Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Keeping a Journal in Adventure Mode - And Having the Game Understand It  (Read 768 times)

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile

Listening to DF talk, I was specifically struck by Toady mentioning the problem of your party knowing when to be serious, I thought that a good solution might be to have a game-aware journal.

This journal would be able to keep track of both your quests and your personal goals.

Personal goals would be entered by selecting from a set list of things to do (conquer, master, befriend, kill, survive, invent, create, etc.) followed by a set of modifiers that make sense for the action (Conquer the dark tower RapeMurders, Master the art of stonecarving, Become the king of BronzeTowers, etc.).  Dates can be assigned as either self imposed deadlines/goals (Become king of  BronzeTowers by year 1028, Survive the cold until spring) or as "Action dates" (We strike the killing blow to the goblin civilization next Tuesday, We attack at dawn).  Goals could either be made public (I'm campaigning to be the mayor, vote for me!), private (Don't tell anyone outside this group our plans, or I'll kill you where you stand), or personal (If my crew figures out what I plan to do, there will surely be mutiny!).

The game can be aware of these goals and set the proper mood (The election is tonight, ready the ale for a celebration!; Tomorrow, we're up against an army, and there is but 10 of us - we need to plan this out [alternatively - I need a stiff drink]; We've done it!  We have a stall in every market in the kingdom!)

Quests given by other people could use this framework to randomly generate more interesting quests, as well as keep track of them in a way that makes sense.

Any thoughts, objections or suggestions are welcome, as well as lists of what categories and modifiers should be implemented.  This is a pretty rough, but versatile framework that could probably encompass 90-95% of whatever goals a player might have.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping a Journal in Adventure Mode - And Having the Game Understand It
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:45:50 am »

It would much nicier and bad ass if the game generates a  journal and you try to understand.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 11:03:48 am »

It would much nicier and bad ass if the game generates a  journal and you try to understand.

You're missing the point:

the problem of your party knowing when to be serious

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:57:09 pm »

This sounds like a great idea, though I haven't played adventure mode (will dive into it next release) so I'm not sure if it would be cumbersome or not.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:59:57 pm »

This sounds like a great idea, though I haven't played adventure mode (will dive into it next release) so I'm not sure if it would be cumbersome or not.
You deffently need to try it, it allows you to jump into the thick of the action.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.