Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: A tiny Skyrim thread. The physics of Giants and Dragons.  (Read 11126 times)

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
A tiny Skyrim thread. The physics of Giants and Dragons.
« on: November 14, 2011, 03:52:43 am »

So, as I watch men and bears and various other beasties go flying off into the distance as they're launched by my giant friends,  I often wonder -
how much force would that actually take to do that?   Just how strong are these giants anyhow?
Lets find out!

note~ this is just for fun.  Numbers and actual science may be a bit skewed,  so feel free to make any corrections,  or take this and run with it as far as you'd like.

If I remember correctly from my ancient physics class once upon a time,  Force = Mass times Acceleration

lets say an average person in Skyrim weighs around 99 KG  (..thats about 200-ish lbs)
mass times gravity -  99KG *  9.8 (gravity on an earth-type planet) = 970N!    woo!
alright
force = 970N * acceleration!
time to find acceleration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW-SPwhhgaM&feature=related
as you see here  (around :53)   the test subject appears to be launching into orbit at quite a speed..  now by looking at the ground...  i'm going to guess that he's traveling at around 60-70MPH   (96KPH)

so...
force =  970N * 96KPH
93,120 N
converted back into lbs..
20,934 lbs of force

So, by a very very rough, tired, half-assed science estimate..  the giants in Skyrim can exert at 'least' 20,934 lbs of force with every hit.

That was fun.  :)

Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: A tiny Skyrim thread. The physics of Giants and Dragons.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 06:46:58 am »

While I am impressed by your efforts, shouldn't this be in the skyrim thread?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 06:55:52 am »

While I am impressed by your efforts, shouldn't this be in the skyrim thread?

I believe the effort alone merits the occasion! All hail newton! All hail giants!
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 08:01:29 am »

Your units don't hold up though.
Fnet = m*a
Fnet = Fgiant - Fg, taking up as the positive force direction and assuming all force exerted by the giant is in the up direction
 Fgiant - Fg = m*a
 Fgiant = m*(a+g), in other words, the giant has to overcome gravity and add some acceleration to that still.

Taking your estimate for the eventual velocity (96 KmpH) and assuming that the giant accelerates you to that velocity in 0.1 seconds, we get:
96 KmpH = 26.7 m/s
a = v/t = 267 m/s2
 Fgiant = m*277
m = 99 kg
 Fgiant =  26,400 N and I'm not familiar with the imperial units so you'll have to do the conversion yourself. However, that is enough force to accelerate a Fiat Panda with aproximately 2.5 m/s2.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 08:04:08 am by Virex »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 08:50:54 am »

99kg is quite fat, the average person weighs closer to 80kg. I guess 99 could work for an armoured person, though.

Another problem is that 96km/h is nowhere near escape velocity. This means that if it really is enough to launch a person into orbit the gravity in Skyrim is much lower than 1G.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 10:44:30 am »

Watch the video, he doesn't quite go into orbit.

Besides, the 99 kg may even be a bit low, considering the amount of loot and stuff our spunky protagonist commonly carries in TES game.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 10:47:13 am »

Well 99 kg seems fine as a average american weight : P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 10:55:14 am »

Call our control subject a mage with an overloaded backpack.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 11:00:19 am »

10 stone for the human, plus 300lb of loot, weapons and armour makes 240kg

240 * 277 = 66480N

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 11:03:13 am »

At first, I thought to myself: "That's a giant? It's so... normal sized."

Then I saw it moving closer. "Ohshitohshitohshit"

My depth perception in YouTube videos is off, apparently.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 11:05:15 am »

Actual answer to how much force is "Magic." As noted somewhere, the giant hit down, i.e. that was a ricochet. There's absolutely no way, insofar as I know*, for something to be hit like that and bounce -- the player should have been turned into a fine slush spread over a notable portion of the countryside if that hit was governed by anything approaching real-world physical laws, not flying into the air.

Thus magic -- something innate to giants (or their clubs) keeps things hit by them from completely losing structural integrity on impact and somehow keeps all the energy imparted from discharging into the ground. Possibly some kind of emergent arcane property that comes into existence when any particular being reaches a sufficient level of strength.

In any case, all those number thus far would be skewed by assuming the force is being exerted upwards. It's not. There's also air resistance to consider, which would definitely be notable on something the size of a human body. That'd mean all those numbers are (probably considerably) low :P

* Unless the materials in Skyrimland are considerably different than in reality -- everything made out of that superball rubber, maybe, or something roughly equivalent.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 11:59:27 am »

Actual answer to how much force is "Magic." As noted somewhere, the giant hit down, i.e. that was a ricochet. There's absolutely no way, insofar as I know*, for something to be hit like that and bounce -- the player should have been turned into a fine slush spread over a notable portion of the countryside if that hit was governed by anything approaching real-world physical laws, not flying into the air.

Thus magic -- something innate to giants (or their clubs) keeps things hit by them from completely losing structural integrity on impact and somehow keeps all the energy imparted from discharging into the ground. Possibly some kind of emergent arcane property that comes into existence when any particular being reaches a sufficient level of strength.

In any case, all those number thus far would be skewed by assuming the force is being exerted upwards. It's not. There's also air resistance to consider, which would definitely be notable on something the size of a human body. That'd mean all those numbers are (probably considerably) low :P

* Unless the materials in Skyrimland are considerably different than in reality -- everything made out of that superball rubber, maybe, or something roughly equivalent.

Giants have access to trampoline magic, obviously.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 12:07:32 pm »

Giants have access to trampoline magic, obviously.

+1 internet

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 02:39:55 pm »

True, but assuming all the force is exerted upward gives a lower bound to the giant's punching power. You're quite right that neglecting trampoline losses and air resistance means that the actual giant's strength is going to be a lot higher than what's been calculated.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 01:13:44 am »

You know, I bet by looking at the stats of giants with the construction pack, you'd be able to make your character do the same thing.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress
Pages: [1] 2 3 4