Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Why dig deep?  (Read 6512 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Why dig deep?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 07:57:00 pm »

Well that's a matter of perspective, I would think. There are many people out there who would love nothing more than to be an elf(I would be lying if I said Legolas wasn't badass).

He wasn't a DF elf though. And his trees killed people.

Did I mention they killed people?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2011, 08:00:46 pm »

Well, DF elves have proven they can be awesome... When raised by dwarves.

The whole immortality thing is a bit of a boon too I would guess.

Immortal? Urist McMilitiaCaptain would like to have a word with you...
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Random_Physics_Nerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2011, 08:08:35 pm »

I meant immortal if not killed.
Take two magma and call me in the morning.
I was thinking about pumping magma up his legs and having a floodgate in his crotch. What could be more dorfy than pissing magma upon your enemies?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2011, 08:09:39 pm »

Kinda defeats the purpose of being immortal then.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2011, 08:11:05 pm »

On the issue of creature Immortality, I mod most of my races to have definitive ages, because if not the Lifetime to Reproduction dis-balance pisses me off...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Random_Physics_Nerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2011, 08:28:41 pm »

Well, if you can manage to not wind up wth an axe/sword/bolt lodged in you somewhere important, you can go on living forever.

Wait... I think elves may be dorfier than we originally thought. Literally, the only way they can die is violently.
I was thinking about pumping magma up his legs and having a floodgate in his crotch. What could be more dorfy than pissing magma upon your enemies?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 08:29:35 pm »

Starvation is not violent. Thirst is not violent.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 08:32:16 pm »

Drowning is not violent. Infection is (supposedly) not violent.

Random_Physics_Nerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2011, 08:46:20 pm »

Points taken. Any meager amount of dorfiness I attributed to elves has been revoked.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:48:51 pm by Random_Physics_Nerd »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 09:02:13 pm »

Dying of thirst or hunger because you built the wall from the wrong side is a very dwarfy way to die.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2011, 09:02:45 pm »

In the long run, does it really even matter what race someone is a part of?

I've probably mentioned this before, but I just want you all to remember that, to me, all beings have an equal level of importance to their respective worlds, that level of importance being just under my own.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2011, 12:54:55 am »

Immortality means you never will die from natural causes (old age basically), the word I think people are thinking of is 'invincibility' which means you cannot be killed.

An immortal creature will live forever unless its killed (or dies from an accident or runs out of food or whatever), it will never die of old age.  An invincible creature is impervious to all attack and cannot die (unless hit by a projectile fluffy wambler).

As for magma.. I never touch the stuff for fuel anymore.  To me its one more 'easy mode' thing these days (by which I mean its available on every map, its easy to find, its easy to use, and gives you unlimited fuel).  Using magma for traps is something I don't personally bother with either but at least weaponizing it requires some skill and ingenuity, that I can respect.

As for the OP; digging down (as has been stated) gives you access (often) to more metal, gems, the caverns (which have interesting monsters and other features in them), flux stone, magma, and ultimately..

(spoilers)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Whether these things are things you want or not is up to you.  Depending on your mods or gameplay settings the surface world can be as much or more dangerous than anything you'll find below (short of the bit spoilerspaced above), for example using mods such as Fortress Defense will add literally hundreds of enemies to come after you.

As for dangers.. That is sort of what this game is about (unless you are using it to make megaprojects).  Coming up with more challenges is the way a lot of people play, and eventually the tried and true standard of "Build walls and fortifications and drawbridges and have crossbow dwarves pepper the enemies with bolts until they die or leave" gets dull (to many of us). 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 12:56:28 am by Mickey Blue »

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 03:16:19 am »

I meant immortal if not killed.

(I'm so sorry, it's 2 AM and this was the perfect set-up for Shirou.)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 08:12:20 am »

its virulent

Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2011, 09:24:21 am »

Why dig deep? The dorfiness of it. You know why.

Sure, you can avoid magma as an unlimited fuel source - until you realize that you likely need wood for stuff. (Never had an iron bed, glass blocks enjoy pearlash which enjoys potash which enjoys ash, and I am fairly certain pig iron would like some tree byproduct. Then you realize that you need more wood than your embark could ever supply, (esp. if you turned off caverns.)

To be serious, though - there isn't a need to dig deep. You can, of course, stay just a few levels low and be a well-running fort - I have had many. You can turn off invaders and build a 100z statue. You can do nothing spectacular and we would not know. Nor would we care. (Really. The game is hard. Dying to a flood when you knew not to dig there is common.) You do not need candy or Formula910 or even iron. In fact, a terrible set of three sieges while you have nothing but tin could be fun. But the point is that you do not need to dig deep.

Not everyone feels the call of [I claim I cannot do it as well, so I do not do it normally. But someone seems missing and shouldn't mind if I...

MMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAA

...this thread. That actually felt good.]

That is not a requirement. (Still, that felt good.)

Right, shallow fortress. Fine. Totally fine. You will forgive me, but I have a very large hole I need to tend to. Be well in your travels and your digging.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5