09:31:50 am »

The dust or blood, whichever is the cause, is probably on someone's gear (e.g., on their boots leaving bloody/dusty footprints of doom, or on their gloves, and getting smeared on whatever they get food/drink out of, etc).

The solution, if you don't go with Necro's favorite, is to give your dwarves a bath (have them walk through 3/7 or 4/7 water).  Just remember that any contaminants will stay in the water ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 09:46:34 am »

if they stay in the water, do dwarves who go through the trench still suffer the effects?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 09:49:44 am »

if they stay in the water, do dwarves who go through the trench still suffer the effects?
Yes. 
It's possible, as krenshala said, for some of the dust/blood to be stuck on some gear, which will pass along its syndrome to anyone who wears or handles it.  I'm not sure about it leaving "footprints of doom," unless you have "walking spreads splatter" switched on in the init files.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 09:58:59 am »

alright, so i tapped a river to my decon trench, so i have flowing water through it. hopefully, nobody walks around that part of my mine....

thanks for the help!

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 11:35:42 am »

If you're not averse to cheating, DFHack has a "clean" function. I tend to use it a lot to remove blood and vomit so my framerate will stop choking on it, but it also works on FB extracts.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 11:44:24 am »

I don't think deadly dust leaves spatters or something. Due to syndromes random generation you could get one that has several stages or several simultaneous effects with different active time. Weren't those two fighting the fb?
p.s. that river diverting is quite dorfy measure to take even if explicit one  ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:46:17 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 01:47:43 pm »

I believe that this forgotten beast extract covering was causing the problems. Right now, I got two dwarves with rotting feet, some random planter and a recruit lasher.

if things start falling apart, i'll use dfhack clean. =D

and thank you, I was wondering how to get some flowing water, and i already had a channel system....