Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invention  (Read 1498 times)

Deathbringer9000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Invention
« on: November 14, 2011, 04:18:13 pm »

i dont know if anyone has said this before or not, but i think the 'strange mood' thing could be used to cause 'new' things to be invented; things that arent native to dwarves- like halberds, or gunpowder

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Invention
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 04:22:45 pm »

Probably been suggested.

Currently, weapons that can't normally be made by dwarves (halberds, bows, etc) can be mooded, but you can't make more of them, or even arrows for your bows. I guess the idea would be figuring out how to say "Urist McMoodyBowyer made an artifact chestnut bow menacing with spikes of bat bone and whatnot, now the fortress (or at least Urist) can study the bow and make more, as well as arrows." This would be a good idea, especially the arrows thing.
Not sure about mooding gunpowder, etc, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 07:10:03 pm »

i dont know if anyone has said this before or not, but i think the 'strange mood' thing could be used to cause 'new' things to be invented; things that arent native to dwarves- like halberds, or gunpowder
Congratulations, you are the thousandth member of this forum! ... who has suggested gunpowder. No, guns won't happen: balance, atmosphere, influence on combat tactics. Maybe some kind of explosive, but even then, dynamite is certainly too industrial. Fireworks is more likely.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 07:20:20 pm »

Gunpowder has been suggested multiple times by several people, me included. It's always been turned down, and some people rudely demand that suggesting gunpowder be stopped and should receive a warning.

Of course, gunpowder can always be modded in...

I think gunpowder should be added. As well as oil, and both can be added to help against sieges. (oil can set fire to the map, though) But if other races can use the black powder, you'll have many stories as to why your fort fell or was untouchable. Was your fort undefeated because your dwarven cannons pierced every armor and killed all? Did your fort fall because your swords and shields couldn't stand up to the goblin guns?

Gunpowder can be used to create iron grenades to help mine or to whip the goblins' asses, and oil barrels can be used as incendiary catapult ammo. But this is just me. And I'm being yelled at for being so.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 07:32:24 pm »

Probably been suggested.

Currently, weapons that can't normally be made by dwarves (halberds, bows, etc) can be mooded, but you can't make more of them, or even arrows for your bows. I guess the idea would be figuring out how to say "Urist McMoodyBowyer made an artifact chestnut bow menacing with spikes of bat bone and whatnot, now the fortress (or at least Urist) can study the bow and make more, as well as arrows." This would be a good idea, especially the arrows thing.

Can dwarves even use bow and arrows? I've always wondered about that...

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 09:48:09 pm »

Probably been suggested.

Can dwarves even use bow and arrows? I've always wondered about that...
They can, but they won't do so without orders to specifically use a bow and arrows, since they regard them as foreign.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 10:29:55 pm »

Just going to say, this isn't a gunpowder idea thread.  This is a thread over the ideas of invention on artifacts, which I disagree with.  I like the idea of 'masterful' and then showing my artifact and being like "HAH!"
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 09:38:44 am »

I think gunpowder should be added. As well as oil, and both can be added to help against sieges. (oil can set fire to the map, though) But if other races can use the black powder, you'll have many stories as to why your fort fell or was untouchable. Was your fort undefeated because your dwarven cannons pierced every armor and killed all? Did your fort fall because your swords and shields couldn't stand up to the goblin guns?

I have to disappoint you on the oil: if the economy is anything near believeable, it will be much too expensive to throw on your enemies. In reality, boiling water and feces were used for the burns and their demoralizing/infecting effect, respectively.

Something gunpowder-like as part of a demonic plot, now that's something different... if only because the source is limited so it won't make 3/4 of the other weapon skills useless.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 02:28:24 pm »

Are you KIDDING ME!? NONE! I repeat, NONE, of those threads are mine! What about my thread where dwarves invent procedural weapons!? WHAT ABOPUT THAT!???!?!?!?!?!? I fell so left out!
I wouldn't be too proud about producing clutter...

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 03:41:25 pm »

Technically my suggestion was procedural weapons. Its not really clutter but its not really a good idea either.