Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breeding  (Read 488 times)

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Breeding
« on: November 14, 2011, 03:25:40 am »

So i'm partially in the midst of a dwarf game and I had a few questions.

1) Is the vanilla baby cap something I need to change? I currently have 70 dwarfs and 7 children. How can I change it so that I can have unlimited kids?

2) I got my countess to marry a hunter. They had a child. When this child grows up will he be a noble? If the mom dies can he claim her position? If I ever get a king can I do the same thing with his kids.

3) Is their a marriage cap every year? I'm in the 10th year of the fortress and everyone has a lover but I've only had two marriages.

4) Is it actually feasible to run a fortress for 200 years? Will the kids grow up and marry people?

Thanks for the support!
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 03:52:50 am »

1: in vanilla, you can pretty much have as many children as adults

2: I dont know

3: No, but the dorfs need to like eachther and meet regularly.. in such a small group of normal people you wouldnt expect dozens of mariages a year right? Also, they stay married, so an unmarried person will have a progressively smaller chance of even spotting another nmarried person. Of the opposite gender would be a bonus

4: Possible, probably. I dont think inbreeding has been installed so no worries there. There's someone who was running a fort 90 years now, so, 200 should be possible
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 04:07:32 am »

1. Don't change it. It's great just where it is - you can have as many kids around as you want, til they're driving you mad and tempting you to use an atom-smasher.

2. I don't know... Nobles seem to be broken here and there, so that's an iffy one I wouldn't know the answer to.

3. I've had multiple marriages in one year (3 actually), so I'd say that if there is a limit, you haven't hit it yet.

4. Not only feasible, but admirable. There's been at least one person who got their fort past year 200 - an absolutely incredible feat. They got featured in the Hall of Legends: FlareChannel. If you get it there, post about it, please! :D And yes, they'll have grandkids, great grandkids, etc.

So i'm partially in the midst of a dwarf game and I had a few questions.

1) Is the vanilla baby cap something I need to change? I currently have 70 dwarfs and 7 children. How can I change it so that I can have unlimited kids?

2) I got my countess to marry a hunter. They had a child. When this child grows up will he be a noble? If the mom dies can he claim her position? If I ever get a king can I do the same thing with his kids.

3) Is their a marriage cap every year? I'm in the 10th year of the fortress and everyone has a lover but I've only had two marriages.

4) Is it actually feasible to run a fortress for 200 years? Will the kids grow up and marry people?

Thanks for the support!

Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 08:18:26 am »

27 dwarves, five marriages in 5 minutes...and...centaurs killed them shortly after...and killed a baby.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 02:31:23 pm »

If you haven't toyed with the settings at all, the baby/child cap is set at 100 young, or 1000% of your adult population. With 70 adults, you could have up to 100 babies, so you're not anywhere near the cap. The relevant setting is in dwarf fortress/data/init/d_init.txt, the BABY_CHILD_CAP:x:y setting, where x is the absolute number of young while y is the number of young as a percentage of your adult population.

Nobles' children aren't nobles.

There is no marriage cap. To encourage marriage, arrange for unmarried dwarves to be nearby each other often. The easiest way to do this is typically to leave them idle with a small meeting area or hall.

Running a 200-year fort is doable, but I wouldn't call it feasible...
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!