Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Role of the player.  (Read 3144 times)

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
Role of the player.
« on: November 14, 2011, 06:00:10 pm »

A question to you guys,  how do you see yourself in the context of the game?

do you consider yourself simply the player, detatched from the world and just gaming it.  or as part of the dwarven nobility issuing commands to your minions?  a god perhaps,  or even one of the starting dwarves? (ive named a starting dwarf after myself before and made every attempt to keep him alive and happy, ending the fort if he dies)

Personally I see myself as part of the fort,  either as an outside part of the nobility, issuing orders to the fort, or as one of the starting 7

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Role of the player.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 06:02:43 pm »

The Player is either Armok, a Hive mind assigned to certain dwarves, or an overriding aspect of the dwarves'
drunkeness. OR their beards.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 06:10:54 pm »

If you've ever read the Ender's Game series, I imagine myself as a form of bugger queen (king) who controls most dwarves, and tantrum -ing/moody/berserk dwarves are just "rogues" as described in the book.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 06:15:14 pm »

i think i said this somewhere before. I'm CEO

theres a boss telling me to achieve sometimes ridiculous things (mayor), a numbers clerk to tell me the status and a manager i can delegate "getting things actually done" to
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 06:25:08 pm »

I think of it like SimCity or Dungeon Keeper.  We are some sort of omniscient controller that is related to, though not necessarily a member of, the group in question.

Saying that the player is Armok, and thus the dwarves are slaves to the player, seems accurate to me.  I tend to have the landscape stained red from fallen enemies.  Blood for the Blood God.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 06:30:02 pm »

Depending on the fort, and/or my mood at the time, I consider myself either a form of dwarven collective consciousness(not quite hive mind, they can still have independent thoughts), a god a la Armok(and maybe the odd temple to myself) or as an author/director working to create an interesting narrative.

Usually it's the first one.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 07:25:58 pm »

The same way I see myself in the context of everything else. An enigmatic, omnipotent being, the likes of which is the single highest power in existence.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 07:27:20 pm »

The Player is either Armok, a Hive mind assigned to certain dwarves, or an overriding aspect of the dwarves'
drunkeness. OR their beards.

When I play DF, I am the dwarven drunkeness.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 08:28:28 pm »

Oh, and sometimes I name a dwarf after my favorite adventurer (Funtime Angryanus the Bald Crazed Arch-Apple of Balls!) and make him the mayor. He has amazing rooms and control over the entire fortress. Eventually, once I get enough dwarves, I make him have 3, 7 or 9 advisers and they broaden my reign!  It's quite Fun because if the mayor dies then I abandon the fort. I dunno, its just a fun play style I think.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 08:43:02 pm »

I write my fortress logs from the PoV of a dwarf. Which dwarf? Any and all dwarves. If one dies, I can deem that it was never that dwarf.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 08:46:10 pm »

I generally tend to see myself as a deity of some sort, handing down orders from a higher plane of existence. However, in more narrative-driven contexts I tend to see myself more as the sum of all of my dwarves; in-story, each decision I make is actually made and put into place by a specific dwarf involved, usually a designated overseer of some sort (Boatmurdered and Headshoots have definitely influenced me quite a bit here).
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 09:06:21 pm »

It's hard to articulate. I feel like I'm nature, in the sense that everything I do is the same as if the dwarves could actually function on their own. Everything that I do is what is meant to happen, I'm just channeling fate. Or something. Maybe it's more like I'm the concept of dwarven life, I represent what goes through all of their minds simultaneously. The avatar of their thoughts, if you will.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 09:09:32 pm »

I am whichever dwarf is making that decision at this moment. The mayor? The Duke? Sure.

Or, I'm the guy completing all those "Go kill a ______ for me." quests.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 09:10:06 pm »

I am the hive mind of the beards, it's obvious.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 09:20:30 pm »

It's too much of an existential question for me to consider.  When I do, I start considering my own existence, and quickly a huge string of "if that being controls this being, then some being must control that being" thoughts, and I eventually must postulate that the string of control is ultimately circular, meaning that while I control the dwarves, the dwarves also control me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4