Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Via Stella [Hiring]  (Read 5154 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Require a Programmer/Pixel Artist/Musician!
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2011, 07:19:22 am »

That's a tough question, really. In actuality, we can make our own type, nonfiction music if you will, because of the nonfiction setting. However, I imagine it to be a sci-fi type of music.

Am I the only one wondering what exactly "nonfiction music" is supposed to be?

Also: If you need to solicit people to program and create the visual and musical content for your game... what exactly are you contributing to the project? It sounds like you're not really bringing much to the table except "design" and trying to see who on the Internet will do the rest of the work for you. At the very least, you will need extensive design documents and plans to present to people, especially if design is all you're doing. Do not ask people to start programming, drawing, or composing for your game until you can tell them precisely what it is they're supposed to be programming, drawing, or composing. You do not seem to know any of this yet. My advice? Go back to the drawing board, write up some extensive design documents (plot, setting, game mechanics, aesthetic sense, anything that you need), then start asking around for help, because right now, you have nothing to show.

In my very honest opinion, coming to a message board with a vague idea about a game, and assuming the game is going to somehow turn out "very profitable" despite little description, presumably little experience, no team, no visible portfolio, nothing to vouch for you, and few relevant skills to bring to the table yourself... that really is the height of arrogance. You don't even seem very clear on what you want your own game to be, and don't have a handle on any of the technical aspects (why do you assume it should be C++ even though you aren't a programmer, or MIDI even though you clearly know little about audio?), so why are you assuming your own nebulous, wispy design ideas are so lucrative?

By the way: Why in God's name would you be considering MIDI in 2011? Speaking as a person who knows at least a little bit about digital audio, this is the worst possible option you could have thought of. The only reason to distribute music on MIDI is if you literally are putting it out via floppy disk or 56k modem or something. It's not 1994, and we're not running DOS. You can't even guarantee a MIDI will sound similar across different systems (unless you put a lot of work into that, of course). There is virtually no reason to even consider it, trust me.

Whilst I am able to create pixel graphics, I was putting out for Pixel Artists in case there were those with greater skill than me, as performed by the previous Pixel Artist I was going to use.
I've drawn up a 36 page document thus far which covers all the features required to be built into the game, as well as how the game should be built. Admittantly, it also needs more details technical-side, which are to be filled in on discussion with the team-to-be.
I intend not to publicly release this document. I have given the Contents table, and is all I intend to release on it, publicly.
Alongside the document, I also have a work flow chart in what elements are to be met and by when, with a selection of colour-coded responses to that element's progress.

I do not "know any of <Via Stella>" yet, because I wanted it to be a team effort. I have a clear idea of what I want Via Stella to be, but I did not want to affect input from other team members on ideas by pre-meditated thoughts inplanted by my own desires.

I didn't come to a message board, I came to a place where I know I can find friends.

Admittantly, I haven't explained the project in a professional manner.

I've been "making games" since I was 13 (Not that you can count RPG Maker as making games :D) or so, nearly 22 now, and have travelled the wide internet in experience and research in how a game works.

Again, as for my own skills, I am capable of Pixel graphics.

In terms of Arrogance, the irony is, that you are making all these less-than-kind derogative observations, as opposed to asking me questions. No love lost, however. <3

C++ is, by my own experience with meeting programmers, a fair balance between what is most well known, least buggy and most powerful. If a programmer were to have to leave the team, I'd rather not have the game half-written in a language that the next guy doesn't know.

Via Stella is a 2D Pixel game, using classic-appearing 32x64 sprites. Whilst MP3 is lovely, you can't undermine the beautiful nostalgia of the MIDI, which would not be out of place for the game's appearance.

I do not believe my game shall be "lucrative", but I do expect it to be able to sell on Steam. The game hits on a niche, I haven't met a decent Space RPG/Simulation since Freelancer, and even that didn't have much going for it on the Simulation side.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2011, 07:33:53 am »

I've been "making games" since I was 13 (Not that you can count RPG Maker as making games :D) or so, nearly 22 now, and have travelled the wide internet in experience and research in how a game works.

