Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Via Stella [Hiring]  (Read 5156 times)

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: Require a Programmer/Pixel Artist/Musician!
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 11:23:06 pm »

What style of music are you looking for (chiptune, orchestral, acoustic, etc)? Or, alternatively, what kind of tone do you want the music to set? I would most likely be interested in contributing musically, if I have the hardware, but I don't want to volunteer before I know what I would be expected to do.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 07:31:30 am »

What style of music are you looking for (chiptune, orchestral, acoustic, etc)? Or, alternatively, what kind of tone do you want the music to set? I would most likely be interested in contributing musically, if I have the hardware, but I don't want to volunteer before I know what I would be expected to do.

That's a tough question, really. In actuality, we can make our own type, nonfiction music if you will, because of the nonfiction setting. However, I imagine it to be a sci-fi type of music.

It also depends on the scenery.
Opening Screen/game menu, epic instrumental.
In-game Clubs, Beated Synth.
Wandering around the space stations/planets, slow/echoey/mysterious synth.
Battle, hard-hitting Star Wars style, instrumental.
On your Ship, just the sound effects of the ship ("Bleep, sweeps and Creeps", with the droning of the engine and cooling unit, of course, in a smaller ship).

I also the fancy the idea of a selection of songs, crossed with a presenter, on a radio-like system for the player in flight.

But, all of the above are debatable, down to my lack of experience in such things.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 09:07:04 am »

Hmm, doesn't sound like anything I can do. I'm no good with atmospheric sci-fi music, or sound effects.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 04:58:53 pm »

Gah, I hate attempting natural poses. :|

Hmm, doesn't sound like anything I can do. I'm no good with atmospheric sci-fi music, or sound effects.

Shame :<.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:23:54 am by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Require a Programmer/Pixel Artist/Musician + Concept Artist!
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 06:14:16 pm »

I can't risk to cut down the profits share another slice, but I'd be appreciative of a anybody up for doing some Concept Art. :)

Concept Art would be of space ship design and environments mostly.

Architecture, space station exterior, weapons, armour/clothing and alien creatures/plants furthermore on a minor scale, but these are secondary.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Doohl

• Bay Watcher
  • [OMNIPOTENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 09:56:38 pm »

Basically, The Sims in space. I like it! It's a shame that while I am a programmer, I don't have much experience under my belt.

malloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 04:11:26 am »

I am a programmer with a few self taught years of experience, I would be willing to hear a bit more about this project.

Could be a fun little sideproject before I start my CS studies.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 06:08:12 am »

Apologies, RulerOfNothing has taken up the cause. I'll edit the OP now ._.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 10:14:11 am »

Well, I've found something beautifully enticing for a genre of music I'd like to have as an option in the game;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNc278W45ck&feature=related

Classical music meets club. It's actually pretty good. :D
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Require a Pixel Artist/Musician + Concept Artist!
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 01:02:00 pm »

IMO anything with violins or pianos is awesome, regardless of genre.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 01:11:21 pm »

They don't fit in everywhere. Especially if abused.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 01:52:00 pm »

Partially agree with this. Violins and other string instruments are essential for space opera type music. Pianos, not so much, although a skilled man can work around that and match it with the theme somehow.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 01:53:51 pm »

Actually, most of the stuff by Vanessa Mae is decent violin + Club. Damn you Copyright!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eCvTx5nDDA&feature=autoplay&list=AVGxdCwVVULXfKYxDup_SDcNK9dlHtvy4V&lf=list_related&playnext=2
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 01:54:44 pm »

Noooooo it's impossible to have too much of a good thing. *eats three packets of tasty, tasty licorice and throws up*

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 11:31:21 pm »

That's a tough question, really. In actuality, we can make our own type, nonfiction music if you will, because of the nonfiction setting. However, I imagine it to be a sci-fi type of music.

Am I the only one wondering what exactly "nonfiction music" is supposed to be?

Also: If you need to solicit people to program and create the visual and musical content for your game... what exactly are you contributing to the project? It sounds like you're not really bringing much to the table except "design" and trying to see who on the Internet will do the rest of the work for you. At the very least, you will need extensive design documents and plans to present to people, especially if design is all you're doing. Do not ask people to start programming, drawing, or composing for your game until you can tell them precisely what it is they're supposed to be programming, drawing, or composing. You do not seem to know any of this yet. My advice? Go back to the drawing board, write up some extensive design documents (plot, setting, game mechanics, aesthetic sense, anything that you need), then start asking around for help, because right now, you have nothing to show.

In my very honest opinion, coming to a message board with a vague idea about a game, and assuming the game is going to somehow turn out "very profitable" despite little description, presumably little experience, no team, no visible portfolio, nothing to vouch for you, and few relevant skills to bring to the table yourself... that really is the height of arrogance. You don't even seem very clear on what you want your own game to be, and don't have a handle on any of the technical aspects (why do you assume it should be C++ even though you aren't a programmer, or MIDI even though you clearly know little about audio?), so why are you assuming your own nebulous, wispy design ideas are so lucrative?

By the way: Why in God's name would you be considering MIDI in 2011? Speaking as a person who knows at least a little bit about digital audio, this is the worst possible option you could have thought of. The only reason to distribute music on MIDI is if you literally are putting it out via floppy disk or 56k modem or something. It's not 1994, and we're not running DOS. You can't even guarantee a MIDI will sound similar across different systems (unless you put a lot of work into that, of course). There is virtually no reason to even consider it, trust me.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:43:54 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4