Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Suitable Justice "weapons"  (Read 11697 times)

hudders

• Bay Watcher
  • Excuse me while I waffle
    • View Profile
    • Doodle Circus
Suitable Justice "weapons"
« on: November 14, 2011, 07:03:19 am »

So, I realise that arming my fortress guards is a necessity so that they don't inadvertently kill criminal Dwarves with their bare hands, and I realise that the recommended solution is to arm them with crossbows.

However, one of my Dwarves recently made an artifact bone mace. Would this be a suitable weapon for the captain of the guard? Looking at the wiki, I'm not entirely sure whether bone is better or worse than wood when used as a club.

This thread: Weapon research seems to skip over the idea of non-metal weaponry.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Suitable Justice "weapons"
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 07:19:11 am »

Artifact = x12 in quality, and therefore strength. A masterwork weapon is roughly 1/3 the strength of an artifact weapon of the same material.

Ideally, you'd want to give him either an adamantine warhammer (pretty much just a rubber hammer, due to its density) or a no quality wooden one.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 07:28:19 am »

Dwarves being killed by unarmed beatings are quite rare, and it's only happened to me a couple of times (and on one occasion the tantruming bastard deserved it).

On the other hand the time when I accidentally gave my CotG a bronze pick, now THAT was entertaining...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 07:29:06 am »

Training weapons, training weapons, training weapons.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 07:44:11 am »

Training weapons, training weapons, training weapons.

I think the term you're looking for is candy hammers and maces.

Or, if your a cruel dictator like me give them steel axes, full fill no mandates and watch hilarity ensue.

...or build a jail...
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 07:45:32 am »

Just give them a good dose of the cat. That'll solve any discipline problems.

Hmmmm...How to mod a cat o' nine tails into the game....
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 07:51:00 am »

Artifact = x12 in quality, and therefore strength.
Untrue.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 08:11:49 am »

Not original, but I like featherwood crossbows because they work on genuine threats without being excessively harsh on petty criminals (actually safer than training weapons - no hits with a low contact area).

mathi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 08:49:19 am »

I gave my captain a Exceptional Candy Mace. It's the same guy as the Chief Medical Dwarf, and he seems to enjoy keeping himself busy! Doesn't stop until his victim is all yellow and brown.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 11:12:16 am »

In my experience, even a candy mace can be lethal in the hands of a competant dwarf. An artifact bone mace is much more likely to score a kill - I'd personally avoid giving a CotG any weapon above base quality, no matter the material.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 11:20:17 am »

Artifact = x12 in quality, and therefore strength. A masterwork weapon is roughly 1/3 the strength of an artifact weapon of the same material.

Ideally, you'd want to give him either an adamantine warhammer (pretty much just a rubber hammer, due to its density) or a no quality wooden one.
Quality is NOT the same as strength.
Artifacts' quality modifier allows them to be worth more than other items.  The only thing artifact quality does combat-wise is increase hit/block modifiers.  Artifacts get a 3x modifier (as opposed to a 2x modifier for masterworks, and a 1x modifier for everything else).

As for arming the sherrif/CotG, I never understood why people give him anything at all.  Adamantine may weigh as much as paper, but it is harder than diamond and suffers no deformation.  I just appoint a weak dorf, leave them unarmed, and let them punch 'criminals.'

hudders

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Doodle Circus
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 11:30:34 am »

As for arming the sherrif/CotG, I never understood why people give him anything at all.  Adamantine may weigh as much as paper, but it is harder than diamond and suffers no deformation.  I just appoint a weak dorf, leave them unarmed, and let them punch 'criminals.'

The wiki says:

It is important to equip dwarves with weapons as an unarmed guarddwarf can easily kill a peasant by suffocating him.

Perhaps this page needs updating if this isn't the case?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 11:32:07 am »

I don't see why everyone is so down on jailing dwarves.  Sure, it takes up a lot of space and resources, and imprisonment can have a much more drawn-out impact on morale, and...
Oh, right.

I usually end up appointing my best miner to the position of captain of the guard, because of some weird roleplaying stuff I do, which is why I now always build a jail.  Delivering justice with a *steel pickaxe*, though hilarious to watch, is detrimental to the overall strength of a fortress.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

hudders

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Doodle Circus
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 11:48:47 am »

If you have a jail, will the guards never use their weapons? Are beatings only ever delivered in the absence of alternative forms of punishment?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 12:06:37 pm »

Some of my dwarves have both jail and beating appointed. I wonder what will be first. As for unarmed guards, bare fists seem more deadly than any training weapon to me, never saw them going Gomer Simpson style though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science
Pages: [1] 2 3