Then by now you should be able to provide examples of your prior work, especially since you stated that you've worked with others before.

C++ is, by my own experience with meeting programmers, a fair balance between what is most well known, least buggy and most powerful.

"Least buggy" is a rather odd thing to call a programming language. If you mean it's hard to write bad/buggy code in C++, then it's actually quite bad in that respect, because you're dealing with both higher-level/OOP stuff and messing around with things as low-level as pointers fairly directly. It's not a particularly safe language. It is, however, still very widely-used and at least is easier to support across multiple platforms than .NET.

Via Stella is a 2D Pixel game, using classic-appearing 32x64 sprites.

I find it odd that you specify sprite size so exactly, but whatever. I'm kind of curious why you mentioned vector graphics if it's meant to be a pixel-art style of game, though.

Whilst MP3 is lovely, you can't undermine the beautiful nostalgia of the MIDI, which would not be out of place for the game's appearance.

In this case, I would still recommending recording the MIDI first and distributing that way (in MP3 or whatever other compression scheme), so you can at least count on it sounding the same across platforms/computers, while still retaining the retro feel you're going for. That way, you can apply whatever soundfonts, effects, or whatever else you want, and play the MIDI on any hardware you want, then get that particular sound to all your users. I definitely understanding want to go for that retro appeal, but it's specifically distributing in MIDI that you don't have much of any reason to do.

I do not believe my game shall be "lucrative", but I do expect it to be able to sell on Steam.

You said you expected it to be profitable, which is what I was referring to.

I apologize for being a little caustic, but it always comes off as a little strange and self-important when someone comes onto a forum and asks around for people to essentially perform most functions of creating a game he has ideas for, especially when they don't show what they themselves have done before, or are capable of. When you're soliciting help, that's basically the first thing you want to do.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2011, 07:58:19 am »

Then by now you should be able to provide examples of your prior work, especially since you stated that you've worked with others before.

Prior works mayhap, but none of any note, because none have ever been finished. I've always found myself with less-than examplatory team members, suffice to say.

The only project that ever got off the ground was an early edition of MyWorld, and that's because I used a premade engine that was written in VB6. However, it only supported classic RPG elements, and I find VB6 very limiting. Or at least, previously I had done so. Turns out you *can* get Alpha Blending into VB6.

There is also Project Terra, which is an MMORPG,. I have a half-gig of planning on so far, but that is going to be a large project. I do not want to go into it with a half-assed team. So, Via Stella is a means to an end, in that it will financially support the server, before traffic-cash generatio, for it on release, and I'll have a tried-and-tested team with me, post-Via-Stella.

"Least buggy" is a rather odd thing to call a programming language. If you mean it's hard to write bad/buggy code in C++, then it's actually quite bad in that respect, because you're dealing with both higher-level/OOP stuff and messing around with things as low-level as pointers fairly directly. It's not a particularly safe language. It is, however, still very widely-used and at least is easier to support across multiple platforms than .NET.

Granted.

I find it odd that you specify sprite size so exactly, but whatever. I'm kind of curious why you mentioned vector graphics if it's meant to be a pixel-art style of game, though.

I don't know why I quote the sprite size, I should really find a new way of expressing the game's graphic element.
Vector graphics are required for the Graphical User Interface representation.

In this case, I would still recommending recording the MIDI first and distributing that way (in MP3 or whatever other compression scheme), so you can at least count on it sounding the same across platforms/computers, while still retaining the retro feel you're going for. That way, you can apply whatever soundfonts, effects, or whatever else you want, and play the MIDI on any hardware you want, then get that particular sound to all your users. I definitely understanding want to go for that retro appeal, but it's specifically distributing in MIDI that you don't have much of any reason to do.

