Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Why dig deep?  (Read 6511 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Why dig deep?
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2011, 09:46:18 am »

i can only say well....

i survived 6 sieges now with nothing but glass, silver and copper weapons and traps (lots of traps)

now my workers are basically sitting idle, since i dont want to expand my militia, afraid they get attached to something. Having your strongest axedorf getting attached to a copper axe and a copper shield is very tough if you're going to get at least iron ones soon (is there a way to turn that off?)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2011, 10:53:51 am »

Get him to drop the weapons and then atomsmash/magma the weapons - I think he won't stay loyal to an axe that ceases to exist.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2011, 12:42:11 pm »

nothing hat can be edited?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2011, 04:17:03 pm »

Having your strongest axedorf getting attached to a copper axe and a copper shield is very tough if you're going to get at least iron ones soon (is there a way to turn that off?)
Copper shields are the best you can make at the moment. Heavy copper has a better chance of stoving a skull in than light leather (which can happen). I,m not too sure how copper shields and dragonfire will interact in the next version, or whether density will be less of a god-stat for blunt weapons, or whether attacks will become capable of going through shields the way they can go through armour, but for now copper is a great shield material.

Attachment can be overcome by forcing the dwarf to drop that particular piece of equipment. The best way, I think, is to order them to equip a specific shield and then melt down the one they're attached to. Forbidding might also work. I've seen forbidden items in dwarves' equipment screens (usually single bolts), but I'm not 100% sure if they were forbidden when claimed or if they became forbidden at some point and weren't removed. The latter is far more likely.

Named weapons and shields are far more annoying because, while they can be destroyed, they will forever haunt your stocks and artifacts screens.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2011, 04:31:40 pm »

Too bad we can't make silver shields. They'd be awesome.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2011, 04:50:24 pm »

[...]Infection is (supposedly) not violent.
...though it may well be virulent. ;)

Hey, Garath!  you ninjaed me!  Which I don't mind.  It just means that you think the same as I do.  Be afraid.  Be very afraid!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:55:12 pm by Starver »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2011, 04:54:05 pm »

I only dig deep to reach magma. Unless I have coal. Having coal is such a rarity that I actually intend to use it all before switching to alternative fuel sources.

Necro's been muted for a week :P

Thank god for that. Reading "MAGMAAA" every other two posts became quite aggravating.

Actually, he got muted for making rape jokes.

Uh, yes, that's true, I didn't find them funny at all.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shame it isn't 910.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:55:55 pm by peskyninja »
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2011, 05:02:09 pm »

Shouldn't it be "Brace Yourself"?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2011, 05:15:36 pm »

Probably. But let's just pretend that's how it's supposed be. It keeps more of the funny intact that way.
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2011, 08:58:09 pm »

magma to kill the tree hugging elves

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2011, 09:04:18 pm »

magma to kill the tree hugging elves

Necro? Is that you?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2011, 09:05:02 pm »

It isn't in the right format for Necro.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2011, 09:58:13 pm »

With immortality, there are lots of different types, some of which are much more useful than others, such as the type where you can be killed but come back to life somewhere else.
(And invulnerable does not necessarily include immortal. You could be the inverse of an elf and be immune to violence while still gradually aging your way towards death.)

I kind of want elves to send tree-monsters to attack us. The source of wood would be quite nice.

While I do like Magma, I do kind of feel like people are spamming it too much. Magma is lovely, but talking about it all the time is like eating a whole tub of ice cream in one sitting.
Soaplent green is goblins!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2011, 11:01:08 pm »

I kind of want elves to send tree-monsters to attack us. The source of wood would be quite nice.
I can see an army of axedwarves killing Ents, who, in turn, drop piles of random surface-wood logs on death.

Magma is lovely, but talking about it all the time is like eating a whole tub of ice cream in one sitting.
Oh, oh, ouch, dammit... gaaahhhh, the mental picture... It gives me brain-freeze just thinking about it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:04:13 pm by UristMcHuman »

Zorae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2011, 11:11:34 pm »

Well that's a matter of perspective, I would think. There are many people out there who would love nothing more than to be an elf(I would be lying if I said Legolas wasn't badass).

Oh god no, Legolas comes close (later on when he becomes friends with Gimli)... But he's still an elf:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can't help but despise him.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5