Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: A tiny Skyrim thread. The physics of Giants and Dragons.  (Read 11133 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A tiny Skyrim thread. The physics of Giants and Dragons.
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 01:19:11 pm »

I believe there is no wind resistance in this game, but it is a possibility, but we can just chalk it to error margin.
Most modern physics engines take into account some measure of drag. Everything looks extremely silly without it (though often silly with it, as it's incredibly overdone in many engines). It's easy to tell by watching thrown objects rotate - if the rotation slows before hitting the ground, there's drag. The problem is that the numbers are probably fudged to "look right" so there's no real telling how much the character's body has without access to the object definition, and if it's fudged in the wrong direction you could be looking at feather vs. anvil differences in density.

If this drag creates some kind of terminal velocity effect, I suppose it could be measured by jumping off from several heights and counting the seconds (and see if acceleration stopped at some point). This would require the construction kit (or a way to determine absolute height in-game... console commands?) though, and a proper conversion of units.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 03:39:57 pm »

The imperials had a space program.  They've been on the moons.  (The altmer did as well, Vivec's also messed around there too)
That icarian flight dude? I could totally see the actual reason for that guy's research being to escape atmosphere, with funding supplied by either or both sides. Prototype spell obviously needed some work, but...

The journal entry was obviously a red herring, in that case. Throw the foreign powers off the track et al.

Can only imagine what would happen if a dude hopped up on icarian flight talked a giant into giving 'em some lift. Jump right at the apex of the giant's swing, whee~

In other news, the first skyrim expansion is obviously going to detail the hidden war between the various power's moon bases. I wander if water breathing would be enough for vacuum...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 03:44:43 pm »

no clearly the first dlc addon will be the entire the lusty argonian maid compilation from volume 1 act 1 to volume 20 act 20.
and the original uncut barenziah and her efforts with the khajit (this is daggerfall old!)
that said, it's going to be either a series of islands up north norther.
or a series of underground caves, or dwarven ruins.
or maybe spells.
more spells.
or more encounters.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

gamefreak1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 03:53:46 pm »

Nope it will be horse armor  :)
Is my avatar sexy?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 09:18:36 am »

It will be saddlebags.

For Lydia.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 09:23:20 am »

the fact that it might be possible makes me sad.
but the hope never dies.
until it dies.
then we're screwed.
maybe they'll add thalmor dominion relative quests.
DESTROY THE THALMOR DOMINION, DESTROY THE ELF. RULE THE WORLD.
For you are Dovahkin, you kill dragons like breakfast, ruling the world should be easy!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 09:46:37 am »

The imperials had a space program.  They've been on the moons.  (The altmer did as well, Vivec's also messed around there too)

I dunno man, space is a scary place when the stars are literally holes in the night sky and the heavens are filled with demigod beings that may or may not hate your guts for being comprised of the corpses of their brethren.

TES lore is so fucked up.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 10:00:11 am »

Hey, if the current races are made of demigod corpse, it makes total sense to try to go up there and harvest some more. Combat slave race creation, baby. Or some kind of huge self-replicating slime-thing that lives off sunlight whose flesh is of milk and honey, solving all food problems forever~

Etc, etc. I could totally see the more power hungry folks going up there for stuff like that.

And holes in space? Perfect place to throw the more annoying people :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 10:29:31 am »

Yeah DLC for taking down the Aldmeri dominion would be nice indeed.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 10:32:29 am »

I dunno man, space is a scary place when the stars are literally holes in the night sky and the heavens are filled with demigod beings that may or may not hate your guts for being comprised of the corpses of their brethren.

TES lore is so fucked up.

Even more messed up is Yagrum Bagarn left space.  Those outer realms he was in?  They're past aetherius.

The entirety of creation is pretty much Mundus at the center, oblivion surrounding it, and aetherius surrounding that.  Past aetherius is void.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 10:53:40 am »

Past aetherius is void.
Well, we don't really know for sure. Only Dwarves have had the balls to go out that far.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2011, 11:00:34 am »

You know all I see when I see that Giant smashing jump thingy is those Click Frogs, you know you press down on their "Bums" and they jump...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 02:40:03 pm »

Anyone care to crunch the numbers on snow bear physics?
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 02:44:50 pm »

Anyone care to crunch the numbers on snow bear physics?

Obviously the bear is releasing gas to perform attitude adjustments as it spirals.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 02:50:44 pm »

what your forgetting, is the person is literally bouncing off teh ground and going that high.

the ground absorbs alot of that force...

figure that in.

obviously 20,000 pounds of force would literally smash a person into a ground and flatten them... i dont want to know what 100,000 would do.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4