Indeed, it was the plan to convert to OGG. I've come across MIDIs sounding like something from an unconditioned generator, at times. However, the advertisement is for MIDI because it would be a MIDI artist making the sounds, as opposed to MP3... In the case of a MIDI-sound use.
From what I'm told, OGGs are smaller than MP3s, although I haven't looked into the downfalls of that thus far.

You said you expected it to be profitable, which is what I was referring to.

I would deign Lucrative far superior to profitable, whilst profitable means not-inprofitable. But that's just me.

I apologize for being a little caustic, but it always comes off as a little strange and self-important when someone comes onto a forum and asks around for people to essentially perform most functions of creating a game he has ideas for, especially when they don't show what they themselves have done before, or are capable of. When you're soliciting help, that's basically the first thing you want to do.

I understand, I've responded likewise and worse to some people previous to now on the same matter. :P
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 07:59:57 am by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2011, 09:01:23 am »

Prior works mayhap, but none of any note, because none have ever been finished. I've always found myself with less-than examplatory team members, suffice to say.

Yeah, you just have to understand that you need to find some way to distinguish yourself from the plethora of other "idea people" who burst onto various forums asking for people who can do things for them. There are a ton of people like that, and not a lot of them are particularly good at, er, anything, so unless you can make yourself stand out somehow, you're not likely get team members much better than the ones you're apparently used to. :P

The only project that ever got off the ground was an early edition of MyWorld, and that's because I used a premade engine that was written in VB6. However, it only supported classic RPG elements, and I find VB6 very limiting. Or at least, previously I had done so. Turns out you *can* get Alpha Blending into VB6.

Thankfully, VB6 is dead now. Good riddance.

There is also Project Terra, which is an MMORPG,. I have a half-gig of planning on so far, but that is going to be a large project. I do not want to go into it with a half-assed team. So, Via Stella is a means to an end, in that it will financially support the server, before traffic-cash generatio, for it on release, and I'll have a tried-and-tested team with me, post-Via-Stella.

An MMORPG sounds like an extremely arduous undertaking when you haven't completed other projects yet. Building a fairly complex game is quite the task on its own, and an MMORPG has several more requisite skills and complications on top of that, plus you need to deal with users a lot more... I honestly wouldn't even think about MMORPGs until you have some finished projects under your belt and a good idea of your capabilities.

Vector graphics are required for the Graphical User Interface representation.

Oh, fair enough. I didn't know you were referring to different graphical elements there.

Indeed, it was the plan to convert to OGG. I've come across MIDIs sounding like something from an unconditioned generator, at times. However, the advertisement is for MIDI because it would be a MIDI artist making the sounds, as opposed to MP3... In the case of a MIDI-sound use.

The "opposed to MP3" here makes me scratch my head a bit. MIDI and MP3 are totally different things. Nobody masters music "in MP3", it's just a compression scheme. You really can't compare MIDI and MP3/vorbis at all unless you're talking about distribution. MIDI is a tool by which to describe/compose and play back music, and MP3 doesn't imply what tools are used for that at all.

From what I'm told, OGGs are smaller than MP3s, although I haven't looked into the downfalls of that thus far.

Ogg Vorbis should be fine, and the licensing is completely free, which is its main advantage. I have no idea what kind of licensing you need to use MP3 for a commercial project; it might be in a sort of grey area where nobody knows exactly what is legally necessary, but Ogg stuff should at least be safer. Regarding the relative quality, though... it depends. VBR LAME MP3 might actually be better than Vorbis, but I'm not sure... but again, either way is perfectly sufficient. Just make sure you use a decent encoder, because God will smite you if you distribute the sort of crappy 128kbps CBR MP3s we were all downloading off napster/gnutella years ago. Of course, this is something to worry about after you get a sound/music guy, probably.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2011, 09:51:03 am »

Yeah, you just have to understand that you need to find some way to distinguish yourself from the plethora of other "idea people" who burst onto various forums asking for people who can do things for them. There are a ton of people like that, and not a lot of them are particularly good at, er, anything, so unless you can make yourself stand out somehow, you're not likely get team members much better than the ones you're apparently used to. :P

Hindsight is a wonderfully aggravating human phenomenon.

