Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Why dig deep?  (Read 6533 times)

Owly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why dig deep?
« on: November 13, 2011, 06:28:10 pm »

I've played a few fortresses now, and it seems like I can make a perfectly functional fortress without digging more than 1-3 layers down. It seems like wood can be used instead of metal for most things. For instance, some crossbowdwarves behind fortifications seem to be better than the (often slaughtered) squads of hammerdwarves for dealing with most threats. The two fortresses in which I did dig deep ended because of a FB and the HFS. So why dig deep?
!!Emergency Irrigation!!

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: Why dig deep?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 06:30:40 pm »

Once you overcome the various challenges inherent in running just about any fort (food/alcohol production, defending against sieges, etc.), survival becomes fairly simple. The deeper you dig, the more challenging the game becomes, as you've already observed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 06:50:49 pm by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Bazzak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 06:33:44 pm »

Sure, it is not necessary to dig deep, but without it you're missing a lot.

First things first, magma. Everyone loves it. If not, you're an elf. Horrible.

Caverns itself contains loads of fun and !!FUN!!

There are metals in the depths aswell.

Not to forget candy.

And last, but not least, the circus.

As I said earlier, you don't have to. I personally find staying in the surface for too long extremely boring.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 06:43:00 pm »

Digging deeper only really accomplishes a few things:

1. More metals (not any better metals, normally ['till candy]). My industrious forts normally chew through the first few layers of metal eventually.

2. Caverns (exotic animals for traps, higher-value food/skins, zoos)

3. If you don't have a volcano, then you'll have to dig deep to get... err... I lost my train of thought. Perhaps necro can fix this.

4. You can visit the underground circus, go get some sweet sweet candy, meet the clowns...
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 06:48:57 pm »

Digging deeper only really accomplishes a few things:

1. More metals (not any better metals, normally ['till candy]). My industrious forts normally chew through the first few layers of metal eventually.

2. Caverns (exotic animals for traps, higher-value food/skins, zoos)

3. If you don't have a volcano, then you'll have to dig deep to get... err... I lost my train of thought. Perhaps necro can fix this.

4. You can visit the underground circus, go get some sweet sweet candy, meet the clowns...

5. Turn HFS into a villa :P

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 06:52:52 pm »

Necro's been muted for a week :P
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 06:56:00 pm »

I normally never dig deep either. I've only breached the caverns and found the magma sea on my current fortress, and that was by accident. But since dealing with the various elements of the depths, I can definitely see the benefits it provides:

The most obvious, magma. Relying charcoal forever on anything but a heavily forested embark is extremely cumbersome, and even then, you might not want your dwarves running out into the open all the time to harvest it. And coke is never guaranteed.

Extra sources of wood. You can never have enough lumber.

Training/hunting grounds.

Access to cave spider silk. One less thing to worry about when a dwarf goes into a mood.

New ores and minerals. That's always a plus.

Access to water. If, like me, you suck at building wells, this is absolutely wonderful to have.

Candy is nice to have.

Once the caverns are breached, you can have animals graze indoors, meaning they won't be used as practice targets for invading forces.

So yeah, it's not necessary to dig deep, but it's not all that bad either.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 06:56:53 pm »

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

Spoiler: I HOPE NECRO SEE THIS (click to show/hide)

Also, why NOT dig down.

You said HFS and FB's. I don't see the problem :-*
Except that time where I made antmen spawn hundreds of chittering babies.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 07:01:23 pm »

If you can enjoy playing with a surface fort instead of digging deep, that's your play style. Me, I hardly ever go below the first cavern layer except to excavate marble for my steel industries. Other people go cruising for that sticky red stuff, or all the way to the circus to see the clowns. Different strokes for different folks, and all.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 07:02:48 pm »

If you can enjoy playing with a surface fort instead of digging deep, that's your play style. Me, I hardly ever go below the first cavern layer except to excavate marble for my steel industries. Other people go cruising for that sticky red stuff, or all the way to the circus to see the clowns. Different strokes for different folks, and all.

Surface forts? Oh that's an exception I accept.

They are the BOUSE.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 07:07:18 pm »

I only dig deep to reach magma. Unless I have coal. Having coal is such a rarity that I actually intend to use it all before switching to alternative fuel sources.

Thank god for that. Reading "MAGMAAA" every other two posts became quite aggravating.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 07:12:58 pm »

I only dig deep to reach magma. Unless I have coal. Having coal is such a rarity that I actually intend to use it all before switching to alternative fuel sources.

Thank god for that. Reading "MAGMAAA" every other two posts became quite aggravating.

The magma seas have always been annoying for me, either 150~ levels below ground, or literally 20~ below ground.
>_______________<
Plus, I never seem to be able to find coal, or iron. Adamantine and trees seem like the nicest choice to me.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 07:15:14 pm »

The magma seas have always been annoying for me, either 150~ levels below ground, or literally 20~ below ground.
>_______________<
Plus, I never seem to be able to find coal, or iron. Adamantine and trees seem like the nicest choice to me.
I can find Iron quite well on most occasions.
It's usually accompanied by coke materials.
Plus, I just got an embark that includes Iron ores, and Flux!
STEEL, BABY, HERE I COOOOME!
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 07:22:06 pm »

Ha ha, on one of my 4x4 embarks, I didn't even bother looking for iron - Found 4 adamantine pillars.

Used bolt smelting exploit, bottom line is, after decades, I had over what I swore was 2000 adamantine wafer's worth of crap. Wait, that means I must've burnt down over 4000 trees....

O___O

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 07:24:15 pm »

Actually, he got muted for making rape jokes.

Uh, yes, that's true, I didn't find them funny at all.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5