Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Why dig deep?  (Read 6508 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Why dig deep?
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2011, 11:54:29 pm »

Sure I can. I welcome all beings that wish to ally/assist me with open arms and a kind heart, elves included.

As long as the entity in question is willing to accept me as the absolute highest power in existence, my territory is a judgement-free zone.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2011, 06:56:42 am »

Do not abandon the thread yet!

Back on topic:
The main reason I usualy try to dig depper is wood, you can  never have enough wood.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2011, 07:13:41 am »

and dont forget, the dorfs run stairs as fast as they run flat ground, so its easier to group stuff around a vertical stairway than to spread it out horizontally
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2011, 09:30:12 am »

It has enough uses to generally make it worth it.

Pop the caverns for underground trees and plants
  Bonus points for creating a pump stack to irrigate tree farms for huge amounts of wood

Mod the raws and capture/train voracious cave crawlers and giant earthworms

Magma is appreciated when you need to smelt 6000+ units of galena

Clowns are amusing when prodded. Flesh-eating diseases spread by dogs doubly so.

Caverns are a mildly safe source of bones to supply the marksdwarves with the 1000's of bolts they need.

You can use the pump stack to make a massive dam/reservoir to flood the map with.
  You'll need some pretty smexy storm drains to keep your hobos safe

Where else to send the kitten explorers?

More ore,flux, and gems is nice too

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2011, 10:08:11 am »

Do trees grow faster in muddied ground? (Oh snap! I started another huge discussion about mud. :-\)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2011, 10:08:27 am »

Caverns are also the only source of Nethercap, the only magma-safe wood. Keep your beer cold with it!

EDIT (due to ninja):
Do trees grow faster in muddied ground? (Oh snap! I started another huge discussion about mud. :-\)

Trees/Fungi can only grow on soil/mud. No difference in growth rate.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2011, 02:32:04 pm »

Well, DF elves have proven they can be awesome... When raised by dwarves.

The whole immortality thing is a bit of a boon too I would guess.

My life's dream is to win a huge lottery, pay Toady obscene amounts of money to license the game code, set up a dev shop and create..

ELF FOREST

The goal is to raise a forest and train animals to be annoying pains in the ass. The end game is sending a caravan to a working embark in someone's DF game and release the PITA animals (sort of a pun, there) into the DF embark before trading away all the lovely tree stuffs and cloth. If the caravan comes back, it comes back. In any case, the animals proceed to bring FUN to the DF player, and DF multiplayer is achieved.  ;D

Back on topic... A working glass industry is why I dig. Without magma--and I guess bituminous coal became extinct since I last played--fuel is a giant pain to find. Choices for bins and barrels come down to wood (uses fuel and bedmaking material,) metal (uses fuel) or glass (gather sand, ugh). Or I guess claymaking, but I haven't played around with that yet other than to note that rock and most clay pots are porous and can't store the precious booze (and I think glazing uses ash, which consumes wood--again.) Glass is the easiest option for pots, 'bins' and cages.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:36:53 pm by eggrock »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]