An MMORPG sounds like an extremely arduous undertaking when you haven't completed other projects yet. Building a fairly complex game is quite the task on its own, and an MMORPG has several more requisite skills and complications on top of that, plus you need to deal with users a lot more... I honestly wouldn't even think about MMORPGs until you have some finished projects under your belt and a good idea of your capabilities.

Indeed. Whilst a single-player game is an A to B to C route, a multi-player game, in a ever-changing environment, is an Aa, Ab and Ac to Aa1, Aa2, Aa3, Ab1, Ab2... route. With backtracking and barrel rolls included.

Whilst I believe myself able to do this, obviously because it's my own dream project, I can imagine others not being so whole-hearted about giving as much time to someone else's grande idea.

Would be nice to find people like that, though.

People that are straight with me even moreso, rather than messing me around, basically lying to me about progress, or simply not logging on/blocking me for a while, and leaving me hanging by my pants on a spike over a crowd of people waiting to hear what's happening next with the game - making me look incompetent.[/rage-sadness]
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Via Stella [Hiring]
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2011, 10:43:08 am »

OP has been rehauled for a more professional appearance, and hopefully, far more informative.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2011, 02:32:14 pm »

New Op is looking pretty nice! 

I plan to attempt to sell the game through Steam, exposing it to millions of people. If the game was sold at a poultry cost of £4 ($6-ish) and caught the attention of 1/1000 - that's one person for every thousand people - of the 4,016,222 user count(Current statistic, 19/11/2011, 15:11 GMT+0) ... that's £16064.88.

Quick note though, 4 million is just the simultaneous users on steam.  The actual active users is closer to 30 million.  So thats like, even better right? :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2011, 03:14:52 pm »

Profit
I plan to attempt to sell the game through Steam, exposing it to millions of people. If the game was sold at a poultry cost of £4 ($6-ish) and caught the attention of 1/1000 - that's one person for every thousand people - of the 4,016,222 user count(Current statistic, 19/11/2011, 15:11 GMT+0) ... that's £16064.88.

If expansions of very-decent quality were released thereafter at at half the price, that's still a ton of profit.

16,000 euros, divided by a minimum 3 (probably falsely assuming you split the profits evenly), that's about £5333, divided by 12, that's about £444 / month - Extremely not worthy.

You better aim higher than this.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2011, 03:29:04 pm »

Profit

If expansions of very-decent quality were released thereafter at at half the price, that's still a ton of profit.

16,000 euros, divided by a minimum 3 (probably falsely assuming you split the profits evenly), that's about £5333, divided by 12, that's about £444 / month - Extremely not worthy.

You better aim higher than this.

That was of just mid-day Europe time - considering Levi's response on actual Steam users (30kk)?...

Also with Expansions on top of that...

Edit;
Also, you chopped that up across 12 months. It could take less than that.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 03:31:12 pm by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2011, 03:44:30 pm »

Less than a year? highly unlikely.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2011, 04:34:00 pm »

Towns has been in development for 5 months - not fully finished yet - but has already turned a profit.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 04:53:55 pm by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2011, 04:38:58 pm »

Listen, if you really really want to get into leading the creation of a game you have to have a good knowledge of all of the jobs. No one wants to jump onboard a game where the leader is the "idea's guy". Idea's are worth very little in the game industry, and you won't get far in making a game if you don't have prior experience.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2011, 05:06:01 pm »

I am not undermining the commercial potential of your game, on board it sounds fantastic.

What i am saying is that i think you are not fully aware what it takes to complete a game in your's scope, costs included.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2011, 05:23:39 pm »

Yeah, sorry about that. I'm just a little stressed at the moment. Just a tiny bit.

Feel like a badger in a cage, heh.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2011, 12:14:31 pm »

Don't forget steam takes a substantial royalty.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4