Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How many crisises has your fort survived?  (Read 3728 times)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: How many crisises has your fort survived?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 04:48:45 am »

The life of my current fortress, Wheelsbasis, (including Fort Defence Mod) goes a little like this:

- Welp. I embarked on a true volcano; it actually went into a mountain instead of a hole in the ground. Cool; I'll dig into the mountain then I'll build around the volcano.

- Oh, I didn't know there was a hole to the third cavern from the surface. I can see a troll down there. Oh well, gotta get those defences!

- First migrant wave, then first siege. My two legendary miners were drafted to fight Stranglers, the one original died. The remaining original 6 are unhappy.

- Year 2 and half. A Forgotten Beast? Now? It's made out of pyrite! It shoots fire!? IT FLIES?!?!?!

- And lo, the beast did smiteth 70 out of 85 of our dwarves. Everything is on fire. He was slewn by white tigermen, who are now in my base.

- My remaining 15, except the 5 of which are legendary crossbow dwarves and don't care about anything, are all unhappy. And are locked in the food and wood storage. The siege is waiting outside of the walls. We have no miners.

- We ran out of drink. I made a carpenters shop, a still (the originals are outside) and three barrels for beer. :C

- Ran out again. 4 died of thirst, one of which was the marksdwarf. The strangler's sieged and are waiting with the tigermen.

- The tigermen dissipated. We opened the walls and the marksdwarfs killed and routed the strangers, but we lost a few. We're down to 2 marksdwarves, 4 civilians who are all unhappy and half of which are tantruming.

- They all run to the drink stockpile. We get migrants; 25 of them. Wheelsbasis will live on!

It's been a decade since the closest to defeat I've been, in year 2 and a half of this fort's life, and the two crossbow dwarves live to this day (the civilians died of insanity, one of the crossbow dwarves is missing a nose and her legs). We can hold off even the war elephants and giant cave spider invaders. All across my halls are engravings of dwarves being strangled, stabbed or burnt from the holocaust of Wheelsbasis.

I love this game.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Clotifoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 05:46:20 pm »

Basic human challenge, clay buildings, all aboveground except for mines for metal, mostly wooden objects etc. + Dig Deeper mod.  I'd like to say this is the first real "challenge"; a black bear is wandering through town, stealing food and generally disrupting everything.  Would be cool except that building the next building requires trucking clay all the way across town, so all my dwarves just fleed into the wilderness.  Not sure if the black bear has the powers to butcher dwarves, so bumrushing is risky if possible at all.

Also running low on booze in a cold biome, so that might be the second crisis.
"What's the deep dark pit, that turns mining operations to shit?"  "The shaft!"  "You see this shaft is a bad mother--"
"Shut your mouth!"
"But I'm talkin' about the shaft!"
"Then we can dig it."

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 06:17:24 pm »

My forts rarely survive player frustration.  I get to a mostly-stable position then realize how much /more/ work is required to actually do what I wanted to do on the embark and delete all my saves.  Or I get to a mostly-stable position then realize I want to super-plan my fort from the beginning rather than organically grow like I had been doing and delete all my saves.

I think I'm going to delete my saves again today.

Clotifoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 07:56:12 pm »

Basic human challenge, clay buildings, all aboveground except for mines for metal, mostly wooden objects etc. + Dig Deeper mod.  I'd like to say this is the first real "challenge"; a black bear is wandering through town, stealing food and generally disrupting everything.  Would be cool except that building the next building requires trucking clay all the way across town, so all my dwarves just fleed into the wilderness.  Not sure if the black bear has the powers to butcher dwarves, so bumrushing is risky if possible at all.

Also running low on booze in a cold biome, so that might be the second crisis.

Black bear killed 4 of em- after an epic battle my leader/hunter barehandedly fought the bear Princetangled enough for it to retreat, which itself provided time for the hunter to grabs a couple quivers of kitten bone bolts and after jumping to the top of the recently created watchtower, killed the bear from afar, going from Proficient to Talented Marksdwarf.  He also got Adequate Fighter and Novice Wrestler for his troubles.

However, the tantrum spiral began as the miner whose lover had just been killed cried on the leader's shoulder, then decided to swing his pick into his kneecaps.  Both legs fractured and a minor hand injury before it all was done.  The settlement did not have any supplies whatsoever and one of the very unhappy carpenters was sent to make a crutch and a bucket, raising him to unhappy as he was satisfied with his work.  After a long drawn out amount of time, the leader slowly recovered in the makeshift hospital on the as-of-yet unused ground floor of the granary.  He's now hunting with both legs still broken, managing a crossbow and a quiver despite both legs being useless.

Crisis Part III: All my crops are wilted, drink is now at 0 and it's Early Autumn, which means freezing is imminent, not to mention that due to my low wealth level (desired!) no new migrants came, leaving us with 10 dwarves to continue starting their new life.
"What's the deep dark pit, that turns mining operations to shit?"  "The shaft!"  "You see this shaft is a bad mother--"
"Shut your mouth!"
"But I'm talkin' about the shaft!"
"Then we can dig it."

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 11:58:27 pm »

Dike-Faith, my old fort of 55-dwarfs, has survived starvation while the first dwarven caravan was in the depot. We ran out of food, and seven people resorted to catching and eating live vermin to survive. I ordered plump helmets to be grown, but they would still take another month to grow. I finally got desperate and seized everything from the caravan. (forbidded the depot and hid it till the traders left) This fort is now undergoing a drink shortage, but desperate attempts are being made to raise the booze levels. (drink level has gone up significantly from 24 to 67)

Pawns4Mons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 02:16:56 am »

70 population smooth sailing until I attacked a bunch of elves because they insulted me (they refuse to take wood stuff and call me an asshole for offering it in trade even though they are selling the exact same thing) Little did I know they had a badass crossbowman who put himself in an elevated place and killed 30 fucking dorfs. I rebuilt after he limped off the map. 160 dorfs and goblins siege me. I lose 25 before i shut the doors. I said fuck it and built a training room, trained 30 dorfs all at once (it was a hassle) and I murdered all the goblins.

I got cocky after that and started sending raid parties into my wide not sealed off in any way and totally accessable cavern. of course I got an acid spitting fly and a lobster (never met the lobster) but the fly took out 30 of my best military dorfs (the acid melting my dwarfs was unexpected). then 25 recruits lost all morale and started fight club in the dining hall, thats when my best hammerdwarf lost his marbles and killed around 20 dwarfs, at least half of them were already wounded and in the hospital. people just kept dying and I ended up at like 40 dwarfs, started working on a 10x10 training room after that and i got up to 170 in a few seasons (i guess the migrants didnt mind all the death) and then I hit the FPS cap and had to abandon ship.
Pages: 1 [2]