Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Role of the player.  (Read 3147 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Role of the player.
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 09:44:01 pm »

Deep stuff.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 09:44:41 pm »

The Player is either Armok, a Hive mind assigned to certain dwarves, or an overriding aspect of the dwarves'
drunkeness. OR their beards.

When I play DF, I am the dwarven drunkeness.
This explains why they don't work as hard when the booze runs dry.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 10:02:05 pm »

I play as the writer of a narritive writ in blood and vomit chronicling the trials and troubles of a small colony, experiancing their difficulties and triumphs and disasters as I write the story never quite knowing how it's ploted to come out in the end.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 10:13:29 pm »

Me, I don't play it. I am an impartial observer with some slim control over those I watch squirm helplessly about far below.

Just like how I approach the rest of my life, really.

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 10:18:38 pm »

I am the will of the fortress itself.  As soon as the location has been found, I am generated.  As the dwarves leave for my future location, I am named.  I use my will to manipulate the hairy ones as best I can to craft me into something powerful.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 10:28:21 pm »

I am the badgers. The elephants. The carp. The inferior ones kneel before me in fear, sacrificing themselves.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 10:49:20 pm »

This is one of the things that toady hasn't added yet.

A sense of perspective.

It's one of the artistic things about this game. 

It will be much more awesome if you figure it out on your own.

But I will tell you, it is hilariously satirical.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:57:25 pm by RabidAnubis »
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Clotifoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 10:58:07 pm »

I usually take the perspective of a certain material deep beneath the surface.  It's hot and glowing and used for fuel, now if only I could remember the name of it.  One guy knows the name of it, in fact he's pretty famous for knowing what I am talking about! Shame he can't clear up this misconception I am having regarding this curious molten material.
"What's the deep dark pit, that turns mining operations to shit?"  "The shaft!"  "You see this shaft is a bad mother--"
"Shut your mouth!"
"But I'm talkin' about the shaft!"
"Then we can dig it."

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 11:58:33 pm »

I usually take the perspective of a certain material deep beneath the surface.  It's hot and glowing and used for fuel, now if only I could remember the name of it.  One guy knows the name of it, in fact he's pretty famous for knowing what I am talking about! Shame he can't clear up this misconception I am having regarding this curious molten material.

No worries, I got this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 04:06:44 am »

After we've got most of the features we'd want for playing DF (caravan and army arcs, possibly magic arc too) is probably when Toady will develop this aspect more. The ultimate goal being you step into the shoes of any historical figure (be they dwarf or other) and just play out from there. If you pick the leader of a group (e.g. fort overseer) then you will be getting reports from dwarves to represent what you know. Ideally, there'd be obfuscation of those reports because of dishonesty and incompetence.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 06:32:49 am »

I imagine it like pinnochio.  I'm Jimmy the Cricket.  If he had wings made of blood.  And fangs.  And dementia...
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 06:45:25 am »

Deep stuff.

I am Urist's raging bile duct.
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 09:48:58 am »

to guide the dwarfs to ride the earth of elves.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 10:18:56 am »

I'm a hairy parasite know for feasting on dwarven blood, I'm the beard hivemind.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 11:10:19 am »

I am the humble narrator.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4