Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bringing Urist McMiner back to work  (Read 1305 times)

senamic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Bringing Urist McMiner back to work
« on: November 14, 2011, 03:24:35 am »

Okay chaps, for the past year or so my best miner/mechanic has been stuck in bed with the following injuries:

Skull, bone (needs setting, smashed appart)
Right Upper arm, bone (Compound Fracture, smashed apart)
Right Shoulder, muscle (Compound Fracture, cut apart)
Right Shoulder, bone (needs setting, smashed apart)
Lower spine, bone (Compound Fracture, smashed apart)
Lower Spine, nervous tissue (Compound Fracture, cut apart)
Left lower leg, bone (needs setting, smashed apart)
Right lower leg, bone (needs setting, smashed apart)

He is ecstatic at the service he gets (food and water from cavern well) and likes being able to "rest and recuperate". However, I am starting to get a little annoyed with seeing him lying there and flash red constantly, is he going to be able to get back to work? I have a hospital sort of set up, but this embark seems to lack the ingredients for plaster casts... What can I do from here? Advice welcome.
To put in perspective, he was brought to rest in bed by my manager on 14th Opal, 123, and only got evaluated by my CMD on 13th Malachite, 124.

Edit: His only negative trait whatsoever is that he is "slow to heal". Sod.

dyllionaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing Urist McMiner back to work
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 04:09:13 am »

You can make wooden splints from logs at a Carpenter's workshop that do exactly the same job as plaster casts, as far as I know. Make sure you have someone with the Setting Bones labour turned on, preferably a dedicated doctor. As well, you probably need to build a Traction Bench at a Mechanics shop, which requires chain, a mechanism, and a table to construct. Place it beside the Dwarf in question, and all should be good as long as you have built at least one splint.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 04:22:56 am »

I'm concerned about that spinal cord injury. Even if you get his legs set, I'm not sure if he'll be able to walk.

How did he get injured?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 04:25:21 am »

He's going to die from infection before you'll be able to salvage him into a quivering pick-wielding head on stilts.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

senamic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 04:35:14 am »

You can make wooden splints from logs at a Carpenter's workshop that do exactly the same job as plaster casts, as far as I know. Make sure you have someone with the Setting Bones labour turned on, preferably a dedicated doctor. As well, you probably need to build a Traction Bench at a Mechanics shop, which requires chain, a mechanism, and a table to construct. Place it beside the Dwarf in question, and all should be good as long as you have built at least one splint.

Thanks, I will look into it. I have 20 splints in my hospital, but my medical staff refuse to move him from his room to the hospital...

I'm concerned about that spinal cord injury. Even if you get his legs set, I'm not sure if he'll be able to walk.

How did he get injured?

The usual (for me). Designating channels, made the foolish mistake of designating 2 blocks without a support, dug the first, fell and the second collapsed. Killed a butcher about 7 squares away and my miner was brought in wounded.

Spinal cord injuries lead to paralysis in DF? Makes sense, but I didn't know... Fun...

He's going to die from infection before you'll be able to salvage him into a quivering pick-wielding head on stilts.

The odd thing is, he isn't infected yet... Are you saying he will be infected in surgery, or that he will just get infected over time?

Additionally, all this may be for naught, as I have just had two forgotten beasts wander into my caverns. One is a hawk with noxious fumes and one is a slug with deadly dust... I guess this is what I get for going for candy.

dyllionaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 05:40:43 am »

Are you sure you have a designated hospital with at least one free table, bed, and traction bench? I try to keep all three touching because my Dwarves don't like being moved more than 1 tile when resting. Make sure you're stocked up on soap, have access to non-stagnant water, and have made your prayers so as to have the best chance of staving off infection. If he's stuck in his room, you could try removing the bed underneath him. Make sure you have some Dwarves with the 'Recover Wounded' labor activated.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 06:44:27 pm »

This.

The spinal injury means he won't be needing a crutch, he is permanently crippled. Consider yourself lucky he isn't out of bed and spamming with with "can't recover item, too injured".  Either put him out of his misery or consider him a ward of the fort.

More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 06:55:45 pm »

I'm pretty sure that the lower spine injury only makes his lower body paralyzed. There seems to be damage to his right hand as well but the left seems to work.

I think it's quite possible to recover this guy and get them to work again, but they'll be using a crutch for the rest of their life and won't work as fast as they used to, what with having to learn to use a crutch.

Get some extra hands to work on wound dressing and suturing and hope you got some surgeon, I think that nervous tissue damage on the lower spine needs an operation anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 06:56:00 pm »

I don't think he's going to be able to work again, what with the spinal injury.

Hey, could be worse, why not make him your mayor or something?

Pawns4Mons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 07:02:04 pm »

The Million Dorfbuck man... We can rebuild him.. we have the technology.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 07:06:57 pm »

Don't listen to those naysayers! You'll get UristMcHorriblymangled to work again, it will just take considerable amounts of effort, time, and resources! He can pull through!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 07:09:54 pm »

Don't listen to those naysayers! You'll get UristMcHorriblymangled to work again, it will just take considerable amounts of effort, time, and resources! He can pull through!

We'll need adamantine thread, duct tape, 4 steel mechanisms, 20 steel bars, 10 pick heads and a whole lot of booze.

RoboDwarf

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 07:42:40 pm »

We'll need adamantine thread, duct tape, 4 steel mechanisms, 20 steel bars, 10 pick heads and a whole lot of booze.

RoboDwarf

we have the technology!
we can reconstruct him
the 20 million urists dwarf
this is a dwarf, all craftdwarfship is of highest quality. It is sutured with adamantine, it menaces with spikes of *iron pickaxe*, iron pickaxe, -iron pickaxe-, and !!XX<<XXiron pickaxeXX>>XX!!. It menaces with spikes of beard, booze, and Urist MCsurgeon nails. on the dwarf there is an image, on the image there is a cat, a dwarf, and a dwarf, the cat is in fetal position, the dwarf is in fetal position, the dwarf is throwing a tantrum, it menaces with spikes of *steel mechanisms* and -steel mechanisms-, and it is decorated with hanging rings of Urist Surgeon nails, Urist Surgeon left eye, Urist Surgeon left teeth, XXsteel mechanismsXX and      *<<steel mechanisms>>* there is an image of forgotten beast soap, the image relates to the soap making of forgotten beast soap

now, onto the things, you have to find a way to get that dorf into the hospital, I think that will give the medidwarfs a chance to test their macabre experiments, heal him, or both!
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 07:45:13 pm »

Try deconstructing his bed. I can't remember if that's made bedridden dwarves of mine go into the hospital or not, but it works. And, when in doubt, just do another, smaller, cavein to wound him slightly in case its some glitch. But with his current wounds, won't take much to kill him...

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 07:51:23 pm »

You could mod nervous tissue so it heals really slowly, that'll get him walking eventually, assuming he doesn't die to one thing or another.
Pages: [1] 2