Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can migrant waves be capped?  (Read 833 times)

thehippopotamus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can migrant waves be capped?
« on: November 13, 2011, 04:23:17 pm »

I'm sorry if this has a well established answer but I can't find a definitive one. I enjoy this game but feel like you receive way too many migrants which seems to turn the focus away from struggling to survive to struggling to build bedrooms. Yes, I know MAGMA, but I was hoping there was a way to cap the size of migrant waves at 5 so as to allow a steady trickle versus an insane deluge. I've read that you can edit the point at which waves stop, so I guess I can do that after the third or forth wave until FUN requires I let more in, but it would be lovely if there was an editable cap for the individual waves.
*In reasons you love DF thread*
57. You ask people for tasks and are disappointed when they don't tell you to kill a Winged Iron Giant Lobster that lives in a makeshift shrine.

Quote from Girlinhat:
"Dwarf up.  Don your leather armor and wooden axe, and go slaughter 10,000 zombie bull sharks.  Your beard has lost its luster in these years of plenty."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Can migrant waves be capped?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 04:25:57 pm »

Well if you don't want to kill them with magma, why not water? :P

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 04:31:56 pm »

limit the pop cap to 80 or something, babies ignore it so you will live off the offspring.
(through init editing)
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 04:40:52 pm »

as sort of said before

you can edit the population cap of your fort. Migration will only happen if someting caused your fort to drop below that level (i put it at 105), but pregnancies and children from your dorf will occur as normally would. edit it in the init file. How can be found somewhere in the wiki, i'm too lazy to look it up for you. If you're too lazy to, shame on you :p

you can NOT influence how many migrants you get. Well, in a way you can. It seems to depend on how much too much you gave the visiting merchant from your capital. The more you give, the more and better the migrants, supposedly

never tried it myself
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.